SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Trouble installing rear differential bushings

Hey all,

I'm swallowing my pride and coming to you guys for help. I've got my car up on stands in my friend's garage with the whole back end torn apart, and I've had to resign myself to being driven around by my girlfriend until I get this job finished.

I took the easy way out and didn't lower the rear differential to do the job, as others here have suggested, but I can't get the new ones to press in. The muffler is out, and the swaybar is lowered out of the way, so I've got plenty of room to work on it in the back. But I can't get the replacements to seat into the holes in the subframe straight. With the diff in place I can not access the front side of the subframe to clamp it in from the center, and when I try to clamp the outside edges it just does one edge while the other pops out. Am I missing a tool that would put pressure on both sides of the bushing while squeezing it in? Does the diff absolutely have to come down to access the front side of the subframe to clamp to it? And lastly which way do the new ones go in? I assume that the protruding side of the bushing goes in front toward the diff, but as my old ones were so rotted out I couldn't tell.

Any advise would be a huge help. I'd love to get my AWD back on the road during this storm that just hit. Thanks in advance for your input.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Re: Trouble installing rear differential bushings

I've been searching all day for input on this. Everybody else seems to have more trouble getting the old ones out. I may have broken an air saw on my first attempt, but it turns out a Sawzall is just what you need.

I found this post explaning which direction the bushings go back in (protruding side first), so that's one question down. Still not sure how to get the new ones in though. Dropping the whole diff seems like it might be more than I can handle in case I break a seal or mess up my CV joints then I've done more damage than repair.

I know this is real beginner stuff, but the extent of my mechanical experience is in my signature. I would have taken it to a shop to do this, but I've talked to three Subaru mechanics in LA, and none of them are willing to work on my car. If I don't do it myself, it won't get done.
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Last edited by K_Dub; 01-18-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Bad idea
Old 01-18-2010, 08:50 PM

Registered SVX

Did you talk to Renner? I'm sure they would have no problem doing this.

www.rennermotorsport.com
Old 01-19-2010, 07:04 AM

Registered SVX

have you tried using a 2x4 or dowel to hold against the bushing, and using a hammer to install them? may not be the best way, but as long as you are not trying to be sammy sosa you should be alright. i would try to just get them seated that way and then try to press them the rest of the way if possible
Old 01-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Well, I got the job done! A little birdy told me that Earthworm's diff bushings may be a bit too big to fit. I took the bench grinder to them, and just shaved them a bit, and then used a 2x4 with a hole and hammered them in. They're still very tight in there (took a lot of banging and clamping to get them all the way in), so I'm not sure how that would have worked without a little grinding. They certainly aren't coming out of there now.

Also got the 15min mod done while I was down there. My car has gone from the sloppiest of sloppy rear ends to being nice and firm. Huge improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
Did you talk to Renner? I'm sure they would have no problem doing this.

www.rennermotorsport.com
I had these guys confused with "Rennick Motorsports" (formerly ISR) who've done me wrong in the past. I clicked around in that link and realized that it's two different shops. My car is going in for bearings and a CV boot soon, and I still don't know where to take it. I spoke with "Doug's Legacy Automotive" in Van Nuys; the guy sounded pretty cool, and said he'd love to have an SVX back in the shop. I'll have to hit them both up and see what's what. Thanks for the link. I'll let you know who does the work, and how it goes, 'cause finding a mechanic in this town is a real pain. I figure if any of the local SVXers has a good experience with a shop they'd probably get a lot of business from us. I just haven't heard of a good one yet.

Last edited by K_Dub; 01-20-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:11 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I'm a little late but for future reference, you can put the bushings in the freezer the night before. The day you do your install heat up the subframe holes, grab your frozen bushings and hammer them in.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 01-20-2010, 06:42 PM

Registered SVX

i will have to keep that method in mind for when i do my rear bushings. I don't know why I did not think of that one myself, since its how they install freeze-plugs on airplanes where I work. (hence the name...freeze-plug).

Good to hear you got them in. If your like me then its "one down, and too many to go." haha