How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath
AWD compatibility with FWD axles results

i couldnt find this in a search, so posted this. hope this isnt a repost of some sort! (though im guessing it is)

So i just took a set of AWD axles to work and compared to brand new (not rebuilt) FWD axles. the splines(is that what theyre called) seemed to be the same with a caliper STRICTLY ON SIZE ALONE as the dial was broken, all i could do was measure and lock it.

length was a bit longer on the awd one, but i think thats cause it was old and mushy, and the new one was new and... well, not mushy. but it wasnt mutch longer... now, the steering knuckle side, you have the part that slides in with the spines, and right next to that is another smooth part that slides into the knuckle. the AWD one was 3-4 mm larger. enough to cause alot of play. which will be an issue.

Finally, the result is, no, FWD acles will NOT fit on an AWD car.

im sure someone may chime in and say "well, duh, of course not!" but i wanted to find out once and for all.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:10 PM

Re: AWD compatibility with FWD axles results

Well, I hate to disagree... but I put two FWD front axles from a '94 into my '95 AWD LSi a couple years ago. Maybe they weren't meant to fit, or to be used that way, but I drove it for 5-6 months before selling it and never noticed a problem. I didn't get out the measuring tape or calipers before installing them, but they did look a little heftier than the AWD axles. I don't remember them being particularly difficult to install, either.

Are you saying the 'smooth part' behind the splines was 3-4 mm larger in diameter? Are you talking about the part that 'steps up' to about the same diameter as the CV joint? (not the part that's the same diameter as the shaft). I don't thing that's a 'load bearing' surface- the load is carried by the splined shaft and the smooth curved part of the shaft which rests against the inner hub bearing race. Obviously if the side of the CV joint is bigger than the steering knuckle opening (AWD axle into FWD knuckle) then it won't work, but I'm not sure why Subaru would use different front knuckles for FWD and AWD... or different axles for that matter, but clearly there is some difference.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner

Last edited by davew833; 11-04-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:10 PM

hmm... possibly it was the amount of build up and crud on it that made the differance? now im second guessing myself! i have a 94lsi, and grabbed a 94 fwd axle, and they were nearly identical except for that one part that was slightly smaller, but the strange thing is, they were larger on the awd shafts! maybe somethings up w my car, or the axles in store. but whatever the case, you are correct in saying that the one part isnt load bearing, just the spines. so i have a axle that is seperated at the outer boot, im taking the outer section to work with me and playing around with it when it gets slow. just to see.

has anyone else used FWD axles on the AWD car? if more then one person has, ill go with the FWD axles, as we have new GSP ones in stock, lifetime warranty, with my discount! that makes them $56 each! so any others use these axles instead?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:18 PM

turns out the # of splines are the same for the fwd and awd one. im thinking it has to do with one set being brand new and clean, and the other not. ill see hopefully.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:53 PM

yeah, i was wrong! new axles next paycheck! by then, all ill need is new tires, and getting the axles in!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:03 AM

Congrats on that! I just did the axles, calipers and brakes. Knew I needed new tires already, but just found out my radiator has a nice little crack in it. Thankfully its small enough that I can still drive it as long as I watch the coolant level, but still needs to be replaced nonetheless. Fun stuff...
Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeJaye View Post
Congrats on that! I just did the axles, calipers and brakes. Knew I needed new tires already, but just found out my radiator has a nice little crack in it. Thankfully its small enough that I can still drive it as long as I watch the coolant level, but still needs to be replaced nonetheless. Fun stuff...
Careful...

Keith