Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I only began to have this problem when I swapped my 94 motor out for a 92 with less mileage. I did check all of the vaccum lines before the install. I also used the TB from my 94 motor, so I think it is something to do with...... I have no idea

Tom
Old 08-29-2005, 05:53 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjjensen
reviving an old thread - the last post seems to be from March of 2005.

I'm starting my conversion and who knows if I'll wind up with this problem. I'll be using an '04 WRX tranny with a stock WRX flywheel.

Everyone that has done this swap has tricked the ECU into thinking it is in N or P correct? Why not leave it to think the transmission is in the D position? I know that there is high idle involved in that trick but I'd think it would be easier to lower the idle output from the ECU rather than raise it.

The Starter won't engage if the ECU thinks the car is in drive, hence the need to trick it into thinking its in Nuetral or Park, but if you wire in the Clutch position switch, it only thinks it's in nuetral when you have the clutch depressed...., it thinks it's in drive when not on the clutch...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Resurrecting Old Thread

Thought I would resurrect this old thread because it seems to be a problem that hasn't yet been fully resolved. Now I'm in it big as the proud new owner of a 5MT, reportedly with the stall chartacteristic. (Don't yet have personal experience with it yet, as I haven't yet picked up my car from Tom). In Tom's latest 5MT installed thread, there was a lot of discussion of the issue, before the conversation took a different turn. I got interested by the dashpot idea, and did some web-searching. Seems like stalling with carburetted engines was a pretty common problem, and dashpots were a common solution. Since I don't have my car yet, can't even look at the throttle lever and cable hook-up to see if a dashpot could be fitted in to slow the closure of the throttle when the cable is released. There seem to be dashpots available, so I guess its just a question of whether or not one can be attached in the right position.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 01-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Maniac modifier

anything can be done Dan, even if I have to fab up a couple brackets to make it work.

Tom
Old 01-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

So this is what a dashpot looks like in concept

And here's one for sale at Summit Racing.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 01-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Maniac modifier

I would have to have it in my hands and under the hood to say if I could definately do it or not

Tom
Old 01-19-2006, 07:42 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I've scoped it out. There's enough room to do it, and the layout is ok for it. Its just a matter of fabricating brackets.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Summit Racing and maybe others have brackets for mounting the dashpot. It might be easier to mod them. Take a look at their catalogue.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Don't screw with the Dragon

Send a message via AIM to Jade Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Jade Dragon
To raise the idle, its easy. I did this to my 93 legacy. unscrew your TPS and adjust it up/down until you find the idle you want. the ecu thinks its getting the correct data, so it wont adjust it down
Old 01-20-2006, 06:02 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

The dashpot doesn't really raise the idle speed. It basically acts as a cushion to give the throttle actuator lever a soft landing when it is abruptly released by lifting off the accelerator. The throttle closes normally and the idle is at normal speed after a brief delay. This delay avoids stalling the engine.

Old 01-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
The dashpot sounds like a good idea. Are any of you working on that? Just for my own information/curiosity does anybody with a manual transmission from a non turbo car have the stall problem? It seems to me if everyone who has the pull type throw out bearing has the stall problem and nobody who has the push type throw out bearing does that that is good information to know. When our understanding and the facts don't mesh it's our understanding that needs to change.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Maniac modifier

My Sti 6 speed doesn't stall. And my old 4.115mt from an N/A imprezza did. it is more reliant on the engine than anything else. When I blew my 94's motor, I swapped in a 92 engine. Then it started to stall. Take that for what you will

Tom
Old 01-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
got ya. well you are around a lot of manual conversions do you think the stall problem is more common with the pull type clutch or is it a completely irrelevant coincidence that so many of the people with the stall problem have the wrx tranny?

So anybody tried the dash pot yet? It seems to me if it's air then the dashpot will fix it. If it's fuel then I'll fix it. I'm going to change the minimum pulsewidth in stage 2v6.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
got ya. well you are around a lot of manual conversions do you think the stall problem is more common with the pull type clutch or is it a completely irrelevant coincidence that so many of the people with the stall problem have the wrx tranny?

So anybody tried the dash pot yet? It seems to me if it's air then the dashpot will fix it. If it's fuel then I'll fix it. I'm going to change the minimum pulsewidth in stage 2v6.
Michael,
Any feel for when you'll have the 2v6 chip available?
-Bill (currently planning on installing his 2v5 chip today...)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Maniac modifier

I feel the ECU is to blame. It is not setup for a Manual trans so when the engine is on decel, there is next to no rotational mass attached so it drops too fast for the IAC to compensate for. If you could fix it to speed up the IAC's reaction I feel the problem would be solved

Tom