Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2010, 07:37 PM

Registered SVX
Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Try to follow me on this one. It may be a cheaper alternative to making a custom Y-pipe for a coolant crossover.

Take your OEM coolant pipe, and tap a hole on either side toward the front of the block. Insert brass threaded fittings, and use a flex hose between the two fittings. The point would be to bypass the portion on the rear side of the block that connects the two sides. Coolant will still flow throughout the entire assembly, and equalize pressure as well. My thought here is this would help coolant travel from the driver side head to the radiator.

Rebuttals?

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 09-15-2010, 10:29 PM

Cam the difference in the left and right head coolant flow is nine tenth's of sweet f all. So if that the purpose of what you are trying to do the gain won't improve cooling. You still need to address the vacum issue on the pump or you won't have coolant to transfer.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Cam the difference in the left and right head coolant flow is nine tenth's of sweet f all. So if that the purpose of what you are trying to do the gain won't improve cooling. You still need to address the vacum issue on the pump or you won't have coolant to transfer.
Tony

You mentioned you think your issue is resolved. When will you have a chance to track the car again to verify?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Tony
It was simply an idea to replace fabricating a y-pipe. The other modifications would still be needed.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 09-16-2010, 01:34 PM

Chuck Matt has raced his twice and it runs cool. In his case the only change he made was the bottom pipe out of the radiator and the thermo cover. I understand he will race again in November. In my case it will be next year due to the silly season at work,
Cam I persoanly would not change the top pipe as I haven't seen any reason for it on my test bench, but that just my preferance.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Putting the theory to test here stateside myself(50mm inlet, inline upper thermo)

Some pics of the setup here as I'm throwing the car back together now. Been off the road for over a month now and I'm ancy to drive it again.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 PM

Registered SVX

Interesting approach! I'll be watching your tests.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:17 AM

Looking good Adam I really like the way you got the feed system to the pump.
Tony
Old 09-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

that's the drop-in fitment sti radiator I had in there, just crudely modified to suit this test for now. I have a full griffin core that, if this works like it should, I'll be making my own core tanks without all the crap on them that had to be blocked off due to the new routing.

Should be running and up on the dyno ~ sat or so.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:39 AM

Adam depending on the core size at full revs you may get some coolant out the overflow due to top tank pressure. When you go to final design its best with side tanks.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Adam depending on the core size at full revs you may get some coolant out the overflow due to top tank pressure. When you go to final design its best with side tanks.

Never had an issue with this rad before. My overflow is not at the radiator. That cap there is just to let air out of the system while filling to speed up the process. Main pressure cap is up off the surge tank.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

This one's for you Team Ill.(lolz)

Update for you folks.

Car has been running just fine, and by fine I mean no more than 186F on the dyno running 3rd gear at 5500rpm for over two minutes flat with nothing more than dyno blower fan airflow over the rad.

Winnar winnar chikan dinnar!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
"You speak as if your issue is resolved with the increased suction opening. Is it? "

I don't mean to sound like a smart ass but as far as I am concerned the problem is solved. You need to do the following:-

High Flow radiator.
50mm suction inlet to pump and radiator outlet.
A side tank radiator with the cap on the suction side.
The thermstate must be moved to the top of the radiator (Tom's idea).

I can assure you that if this is done any cooling issue are solved and the SVX will have no problem keeping cool.

Have a gret day.
Tony
Ok so as I see it this is your end all be all of fixing the perpetual chain effect caused by the modifications, right? Say for example though, you add in forced induction into the equation and more horsepower and torque is being put out from the engine. Will these modifications withstand the increase of power, or are we back on square one with the cooling issues?

definitely a lot of good knowledge here, I don't know much about fluid dynamics but have learned a smidge from this thread.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxersix View Post
This one's for you Team Ill.(lolz)

Update for you folks.

Car has been running just fine, and by fine I mean no more than 186F on the dyno running 3rd gear at 5500rpm for over two minutes flat with nothing more than dyno blower fan airflow over the rad.

Winnar winnar chikan dinnar!
Great news Adam I think we have got it beat.

As regards increase power or forced injection the answer is Yes. I will quilify that by saying your radiator needs to be big enough and air flow needs to be high enough to transfer the heat.
The abilty of the block to transfer heat to the coolant is a "fixed surface area" so if you need to get more heat out of the engine the coolant needs to return from the radiator as cool as possiable.
With out try to baffle you with Bull____T the rule is,
"Greater the difference between the coolant and the block for a given flow the greater the transfer of heat from the block in a give time"

Hope that helps.
Tony
Old 10-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

I have a 170F thermo in it. Normal temp while driving fully warmed is 168-175 pending vehicles speed. On the dyno it creeped to 186F after a minute of constant running, then held steady until I took my foot off the throttle some odd 60-80 seconds later

If people want I can fab a few of these 50mm pump inlets for those looking to do this. Will be a straight lip, you'll just have to modify your radiator to suit and use an appropriate 2" ID hose.