How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2010, 05:17 PM

My move from Pittsburgh to San Diego and a Pep Boys along the way.

Well I am on my way to San Diego finally not really much to talk about pretty boring drive so far...I am in Baton Rouge visiting family for now.........When I left Pittsburgh I thought about getting the A/C operating but since I bought the car in October last year and until I left there wasn't any need with the weather as cold as it had been. Well let me tell you I got to Louisiana and need to do something quick the weather wasn't all that hot but driving was getting a little uncomfortable for me. The car still had the old R-12 system and I don't know much about A/C systems at all. Well I didn't know where to go around here but thought I would try and find the local Subaru Dealership, well Baton Rouge doesn't have one! I went to a few local shops and they took one look at the car and said they couldn't help me. I finally went to Pep Boys who said they would take a look at it, so I left it with them and headed back to my dad's house. Six hours went by and I hadn't heard from them so I called. They told me the compressor was frozen and they couldn't find another around this area at all. Well when I got there to pick it up the started playing paper work shuffle, which I thought to be a little odd. The next morning I went to the local parts store and got the R-134a conversion and retrofit kit just to try it and see.....Well low and behold 1 12oz can later the A/C was blowing ice cold holding correct pressure and no leaks that I can find........I went back to pep boys and they tried telling me that I must have replaced the compressor because they were 100% positive that my compressor was frozen. Well I started to raise my voice about being lied to at the service counter and the manager graciously refunded my money they had charged me for the a/c evaluation..........I am here for a few more days then on to a couple of stops in Texas before finishing my trip..........