Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2005, 11:57 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Lightbulb Quaife ATB Differential, a possibly good modification?

Whilst looking up information on the Ford Focus RS. I discovered some things behind its technical specs and how it makes such a great handling car with plenty of punch. From a video review I saw about it on Top Gear they talked about a special differential that gave it improved acceleration, handling and throttle response. However the trade off seemed to be some major torque steer during a daily drive up a windy road in Scotland. So when looking up information on a proof of a probable Cosworth Focus being put into production I found some technical tidbits on the Focus RS. One which caught my eye was the special differential it used is the Quaife Differential, which is actually found factory equipped in some in some cars while you for others you can order it from their in-house aftermarket supplier such as Mopar for the SRT-4. This page explains some of the technical details behind how it works and what it does.

When I looked up the list of which cars Quaife supplies diffs for, it sell both front and rear diffs for the Subaru WRX (since WRX have AWD), but interestingly enough it says it is not compatible with STis. Since the SVX is capable of using tranny parts from almost any other Subaru in their production from 1990+ (Has there been any successful transplant of the 5 speed auto?) so I figured this should work as well. One of the things that peaked my interest towards the application of thing in the SVX is the fact that this diff actively applies traction to the wheel that has stronger grip without retarding the other. In other words it would not only give the SVX more whp but also the affect of our transfer clutch AWD SVX having VTD without that traction retarded stuff.

So what this means is that this might be great for your average SVX, but also even better for any SVX that has Stage II and whom somebody who has it has been typing about getting even better drag times if it is not for wheel slippage (I am not good with remember names, not even usernames ). And to longassname, perhaps this may reduce your tire spinning time for the Stage III SVX to perhaps half a second at least. Or even SVXRide's Auto-X SVX might see improvement, if this doesn't mess with SCCA rules of course . As for it having the torque steer issued that seem plague the Focus RS, I don't think there would be too much torque steer since I am talking about the AWD SVX. But you can always try it with a FWD SVX and it might not be as affected as much either since it is larger than a Focus with a larger N/A engine as well that probably has a more balanced torque curve.

So what da ya think?

Last edited by Weebitob; 04-23-2005 at 12:07 AM.