Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-05-2018, 04:02 PM

Troubles with 1992 SVX transmission

I bought a 1992 SVX a while ago with a bad transmission (had exploded into little bits inside).

I swapped in a new transmission from a 1998 Legacy Outback, along with the rear diff from said Outback to match the 4.44 final drive ratio.

It is all together now and runs and drives perfectly. It shifts through all four gears very smoothly and without any slipping or issues or anything.

The only issue is it won't go into reverse. It is not that it slips in reverse or works sometimes, it simply doesn't work at all in any way ever. Reverse may as well be a second neutral because I could leave it sitting with the engine on and in reverse for hours and it wouldn't move. I put it up in the air and had a buddy put it in and out of reverse. Aside from the manual valve moving with the shift lever, there are no sounds of any solenoids moving or anything. Its like it simply isn't even trying.

The fluid level is correct, and it is brand new clean fluid. I tried moving the shift lever around in the area of reverse a bit to see if the shift link was just a bit off, but it still did nothing.

Is this an issue that anyone has run into before?