Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 08-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Hydra Nemesis

and no stalling with the 5 spd/Hydra set up, right?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-31-2009, 04:25 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

The first thing I noticed when I drove Sov13t's 6 speed was how incredibly smooth the car is driving around at parking lot speeds. There was no shuddering, bucking or overall jerkiness that you experience with a 5 speed an upgraded clutch setup. It ran very well overall and I was very impressed.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 08-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
and no stalling with the 5 spd/Hydra set up, right?
-Bill
Safety first Wally

Tom
Old 09-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Hydra Nemesis - The only reason I still own an SVX.

How about that for a tag line

-Sov13t.

Last edited by Sov13t; 09-01-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:28 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko

Fantastic to see a standalone reflashable ECU for the SVX. The icing on the cake is that the price is very reasonable. One word of caution for you folks though - I hope the Nemesis as some sort of knock measurement algorithm and a knock based timing retard system, otherwise you're going to have much more of a challenge safely tuning the motor.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Yes, the Hydra has knock maps, fuel cut maps, Make me a sammich map, bored in traffic map... traction maps...

Too bad SVX owners are generally cheap, and do not realize that the $$$ vs benefit is off the charts with this EMS.

-Sov13t.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post
Yes, the Hydra has knock maps, fuel cut maps, Make me a sammich map, bored in traffic map... traction maps...

Too bad SVX owners are generally cheap, and do not realize that the $$$ vs benefit is off the charts with this EMS.

-Sov13t.
I feel for your perspective, but I can't really fault SVX owners for being cheap. One of the attractions of the SVX has been an interesting car for not much money. And realistically, since there isn't much more that can be had over the stock tune with an NA motor, the Nemesis is only needed for people who plan to turbo or SC the motor. Its perfect for those people though, and they should all be buying one.

RE: knock maps/algorithm - Not much use if they aren't properly calibrated. Has anyone (e.g. Hydra or some fanatical member) generated an accurate table or tuned the algorithm?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko View Post
I feel for your perspective, but I can't really fault SVX owners for being cheap. One of the attractions of the SVX has been an interesting car for not much money. And realistically, since there isn't much more that can be had over the stock tune with an NA motor, the Nemesis is only needed for people who plan to turbo or SC the motor. Its perfect for those people though, and they should all be buying one.

RE: knock maps/algorithm - Not much use if they aren't properly calibrated. Has anyone (e.g. Hydra or some fanatical member) generated an accurate table or tuned the algorithm?
The knock function is based on a count threshold. Basically, if the engine sees what needs to be defined as ignition knock beyond a certain count it defaults timing and fuel to a limp home map which flickers the CEL and runs like total crap... I have not been too far into this because I have been setting up really basic road tunes just to get these systems going... I have done my best to make it absolutely clear to all owners it needs to be tuned by a certified Hydra tuner, who should be making the proper trims for knock thresholds

Tom
Old 03-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko View Post

And for the record, there is a lot to gained from this system on any car... Simply the much smoother less raw application and control of the power band is enough for me to want one in a totally stock car

Tom
Old 03-12-2010, 01:00 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
And for the record, there is a lot to gained from this system on any car... Simply the much smoother less raw application and control of the power band is enough for me to want one in a totally stock car

Tom
I totally understand the value even with an NA motor, and if I still had my SVX, I'm sure I'd have a Nemesis by now. Its just an economics thing for most people.

Visit my locker

Old 03-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

my understanding is that unless someone takes it over (aka goes to the training and has a business) these will no longer be available to us because Tom is no longer in the SVX business.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

John,

Sounds like a perfect job for you!

sunvalleyray
Old 03-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Maniac modifier

Not 100% whether or not I will stick around for it, all depends on drive from the community... AKA if it is worth it to me to keep selling them

Tom
Old 03-28-2010, 05:45 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvalleyray View Post
John,

Sounds like a perfect job for you!

sunvalleyray
when I win the lottery or don't lose 170 bucks in wendover.... damn holdum! but yes I'm considering it, but I don't have the financial backing right now, it'll take a while before I'm able to.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

i plan to buy one in the future, hopefully they are still available then