How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-11-2001, 02:55 PM
Lowered SVX

found out what the clunk sound was.

aredub, i went to a porsche, vw, audi shop and had one of their techs drive the car. after three minutes he jumped out of the car and said it is one of three things: sub frame mount, engine mount, or tranny mount. he said the slack i am experience is when the power stops and then the powertrain or motor or whatever rests to its original position. kind of like a whip effect. i dont know but what he is saying makes sense and makes me think it is a tranny mount. if that is the case then i will get it fixed before the meet and hell at the same time get me tranny cooler installed too. i am buying a b&m cooler today for about $69.99. is that high?
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-11-2001, 03:00 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<kind of like a whip effect. >>

Yep, "driveline backlash." Maybe my ears, even through a hangover aren't that bad after all.

<<i am buying a b&m cooler today for about $69.99. is that high?>>

I believe that's about ten bucks more than others have paid, but, I believe those prices were "on line" prices from Summit Racing. Can't remember exactly. Hey, don't you have an "in" at Autozone who could get you something less expensive? J/K
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-11-2001, 03:05 PM
Lowered SVX

you are right on top of it.

she is actually checking as we type. i trust the b&m brand though because some other svxers are currently using it and from my limited knowledge have reported no problems.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-11-2001, 03:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I forgot the "brand name" of mine, but, when I posted it on the Yahoo club, and a link to the page, it used the same graphics as B&M uses on their packaging. Hmmmm. My rebuilder uses the brand he placed on my car because it's used by many NASCAR teams. O'course, I could care less about NASCAR, but, the fact that the "fins actually carry the fluid" is the design I liked, which IS the same as B&M. I could probably find the name by doing a search on the Archive.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-11-2001, 03:16 PM
Lowered SVX

go for it aredub.

the more info. i have the better.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-11-2001, 03:50 PM

Registered SVX
Re: go for it aredub.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
the more info. i have the better.
Leo, here's the home page for the "Perma-Cool" cooler.

http://www.perma-cool.com/
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-11-2001, 03:53 PM
Lowered SVX

it is expensive.

what gvw did you go with aredub?
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-11-2001, 03:56 PM

Registered SVX
Re: it is expensive.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
what gvw did you go with aredub?
Sorry, I don't know. I left it up to the tranny rebuilder. I didn't ask, and he didn't tell (uh, maybe I should rephrase)
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-11-2001, 09:27 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Id bet its the tranny mount, Ive changed one on every SVX Ive owned...about $75 for the part. If not that, it probably one of the motors mounts.
Hey...Ive found the most effecient, free-flow most used in any race car on road or off, Tranny cooler on the market...
Setrab at setrab.com Youll usually find them on off road vehicles and racecars.....did I mention the one appropriate for the SVX runs about $195..?? I put one on my Soarer after I had Art CArr
rebuild the trans. I plan on doing one on my Svx soon. The other brands are decent too....but for anyone with $200 burning a whole in their pocket...lmk....Im a distributer for them now

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 06-12-2001, 08:04 AM
lightning_8669

tranny mount, about $75

That's about what I paid for mine from Couer D'Alene Subaru. Took a while to get it in the mail but was quite a savings over the local guys. Took me about an hour to put it in without the benefit of a hoist. As for engine mounts I don't recall hearing of anyone ever replacing one. In all the years I've owned Subarus I've never done one. But have replaced trans and rear diff mount on several.

The cooler I installed on mine was a B&M cooler ordered online from Jeg's. About $50. Mine is for a GVW of 24,000 Lbs. I mounted it on the engine cooling fan bracket behind the radiator. You might be able to get by with the next size down and mount it out front of the the AC condenser. I chose mine because a buddy has one that's slightly larger in his 750 HP dragster running a modified Turbohydramatic 400 trans. If it can keep that monster cool......

Last edited by lightning_8669; 06-12-2001 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-12-2001, 08:09 AM

Registered SVX
<<Id bet its the tranny mount, Ive changed one on every SVX Ive owned...about $75 for the part. If not that, it probably one of the motors mounts.>>

I'm gonna vote "tranny mount." The reason being, when my rear diff mount went out, it manifested itself with a "clunk" in reverse. When I drove Leo's car, the clunk came when letting up off the throttle. I didn't notice a "clunk" when I backed the car up. O'course, I'm no expert (right eddy?). Leo, let us know what you find out.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 06-12-2001 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-12-2001, 08:11 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: go for it aredub.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Leo, here's the home page for the "Perma-Cool" cooler.

http://www.perma-cool.com/

Okay, I was wrong. It was "Tru-Cool" (I knew it was "Cool" something or "Something" cool). Looked on the bill, it was a 39.00 line item. Still did not list GVW.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-12-2001, 08:24 AM
Lowered SVX

thanks for all of the info.....

my bet was that it was a tranny mount too because if i keep the accelerator engaged there is no clunk it only does it when i left off the gas and then reapply and it usually only does it at low rpms. i am taking the car in tomorrow and getting the mount replaced, brake lines flushed and fluid replaced, and i am getting my b&m tranny cooler installed. the cooler was $59.99 here local and is rated at 24,000 GVW's. i was reading the instructions and they said that if you installed the cooler behind the radiator it was only 60% effecient?! it is only 100% effecient if it is installed in the front of the radiator. there was some other condition where it was 75% effecient. damn my memory sucks sorry. anyway these guys are good and they will find the best spot for it. i also have a slight rattle in my front suspension still, especially near the right front so i am going to have them give my suspension a good once over to see if something is loose. my love, my life, my money.......the svx!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-12-2001, 08:33 AM
lightning_8669

only 60% effecient?!

I chose the rear of the fan location for two reasons; one: ease of install and inspection. And two: in traffic the fans will also do a better job of cooling it than if it was outboard of the condenser.

The 75% rating was if you "sandwiched" it between the condenser and radiator. Be careful there, there is a "cooler" for the powersteering located between the two other cooling components.

Also, 24,000 X .60 = 14,400 Lbs. The SVX is heavy but she isn't THAT heavy. (and aredub don't go getting on the fat lady thing again either ) I do know the 24,000 GVW won't fit outfront of the condenser without permanently removing a frame member. I have heard of people putting them in one of the wheel wells but am not sure how it gets air across it in that location.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-12-2001, 09:02 AM
Lowered SVX

thanks for the explanation

that makes good sense to me. if that is the easiest most logical location then i will go with that. i dont want to destroy anything and i dont really see how the fender location would work either. aredub has his installed belowe the radiator but in that location and with my luck something would destroy the damn thing. anyway i will probably get it installed behind the radiator.
"Too much fun to drive!"