Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects

Old 08-26-2011, 09:51 AM

Supercharger on stock internals?

Anyone running a s/c on stock internals? If so how much boost? What can the stock engine handle? I really want to build a block, but no idea how long that is going to take and that intake manifold is going to be staring me down all the time. Lol. I know more needs to be done to manage a s/c just wondering if the stock refreshed engine can handle boost from an M90!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Supercharger on stock internals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by httrdd View Post
Anyone running a s/c on stock internals? If so how much boost? What can the stock engine handle? I really want to build a block, but no idea how long that is going to take and that intake manifold is going to be staring me down all the time. Lol. I know more needs to be done to manage a s/c just wondering if the stock refreshed engine can handle boost from an M90!
Yes, I installed one on mine last night. Start with 20 psi and work your way up from there.

Feeling a little spunky today......

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 08-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

A stock motor can handle boost. Look at what SomethingElse has (YT's old car). I think he is running 9psi on a stock motor. An M90 is a bad idea though (heat issues) and one that has been talked about a lot on here. Also, talk to Old Tom about his set up.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 08-26-2011, 11:00 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Nate has a supercharger intake manifold. If you're serious, talk to him. You will need to get the supercharger separately, and some other stuff, but it's very doable. Only like 9 or so psi has been done safely.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Look at what SomethingElse has...
<Missed opportunity?>

Quote:
Look at what LetItSnow has... I think he is running 9psi on a stock motor. An M90 is a bad idea though (heat issues) and one that has been talked about a lot on here. Also, talk to Old Tom about his set up.
9psi, stock guts. Driven by a grandmother to the grocery store on Sundays. Or was it, driven like it was stolen among the cones on any given Sunday?

It's tuned to the rich side, but on Ultra 93, the Hydra shows no signs of registered knock. I don't know how long it will last (and I anticipate changing the engine someday), but there's nothing kind about the way I treat it.

Roots = heat for sure. If you're doing the popular Impreza side-mount w/intercooler gig, you can probably do fine, but I'm a little leery about the idea of an inverted, intercooler free setup. With a twin-screw on 9psi uncooled, you're looking at 180*F going in as it is.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
I realized that after I posted...

I would be willing to sell my supercharging set up and all supporting pieces (minus the EMS)
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 08-26-2011, 11:17 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I would be willing to sell my supercharging set up and all supporting pieces (minus the EMS)
Engine knock = bad. Opportunity knock = good!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:10 PM

Yea about that manifold that Nate HAD! No idea you were running stock internals on your Svx LetItSnow! Good to hear I can run something with this modified manifold on stock internals. Not going to be done till next year so the Reading meet should provide my with some info.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
A stock motor can handle boost. Look at what SomethingElse has (YT's old car). I think he is running 9psi on a stock motor. An M90 is a bad idea though (heat issues) and one that has been talked about a lot on here. Also, talk to Old Tom about his set up.
I will have to check the topic on the M90. I wont have the clearence issues like the Svx has though with my hood.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
<Missed opportunity?>

9psi, stock guts. Driven by a grandmother to the grocery store on Sundays. Or was it, driven like it was stolen among the cones on any given Sunday?

It's tuned to the rich side, but on Ultra 93, the Hydra shows no signs of registered knock. I don't know how long it will last (and I anticipate changing the engine someday), but there's nothing kind about the way I treat it.

Roots = heat for sure. If you're doing the popular Impreza side-mount w/intercooler gig, you can probably do fine, but I'm a little leery about the idea of an inverted, intercooler free setup. With a twin-screw on 9psi uncooled, you're looking at 180*F going in as it is.
Yea I am doing the BK single stacker with this manifold. I have absolutley no room to run from the side. Only option is to stack it. I am trying to decide what engine management I will go with. I guess it all leans to the direction of how much money in the end (still try for the best). Goin to have to run a tmic setup since there is no room for a fmic.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I realized that after I posted...

What ya got?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:29 PM

Same thing as LetItSnow. Just a different manifold and I am running 12-14 psi, but have a 9psi pulley as well.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 08-26-2011, 01:50 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yea I am doing the BK single stacker with this manifold. <snip> Goin to have to run a tmic setup since there is no room for a fmic.
Using that manifold, you're pretty hosed for an intercooler. Once you're compressed, you're in the plenum... That's the brilliance of the side mount.

Consider the STX setup? Might be a better path!

Last edited by LetItSnow; 08-26-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:23 AM

Pretty crazy looking setup there. So can you just run better (ported and polished) heads different valves and cams to handle the power I am going to be putting out? I know internals would be outrageous right now, but heads can be done for a good price.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Pretty crazy looking setup there. So can you just run better (ported and polished) heads different valves and cams to handle the power I am going to be putting out? I know internals would be outrageous right now, but heads can be done for a good price.
Cams will run you around $175 a piece if I remember correctly (for a regrind NOT new) and I dont remember what my valves cost. All in all my heads ran about $2k I think.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: