How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-09-2011, 09:13 PM

chip installation

I just recieved my ECUTUNE chip
i had planned on installing it myself because it is a plug and play chip..
however i think it may be smarter for me to have a professional do it..is there anything i need to tell them before i let them dive into my car??
thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: chip installation

Honestly, there is no reason to not do it yourself. Once the ECU is out, it takes about 5 minutes to get the cover off, install it, clip the resistor if needed, and put the cover back on.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

You're almost guaranteed to do a better job than anyone you could hire to do it. They'll get frustrated and only reattach like 1 or 2 bolts. You will need long skinny fingers, a 10mm wrench, and a screwdriver. I think that's it. It's really easy, post here if you need help. It'll help if you remove the the two thingies that sit under the ECU. More room to wiggle.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
You're almost guaranteed to do a better job than anyone you could hire to do it. They'll get frustrated and only reattach like 1 or 2 bolts. You will need long skinny fingers, a 10mm wrench, and a screwdriver. I think that's it. It's really easy, post here if you need help. It'll help if you remove the the two thingies that sit under the ECU. More room to wiggle.
im a decent mechanical guy..but when it comes to wires and stuff i get confused and dont want to ruin my car..
im most worried about clipping the resistor..it has to be done a super careful way right?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Ursalia View Post
Honestly, there is no reason to not do it yourself. Once the ECU is out, it takes about 5 minutes to get the cover off, install it, clip the resistor if needed, and put the cover back on.
theres so many bundles of wires underneath near the ECU i couldnt even see the 3 bolts to undo!

i really wanna do it solo but i dont want to ruin my car at the same time
Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 PM

Registered SVX

Clipping the resistor is easy, I promise. It sits up enough from the circuit board that you're not too likely to mess anything else up. Just use a small one of this type of snipper tool: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1294466 or something similar.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 02-10-2011, 04:21 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Yeah, if I can do it anyone can. It is somewhat of a pain in the ass to get the bolts holding the ECU out but it is not too bad.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 02-10-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Clipping the resistor is easy, I promise. It sits up enough from the circuit board that you're not too likely to mess anything else up. Just use a small one of this type of snipper tool: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1294466 or something similar.
The guys at motorsport warehouse said tO crush the resistor..so do I crush it or snip the wire attatching It to the circuit board?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

You're thinking of two different things- one is the 'ECU noise bead' crush TSB and the other is the J1 resistor you remove completely, activating the 2nd EPROM slot on the ECU board the Stage 1 chip installs into. Both the J1 resistor and the noise suppression bead can be seen in photos here:

http://www.svx-iw.com/svxiw/article/?article=143

You can read the Stage 1 chip install instructions here:

http://www.ecutune.com/SVX-Stage-1-Instructions.pdf

Read those install instructions and most of your questions will be answered.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Registered SVX

Here you can see the nuts that hold the ECU/TCU, and the things you can move out of the way to get to them easier.

Is there any point in doing the bead crush mod when the ECU is apart?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Sheldon, there are a few members in your area. I'm sure a 6 pack could convince one of them to give you a hand with this mod.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Sheldon, there are a few members in your area. I'm sure a 6 pack could convince one of them to give you a hand with this mod.
Thanks man
i have alot better idea what to do now
im going to remove my ecu right now then i will post a pic of the internal stuff and maybe you can help me from there
I appreciate the help
Old 03-03-2011, 12:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:

Here you can see the nuts that hold the ECU/TCU, and the things you can move out of the way to get to them easier.

Is there any point in doing the bead crush mod when the ECU is apart?

Does anyone have a picture like this of the front wiper control unit? I can't locate it, apart from the fact that I'm too old to twist myself up under the dash.