Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: HID Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by processengr View Post
As mentioned, OT's Lava-luxe were a total plug and play, allowing normal connection to ballast.
Because OT took the time to reverse the pins in the wiring harness for us
Old 04-02-2011, 11:12 AM

I'm looking at the DDM Tuning site and trying to order one of the raptor kits...I'm stuck on 'bulb type'. I want 9006 right (i'm doing low beams)? The only bulb type indicated in the drop down that is 9006 is 9006 HB4. Does that mean high beams? Is this the one I should select?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2011, 11:22 AM

Registered SVX

HB4 is just another bulb number. Some bulbs share the same specs with a different part number.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
HB4 is just another bulb number. Some bulbs share the same specs with a different part number.
So that's the one to order then?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:31 AM

Registered SVX

Yes. 9006 is our low beam.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:33 AM

Thank you!
Old 04-22-2011, 04:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to ykobayashi
Registered SVX

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much! Lots of good information here! In the meantime as a test I ordered the DDM slimline ballasts with 5000k bulbs for my daily driver which is a 2004 Mazda 6s Hatch. I've had them in for about 2 months now and they are FANTASTIC! I cannot say enough good things about them! (now that I have said that, they will likely die!).

During the install I had to make a slight modification in the headlamp clusters to eliminate glare. Luckily, it was very easy, I had to remove a copper tab from the assy with a twisted coat hanger, took all but a couple minutes and it snapped off easily and cleanly. After the mod the cutoff is sharp and clear with no glare at all. Which leads me to believe that the headlight assy on the 2004 Mazda 6 was designed for use with either halogen or HIDs for the global market depending on where the car was sold.

That is the long reasoning that brings me to my question, has anyone with the DDM HIDs in thier SVX had issues with glare? If so what have you done to eliminate it? Is it possible to eliminate?

I would rather just not put HIDs into my SVX if I am going to become a road hazard and blind everyone else with my HIDs, exchanging my safety of good visibility by risking everyone else on the road is just not good for anyone.

Thanks!

Yoshi

[B]1995 SVX L AWD - Original Owner
65k - Brilliant Red
Mods: K&N Drop In Filter, Sony aftermarket CD/MP3 Stereo and Speakers, Sumitomo HTR+ Tires

2004 Mazda 6S 5-door - Steel Grey - 5 speed manual transmission - Daily Driver

2011 Mazda CX-9 - Wife's ride
Old 04-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

We have projector lenses.. No glare.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-22-2011, 11:15 PM

Aussies do we use the H1 style for the headlight low beam ? i just put some HID spot lights on and now i'm blind when i dip back to the std low beams
But crikey the HID spotlights ,Koalas fall out of trees Roos run into the same trees and i've never had so many bugs kill themselves on the front of the car

cam
Old 04-23-2011, 09:10 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Freeman,

I beg to differ, When I installed HIDs in my Mazda 6, which has projector lenses and I had a lot of glare. When I put the HID bulb in, which uses a horizontal carbon arc/xenon gas light source there was plenty of vertical glare. It was after I saw that excessive glare that I had to pull the headlight assemblies and make the modification to eliminate the glare. The difference is that the Mazda 6 projector lenses were optimized for output via a halogen bulb using a vertical filament wire, much like the SVX. I don't think that having projector lenses automatically excludes glare.

I noticed that you have HIDs in your pearly, have you shone your lights against a garage door or some other flat vertical surface to check for glare? Do people flash their high beams at you sometimes when you're driving around? Anyone else had any experience with this? Thanks for your input!

Yoshi

65k - Brilliant Red
Mods: K&N Drop In Filter, Sony aftermarket CD/MP3 Stereo and Speakers, Sumitomo HTR+ Tires

Last edited by ykobayashi; 04-23-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I haven't checked in my car but a friends ebony. I wanted to know if I was blinding people so I had him drive behind me and in the other lane of oncoming traffic and I actually didn't get blinded. Can't speak for the fogs though.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-25-2011, 08:21 PM

"Just a note on the DDM Tuning ballasts- on a SVX, you must reverse the plug from the headlight into the ballast, to make it work. The latch on the plug will not engage the tab on the mating connector."

What does that mean exactly?
You just flip the plug over an plug it in"upside down" i.e. with the clips on opposite sides
Im thinking about getting the 6000k raptor kit but am concerned about "plug n play" compatabilty
Old 04-26-2011, 04:26 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Not necessary man!

Our projector lenses are not designed for HIDs. It's already a 20yrs old design.

My new car's halogen headlight (3yrs old design) cut-off line is a lot better than my SVX's halogen projector headlight's cut-off line when they're facing to the wall or a white garage door. The lightning on the floor/wall is already sharp, clear and beautiful enough. It's actually no need to upgrade to HIDs before it's burn out.

In my opinions, it just needs times to do testing and research. Cars with OEM HIDs should have a decent standard cut-off line which is passed from the DOT department. To get a real quality HIDs lightning, should get the HID retrofit kits or swapped in those projector lenses that those cars had OEM HIDs.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 05-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Registered SVX

Bumping this thread. Like to order the DDM HIDs but still haven't got a lot of info about HIDs in SVXs and the amount of glare. If anyone has some constructive input it would be appreciated!

Thanks again!

Yoshi

65k - Brilliant Red

Old 05-09-2011, 05:49 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykobayashi View Post
Bumping this thread. Like to order the DDM HIDs but still haven't got a lot of info about HIDs in SVXs and the amount of glare. If anyone has some constructive input it would be appreciated!

Thanks again!

Yoshi
keep in mind my drive way is sloped when seen with the car level you will not see much glare as the cutoff is good.

daylight

dusk with rain