How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2002, 11:16 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Shims would be on the back of the pads, silly.

Take the pads off and examine whether there's a shim on the back of both pads. If you look up the parts, the SVX actually requires 3 shims per wheel. However, I was able to just about eliminate the noise by putting on the anti-squeal gel on the back of all the pads.

I had put new pads on along with new rebuilt calipers and resurfaced rotors on just before the Lafayette meet. Trying to take the shortcut and being lazy (as usual), I decided to skip the anti-squeal gel this time around. Well, the clink returned. I'll be taking care of that in about a week or two.

Now, YMMV.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ca$h
Someone wnat to go into more detail about this 'brake rattling' thing? It rattles really noisely unless I have my brakes on, then its quiet again. Is it a caliper 'bushing' (calipers have bushings?!) or a shim (where?)???
Old 08-27-2002, 06:34 AM
Ca$h

So just to double-check: I jack the car up, yank the wheels, take hte calipers off, take the pads outta the calipers, and put 'anti squeal gel' on the BACK of the calipers (not rotor side) and reinstall. Thats it???

- Ca$h
Old 08-27-2002, 07:55 AM
The Road Less Traveled

The calipers don't need to be "removed", just remove the bottom bolt and swing the caliper up out of the way. Make sure you have a large c-clamp to squeeze the pistons back before you re-install the pads.

The anti-squeal gel goes on the back of the PADS, not calipers. And yes, not rotor side. The bottle I bought had instructions, and if I remember correctly, complete coverage on outboard side (side w/o pistons), and one strip down the middle (lengthwise) on the inboard side. Make sure you let the gel cure (it turns into a rubber-like material) before re-installing the pads.

And I would put some anti-seize on the sliding bolt when you put it back into the caliper, as well as some anti-seize on the little spring clips where it meets the brake pad backing. Don't get any on the rotor or the friction surface of the pad.

Jack stands under the car please. Despite what has happened around here recently, we don't have a death wish against you. Honest.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ca$h
So just to double-check: I jack the car up, yank the wheels, take hte calipers off, take the pads outta the calipers, and put 'anti squeal gel' on the BACK of the calipers (not rotor side) and reinstall. Thats it???

- Ca$h