Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-23-2002, 08:20 PM
ehyde111

Thumbs up Finally finished changing spark plugs!

I'll say it was the biggest pain in the rear ever!!! 3 days and 6-7 hours of work for six plugs. Unbelievable. What's up with subaru and that passengers side access hole anyway. THe one in the wheel well is at a good angle from the one in the engine bay. Near useless (I don't have a universal joint). Even if I did, I do not think that it would have worked.

ANyway, I'm done and the car still runs. The biggest casulties were the stripped bolt (would you believe I can't find a replacement -- it's not listed as a separate part -- only comes with the ignition coil -- can't find a match at 3 hardware stores or NAPA) and a burn on my hand. Oh well, they shoudl be good for A WHILE now.

Thanks for listening me go on and on.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:34 AM

Spark plug hell

When I changed mine for the first time it took me between 2 and 3 hrs, probable closer to two, and that included the learning curve. You learn quickly that conventional socket and rachet use doesn't do much good. You have to connect and disconnect inside the plug area using the socket and extension and forget using a socket on most of the bolts holding the wire in place, a 12mm closed end wrench works much better. The wrench makes it possible not to have to use the "through the fender well hole" method. Still if one of my plugs goes south, it will run that way for a while...my back can't take that contortion again for a while.
04 VW Beetle GLS
Old 08-24-2002, 11:45 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
It took me and two other guys 2 hours. Well one other guy. I had to take out almost everything. Batteries, air filter, you name it. Don't even go to the last one.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-26-2002, 08:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Finally finished changing spark plugs!

Quote:
Originally posted by ehyde111
I'll say it was the biggest pain in the rear ever!!! 3 days and 6-7 hours of work for six plugs. Unbelievable. What's up with subaru and that passengers side access hole anyway. THe one in the wheel well is at a good angle from the one in the engine bay. Near useless (I don't have a universal joint). Even if I did, I do not think that it would have worked.

ANyway, I'm done and the car still runs. The biggest casulties were the stripped bolt (would you believe I can't find a replacement -- it's not listed as a separate part -- only comes with the ignition coil -- can't find a match at 3 hardware stores or NAPA) and a burn on my hand. Oh well, they shoudl be good for A WHILE now.

Thanks for listening me go on and on.
How did you get the stripped bolt out? And if you can't find a replacement, what have you done to secure the coil?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-26-2002, 02:59 PM
ehyde111

Re: Re: Finally finished changing spark plugs!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

How did you get the stripped bolt out? And if you can't find a replacement, what have you done to secure the coil?
I was able to unscrew the bolt with a pair of vise grips and a lot of anger. The bolt sed to secure the back coil on the drivers side. It is now on the front coil (I guess it's not stripped, rather the head is rounded off pretty badly) I think I could get it back out with vise grips if a replacement ever comes my way.