How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2002, 08:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
SVX for racing, anyone do it? Auto-x and track events.

Ok, getting my SVX in the next 2 weeks and plan on using it for some Auto-x and Track* events. Anyone out there able to give me some insight as to the handling and other characteristics for Auto-x and Track for the SVX? Please let me know if you've actually done any of this stuff with your SVX, I don't need responses like "It's 3400lbs it can't be a good track/auto-x car"

Items I'm planning on doing to help out the SVX:

Upgraded Pads
Crossdrilled and Slotted Rotors
SS Brake Lines
ATF Cooler
245-45-16 AVS Intermediate Tires

-mike

* Track events meaning Road Courses, not 1/4mile garbage.

Last edited by Paisan; 08-19-2002 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:06 AM
Ca$h

um... I dunno man. 3500 lbs is eh.. a bit ... um.. I just don't see an SVX ever being remotely competitive at autocross due to its high weight. Add the fact that the transmissions are notorious and it just doesn't seem like a worthwhile way to go racing.

- Ca$h
Old 08-19-2002, 09:15 AM

Well its all about classing. In G-class the SVX is running in, it should be somewhat competative. It may be heavy @ 3400lbs but it has 230hp v. 165 or less of the rest of the cars in G-stock. Also I've found ATs are better @ Auto-x than MTs cause the car will drop to 1st in the corners and pull you right out, whereas 2nd gear in MTs bogs in corners, but 1 is too low for the corners.

-mike
Old 08-19-2002, 09:15 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Maybe add a 5 spd to that list.

I ran at an auto-x last year for one event. My tranny (no cooler) and wheel bearings held up. I'm still happy I was able to run faster than a Firebird WS6 and a driver with more auto-x experience than me (read: none)
Old 08-19-2002, 09:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Someday I want to get into a little autocrossing. Maybe some rallying.

But if I'm going to do either, you can be DAMNED sure that I'm not going to use an SVX.

Come on, man. The car's just not meant for it. Besides, if you do it repeatedly with ANY car, you're going to have more repairs - do you really want an SVX when those repairs come due?

I'll start with something small, simple and cheap. An old MR2 or even my Justy. I just love my SVX too much to do that to it.

...that, and it currently lacks 2nd gear.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-19-2002, 09:56 AM

Hmm my AT XT6 ran fine for a ton of auto-xes. Never had any problems with it til I ran a curb over (not at auto-x). I probably ran at least 50+ auto-xs with the XT6.

I'm actually trying to get more into Time Trials and Track days than auto-x with the SVX, but til I can afford a dedicated auto-x car, it will have to do.

-mike
Old 08-19-2002, 10:13 AM
Ca$h

eh. Yeah. Use a different car. Spefically, use a neon. They're DIRT cheap, and really easy to work on. And htey pretty much dominate. If its a tight course its not uncommon for a neon to better vipers, corvettes, etc. Score an ACR if you can. They come with competition suspension, tranny, and they weigh less. They're identified by empty foglight holes in the fascia.

- Ca$h
Old 08-19-2002, 10:30 AM

Folks I have been auto-xing for a while now I don't need a list of cars that are good for auto-x nor do I need to know why the SVX would be a poor choice. I'm just looking for input from people who are/have done/doing Auto-x or Timetrial/Track days with their SVXs and what specific techniques or equipment would benefit it in those situations. Thanks.

-mike
Old 08-19-2002, 10:36 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Re: SVX for racing, anyone do it? Auto-x and track events.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paisan
Ok, getting my SVX in the next 2 weeks and plan on using it for some Auto-x and Track* events. Anyone out there able to give me some insight as to the handling and other characteristics for Auto-x and Track for the SVX? Please let me know if you've actually done any of this stuff with your SVX, I don't need responses like "It's 3400lbs it can't be a good track/auto-x car"

Items I'm planning on doing to help out the SVX:

Upgraded Pads
Crossdrilled and Slotted Rotors
SS Brake Lines
ATF Cooler
245-45-16 AVS Intermediate Tires

-mike

* Track events meaning Road Courses, not 1/4mile garbage.
Paisan,
Don't let anyone talk you out of autocrossing the SVX - it is a blast. Now, are there better cars to autocross? You bet. Are there cheaper cars to autocross? Again, you bet! A Neon is great - light, inexpensive to fix when it breaks, and they will break. Now, with all that said, I have autocrossed a '94 FWD SVX and currently participate with a '97 LSI. I'll continue this in another posting, because of length.
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 08-19-2002, 10:51 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Re: Re: SVX for racing, anyone do it? Auto-x and track events.

Quote:
Originally posted by newsvx

Paisan,
Don't let anyone talk you out of autocrossing the SVX - it is a blast. Now, are there better cars to autocross? You bet. Are there cheaper cars to autocross? Again, you bet! A Neon is great - light, inexpensive to fix when it breaks, and they will break. Now, with all that said, I have autocrossed a '94 FWD SVX and currently participate with a '97 LSI. I'll continue this in another posting, because of length.
Harry
To Continue:

Paisan,
Check out WWW.gws-mbca.org and go to the autocross section in the top left corner of the page. Note where the SVX places compared to the other G Stock cars and overall. I routinely beat the F Stock Firebirds and Mustangs. And guess what, a SVX is a little unusual at an autocross too.
Regarding the modifications you plan. The rotors and brakelines will bump you into a modified class (using SCCA rules). A rule of thumb is if you are going to do any modifications that will cause a class change, go all the way. Otherwise you will not be competitive. The best thing you can do is to get an extra set of rims and buy competition tires. They will take seconds (not tenths) off of your times. It is like night and day.
BTW, I pull it into 1st and leave it. The car will not over-rev and will go into second if the speed is sufficient. Back in the turns and it will downshift back to 1st. Check out my locker for some shots of a SVX at play at autocross - and at Summit Point Raceway.
BUT, as many have implied. It is a given that something will break at some point in time, and with an SVX is can be expensive. I never had bearing problems, but the transmission in the '94 did require replacing after 70K miles. Just go into this with the mind open and learn the car. The SVX has more capability than I have ability, and gosh it's fun!
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 08-19-2002, 11:36 AM

Harry,

Thanks for the post. Very informative. I run Rs now so I know the value of them in seconds I think I'd get knocked to DSP for SCCA Auto-x but I just use SCCA for practice for my NASA auto-xing. How does it handle @ summit point? I'm going to be hitting limerock this November and probably Pocono and Nazareth next year as well.

-mike
Old 08-19-2002, 11:51 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

Autocross an SVX!?!

But of course!

I haven't auto-x't in several years, but as I recall, winning every round wasn't exactly the name of the game. If it was, I wouldn't have been autocrossing an '80 AWD Subaru wagon, or an '84 Colt Vista Wagon. It's all about fun, and I can think of no more fun than a go in my SVX. The only reason I haven't done it, is because they're all run on Sundays and I don't get out of church in time to make registration.

As a veteran autocrosser, I'm guessing you know the SCCA rules well enough to restrict your mods so that you'll be able to stay in stock category, where a win every once a while is a definate possibility (can you say "RAIN"?), but even if you go to street prepared you'll have more fun than one person is meant to have, which I always thought was the 'hidden secret' to a 'good time' (sic).

AUTOCROSSERS GO IN FAST AND COME OUT HARD!

(I didn't say that! )
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 08-19-2002, 12:13 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink Re: Re: SVX for racing, anyone do it? Auto-x and track events.

Quote:

Paisan,
Harry

So Harry - Is everything still a go for next Sunday in Winchester?

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:09 PM
Network Design Administrator

I Was actually gonna point you in Harry's (newsvx) direction, but it seems that he beat me here...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: SVX for racing, anyone do it? Auto-x and track events.

Quote:
Check out WWW.gws-mbca.org and go to the autocross section in the top left corner of the page. Note where the SVX places compared to the other G Stock cars and overall. I routinely beat the F Stock Firebirds and Mustangs. And guess what, a SVX is a little unusual at an autocross too.

Harry
Do you realize that by splitting your message (in the interest of space) into two posts, you made it much longer?

Anyway, thanks for the link. I have to admit - I was suprised by how competitive the SVX is. Very cool.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE