Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2010, 05:23 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

New headlight lenses

Just curious, how happy is everyone with the current
headlight lense replacements available on the market
right now ?
likes and dislikes after having them on over a year ?

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 02-23-2010, 05:40 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Re: New headlight lenses

seriously, no one has had any problems with their lenses
turning yellow somewhat after a year or so ?
Maybe its just an az thing

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 02-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Dayle, Are you referring to the Smallcar clear lenses, or some other product??

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 02-23-2010, 06:22 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsport-SVX View Post
seriously, no one has had any problems with their lenses
turning yellow somewhat after a year or so ?
Maybe its just an az thing
Odd timing, I just used that 3m headlight polishing kit on mine this weekend. I didn't post because I'm not 100% sure where my lenses came from, as they came with the car. They are clear ones though. They were definitely on the yellow side, and hazy too. I was also surprised at how big of a difference polishing them made, and also how easy it was to do. That answer your question?

Edit: I looked in the maintenance records and they are the smallcar ones.

Last edited by icingdeath88; 02-23-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:24 PM

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Re: New headlight lenses

+1 on the 3M kit!! Worked great on my 93 Marquis!!
1997 Polo Green SVX LSI #316 49,000, garage queen, aka "The Green Queen" 1997 Brilliant Red SVX LSI #200, 167,000, daily driver, aka"Rosie's Rocket I" 1997 Brilliant Red SVX LSI#234, 106,000, summer driver, aka"Rosie's Rocket II"
1988 Red & White Silverado, aka "The Hauler"

2000 GRAND MARQUIS LS w/ handling package, aka "BIG BLUE"

1988 Mazda RX7 Convertible, aka " Lil Blue "
Old 02-24-2010, 06:46 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Dayle, I have been unhappy with the quality of the smallcar lenses from what I have seen, and replaced my headlights with new OEM assemblies when the time came.

A quality alternative to the smallcar lenses may be a good product to add to your offering.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:13 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

There is also Meguiar's PlastX. I have tried it here in Qatar (Sun and Temperature...), it works magic!

As for the smallcar lenses, I have them. Never had issues with them changing color. I dunno what you guys are talking about.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

+1 for Meguiar's PlastX....

Also, I've had the SmallCar clear lenses on on off for several years and never noticed any yellowing, they still look clear as they did when they were new and better than brand new OEM ones, IMO. Just update the car and show off the really beautiful assemblies Subaru has hiding under all those lines on the stock lenses.

The downfall of the SmallCar lenses is you have to spend an extreme amount of time making them look good when you do the initial modification. A simple process, but one that can go very wrong very fast.

But any clear lens kit that comes out is going to have to go with this same process. At this point it is not cost effective for any aftermarket company to produce an entire plug and play headlight assembly for the SVX.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

I guess one improvement could be going with basically the same lens as SmallCar does, but making them out of thicker material. You can push on mine and they bend in, which of course OEM doesn't do. Absolutely no problem at all, no permanent damage and might make them more resilient to small impacts from rocks and such? But I can see they get small scratches pretty easy, though again, that doesn't seem to detract from the overall appearance or light pattern, even with HIDs.

And you'd have to be careful making them thicker, aside from the fact it may be harder to match the curve of the lens, it may also interfere with clearance when putting them back on the car.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:15 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

+1 for thicker. You can't really predict when they'll yellow, but if they're thicker, then you can polish them more times over their life without worrying about them thinning out and cracking.

As for the process, I never went through that because mine came with the car, but I can imaging. What about selling the modded assemblies and then offering a core charge for theirs? Basically keeping the change over in professional hands. I'm sure that people would pay extra for the convenience. Don't know how much luck you'd have with getting the cores returned though.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

I am against thicker. With thicker, rocks can easily chip them since they hit them hard, whereas when it can easily bend, their flexibility makes them less prone to visible damage.

Check your OEM lenses, they are all chipped. Check smallcar's though, they never do that, at least for me.

This is my only defense to smallcar.... the SVX killaz

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
What about selling the modded assemblies and then offering a core charge for theirs? Basically keeping the change over in professional hands. I'm sure that people would pay extra for the convenience. Don't know how much luck you'd have with getting the cores returned though.
+1 to this idea. The installment, actually is one of the reasons why I haven't converted yet. Every time I mention clear lenses to OT, he cringes.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 02-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
What about selling the modded assemblies and then offering a core charge for theirs? Basically keeping the change over in professional hands. I'm sure that people would pay extra for the convenience. Don't know how much luck you'd have with getting the cores returned though.
For starters, make sure the "professional" hands aren't SmallCar!

If someone did offer this service, they'd either be super hard up for money or doing charity for the SVX community. Or they'd charge so much everyone would just try the job themeselves. Maybe if someone had a lot of practice and just the perfect tools for the job they could do it fairly quickly and charge an okay price.

Another big hurdle in a part like this is the core exchange though. The headlights are very complex with lots of little parts that can break off, scratch, etc. The little levelers, screws, plastic mounting tabs/holes, etc, etc. Someone may send in a set of headlights THEY consider 100% and get back a set with clear lenses they argue is not in the same condition theirs was.

And even if you have the customer send in their own set to be modded, aside from the waiting period with no headlights on their car (unless they pony up for a spare set), they could still blame the customizer for breaking something or scratching the inside, etc, etc.

This is why Apkarian decided to do the LED taillights as a DIY installed kit rather than a full service - he learned the hard way with the NSX community for the above reasons.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
I am against thicker. With thicker, rocks can easily chip them since they hit them hard, whereas when it can easily bend, their flexibility makes them less prone to visible damage.

Check your OEM lenses, they are all chipped. Check smallcar's though, they never do that, at least for me.
Good point! I kinda alluded to this above, but didn't think about how my OEM do have that rough surface from all the small chips and my smallcars don't.

Quote:
This is my only defense to smallcar.... the SVX killaz
Agreed. Though they could stand to charge a little less for some pieces of plastic that the buyer still has to do major work to use.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Odd timing, I just used that 3m headlight polishing kit on mine this weekend. I didn't post because I'm not 100% sure where my lenses came from, as they came with the car. They are clear ones though. They were definitely on the yellow side, and hazy too. I was also surprised at how big of a difference polishing them made, and also how easy it was to do. That answer your question?

Edit: I looked in the maintenance records and they are the smallcar ones.
That's funny - I did the 3m kit on my car this past weekend also.
Worked pretty dang good!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.