Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 AM

Re: Shaved door handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Will not work, you need to delete the sunroof, and customize the hell out of the SVX body.

Furthermore, either lambo of gullwing, their are not practical.
I was mostly kidding. I know it would take drastic modification.

Although somehow the SLR, especially the SLR convertible, does it without cutting into the roof as severely as McLaren and Enzo do...

Still not cheap or easy, and mostly a joke about changing the SVX drastically.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
I was mostly kidding. I know it would take drastic modification.

Although somehow the SLR, especially the SLR convertible, does it without cutting into the roof as severely as McLaren and Enzo do...

Still not cheap or easy, and mostly a joke about changing the SVX drastically.
A better one would be to make the SVX convertible

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I was thinking about chopping the top on my parts car about 3 inches, but I ended up cutting off the rear quarter to repair mine, so that shell is now useless. That would have totally been for bragging rights, if you could chop an SVX, there is nothing that you couldn't chop. Me and my boss had even worked out how it could be done, basically sinking the glass into the car, so it doesn't have to be cut.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:26 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
I was thinking about chopping the top on my parts car about 3 inches, but I ended up cutting off the rear quarter to repair mine, so that shell is now useless. That would have totally been for bragging rights, if you could chop an SVX, there is nothing that you couldn't chop. Me and my boss had even worked out how it could be done, basically sinking the glass into the car, so it doesn't have to be cut.
Although some of what you have said is possible, the exceptions are the upper quarter glass and rear glass. There is not a way for them to be *sunk* unless you eliminated the quarter trim. Also, the front door glasses cannot be sunk. I think the only things you could possibly sink would be the windshield (maybe) and the lower movable glass on the car. I work in the auto glass industry and have removed and installed glass in the SVX, so I am familiar with how it fits
Old 06-18-2009, 02:27 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

Quote:
got this out of this thread: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...vx+convertible

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 06-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

I think I remember seeing a copper colored SVX on cardomain with shaved door handles but I could be wrong.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 06-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
You might have a point if the handles were in some way interesting or different, for example the Subaru XT had some bizzare door handles, but they are just about the same as any other door handle from the 90s to present. As far as the original design, they were designed to blend in and not be noticed, since they are flush mounted and body color, so why not make them disappear entirely.

This one has shaved handles, only one I have found so far:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2173825
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
I think I remember seeing a copper colored SVX on cardomain with shaved door handles but I could be wrong.
You are wrong...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:17 PM

Well, I didn't get around to welding it up today, stupid customers wanting their stuff done. I did figure out how I am going to have to do the popper though, it is going to have to be mounted on the door and push against the jamb. I hate doing it that way because there is more of a chance it will get snagged on clothes, but oh well.

Also, Mike, you're right, I looked closer at the stationary glass in the doors, it can't sink in like I thought it could, the angle it would have to go down into the door wouldn't work well at all, that is what I get for not looking in the doors before opening my big mouth. The stationary quarter glass, rear glass and windshield could be sunk in with some work.

About the trunk pop, it is very simple and takes very little effort to pull. In this case though, I don't think the door lock solenoid would be the best solution, they don't return on their own, since they are really more of a linear actuator than a solenoid. You could set up a spring to pull it back, but I'm thinking there might be a small self returning solenoid that would work much better, possibly something that could come from a junkyard. The design is really simple, the solenoid wouldn't be installed in the lid, unless you were removing that lock. The setup Subaru came up with is actually rather slick, especially with that "cancel" feature. If I were to do that, which now that you have put the idea in my head I probably will, I would remove the cable release entirely and use a button or maybe a switch from the original lever for the interior release, just for simplicity, so you don't have 2 different things trying to pull the same lever.

So, before I tear into the electronics for the windows, does anyone know how they pulled off the "Auto" feature for the driver's window? I'd like to replicate that for all of the windows and possibly the sunroof and put that on remote too, since I'll have plenty of extra channels to play with.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
So, before I tear into the electronics for the windows, does anyone know how they pulled off the "Auto" feature for the driver's window? I'd like to replicate that for all of the windows and possibly the sunroof and put that on remote too, since I'll have plenty of extra channels to play with.
As far as I know, it's a mechanical function of the switch. If you take the main switch apart, the interior mechanism of the the drivers window is different than the other three.

Oh and I like the photoshop of Mike's car without the handles...
Old 06-18-2009, 06:35 PM

Registered SVX

I seen a pic of someone with all window switches with the led auto switch for a fact but cannot remember which thread it was.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 06-19-2009, 05:43 PM

No turning back now:

Got the rough body work done, the final will come when we are ready to do the whole car, some high build primer and lots and lots of block sanding.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:06 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

While you are at it you should do that gas door. Also what car is that fender for hanging on the wall?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 06-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
While you are at it you should do that gas door.
Now THAT would be impractical, even for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Also what car is that fender for hanging on the wall?
Datsun 620 pickup.

Last edited by Elliott; 06-19-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: 620, not 720, i always mess that one up
Old 06-19-2009, 07:06 PM

Registered SVX

Looks good so far. One thing when I redid my car that I wanted to do was to fill in the body lines on the front/rear bumpers and remove the license plate hole/plastic thing.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 06-19-2009, 07:15 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Now THAT would be impractical, even for me.

Datsun 720 pickup.

Relocate it behind the license plate.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel