Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
What's a resealed engine worth?

What would a fully resealed engine with 213,000 miles on it be worth? Full reseal was done by Tom at 210,000, complete with refurbished cylinder heads, new timing belt, water pump, etc, etc, etc. What you'd expect from Tom.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 04-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: What's a resealed engine worth?

A 3000 mile old reseal is worth a fair bit, but the engine itself has a good bit of mileage on it. $750?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-21-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
A 3000 mile old reseal is worth a fair bit, but the engine itself has a good bit of mileage on it. $750?
Probably not.
Way too many miles on it.
I am surprised that anyone would have it done with that many miles on it. There are much better options.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Keith
Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks

Troy,

Did something happen to the car? Why are you wondering this

2006 Infra-Red Ford Focus ZX3 ~ 67k

No longer SVX'n, Ill always miss them!

1995 Polo Green LS-i ~ 95k
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~ 145k (04/91) #2231
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
Old 04-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Yeah I probably made a bad decision.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Let me ask you, have you installed the engine after resealing and reburbished heads? Did you notice a significant difference in performance/operation?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Yeah, it has been in the car for 3,000 miles and definitely helped freshen things up. Better power, and I always track gas mileage and right away saw a 2 mpg improvement on average. Best of all, no more oil puddles in the garage!

Of course the primary reason I had this done was I had a leaking headgasket, so that's why Tom did the whole works, including the refurb heads.

But from before the HG failure, to after the reseal, yeah, there was a difference. Maybe not enough to otherwise do it all, but since I had no choice....

Several unrelated problems I didn't see lurking on the horizon have now popped up, and that, combined with the poor condition of the body and paint, and the previously pointed out high mileage stigma, make me now rethink high mileage SVX restoration.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:38 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
... make me now rethink high mileage SVX restoration.
I know how you feel, but it can be done. If you love the car, you can see it through. I know very well what it is like to be discouraged. Take some time to look at the clunk and diagnose. It could be a relatively easy fix.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
I know how you feel, but it can be done. If you love the car, you can see it through. I know very well what it is like to be discouraged. Take some time to look at the clunk and diagnose. It could be a relatively easy fix.
I SO wish you guys were located a bit closer (understatment).

This type of thing would be so much easier if there were experts nearby that charged a reasonable price. I'd probably work with you step by step to get this thing fully restored.

That, or I'd try to work some trade credit for one of your for sale ones and let mine be your next restore-n-sell project.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks

Im sorry to hear that man

Try to stick it through... you love the car so much, you have to many spare parts...

What problems have come up now?

2006 Infra-Red Ford Focus ZX3 ~ 67k

No longer SVX'n, Ill always miss them!

1995 Polo Green LS-i ~ 95k
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~ 145k (04/91) #2231
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
Old 04-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Thanks Dennis.

I've noticed a small "clunking/popping" noise coming from the driver's side when I make sharp parking lot turns once in a while. Now the other day I noticed the car is actually leaning down on the passenger side in front!

Since the rebuild, the car still hasn't acted 100%, there is a rough idle and on a couple occasions it has just died at red lights. Probably one of a number of expensive sensors.

There's probably something wrong with the ABS somewhere, due to a couple symptoms, but the shop couldn't figure it out with a quick once over of the brake system. Need to throw more money their way if I actually want it figured out.

Since the rebuild, there's a weird clicking noise coming from somewhere that NO ONE can figure out or hear. But it's there and wasn't before.

The body and paint are questionable and about a month ago I backed into another car in a parking lot, mutual fault. Huge dent on the corner above the rear bumper, scratches on bumper. Just one more thing to be fixed during a full repaint, which I will never be able to afford, or shouldn't really justify on this heap. I kind of blame it on this whole situation, because I wouldn't have been in that parking lot that day if I hadn't driven all the way out to the shop to have them try to diagnose the problems they couldn't diagnose. (I know, silly logic)

The car has 213,000, which as illustrated earlier in this thread is not worth anything. Seems like throwing money in a black hole in that case, no matter how fully restored the car can be.

It just irks me that there are SVXes out there like the one AWD is selling right now that has been fully gone over and brought up to spec, given a beautiful paint job, is a 94, for $5,000. By the time this is over I'll have spent probably that much to get my car up to par with that one mechanically, but mine will still have 50,000+ more miles, still have tons of dents and bad paint, and still have malfunctioning autobelts and one airbag.

Ah, but I guess I'll still have my original baby.

Last edited by WestCoastSVX; 04-22-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

I'm going to go back to the thread I posted in October where I asked what I should do with my car (before I spent $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to fix the first wave of problems). Everyone that suggested I keep the car and fix it, I'm going to send nasty PMs to every day until I get banned!

Actually, someone find me a good body/paint hook up on the west coast and I'd be a lot happier.

I think if the car at least "looked new", I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about paying for these other things that come up on an aging car.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 AM

10 characters.

Last edited by essveeexxee; 10-19-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:00 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
I'm going to go back to the thread I posted in October where I asked what I should do with my car (before I spent $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to fix the first wave of problems). Everyone that suggested I keep the car and fix it, I'm going to send nasty PMs to every day until I get banned!

Actually, someone find me a good body/paint hook up on the west coast and I'd be a lot happier.

I think if the car at least "looked new", I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about paying for these other things that come up on an aging car.

Troy,

I would suggest learning more about the bodywork process and what is involved, and be prepared to deal with it if you plan to keep the car. Knowing is half the battle. If you cannot turn the wrenches or prep panels yourself, at least some basic knowledge of the process will help you discern what facility in your area is equipped to meet you and your car's needs and standards.

If you were in closer proximity, I am sure that we could help you with all of this.

BTW, check the control arm bushings. My Ebony just had one go out and its making a hell of a clunk.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by essveeexxee View Post
How much did you originally pay for the car? You did know how many miles it had then, so a rebuild was coming up fairly soon. They way I look at it is your saving a monthly payment of at least $250 a month. Doesn't take long to save up enough for an overhaul. My truck has 228K on her and getting tired. It's been paid off for six years so I have saved around $20K in payments. Minus some parts and work done that I consider normal wear and tear but I'm still way ahead and will be glad when I slide an overhauled 350 in there or rebuild the 305. Nah, the 350.
I hear ya, I've had her for 9 years so I knew if I held onto a daily driver that long these things would have to come up. Agreed on the payments, definitely something to be said for no monthly payment. Though sudden things like headgasket failure and a $3000 repair bill suddenly make you wish for a scheduled/expected $250/month. But yeah, if you keep enough savings for emergencies, in the long run it does pay off.

Just don't expect to ever be able to sell for what's been put into it though. No one here wants to touch a SVX with 250,000 miles no matter what. Definitely in for the long term, but after 9 years I guess that's obvious. Looking for the inevitable day though it gets totalled and insurance wants to give me $1000 for a car I've put $10K into in the last 2 years.