Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-24-2002, 01:49 PM

AC shut off

Whenever my temp guage rises to half way or more, my ac starts blowing warm air. As soon as it goes back down, the compressor starts cycling agian. The guage always runs at slightly less than half way, apart from when i'm driving uphill in hot weather. I'm curious if this is a safety mechanism or if something's wrong. I've just had the ac recharged and I've experienced this problem before hand and after.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-24-2002, 03:06 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Davie, this is a safety mechanism. Under acceleration, the A/C compresser is shut down to devote all power to the engine. Also, if there is excessive heat buildup under the hood, the A/C compresser is shut down to keep the car from overheating. If it does it only under these conditions, it's normal. However, if it's doing it on a regular basis, there may be a sensor that's a little too sensitive.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-24-2002, 03:24 PM
Boone

Davie, Your question also makes me wonder if the health of your cooling system is 100%. If you haven't lately, you might want to get a flush and fill with 50/50. B.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:37 PM

Thanks guys. I think the cars had a flush recently, but I'll check the fluid. It's good to know that's a safety mechanism and my ac isn't crapping out.

Dave
Old 05-29-2002, 07:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: AC shut off

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
Whenever my temp guage rises to half way or more, my ac starts blowing warm air. As soon as it goes back down, the compressor starts cycling agian. The guage always runs at slightly less than half way, apart from when i'm driving uphill in hot weather. I'm curious if this is a safety mechanism or if something's wrong. I've just had the ac recharged and I've experienced this problem before hand and after.
Thanks,
Dave
Dave, your AC symptoms sound similar to mine. My water temp gauge never goes above just below half-way, but the hotter it gets outside the less my AC works. I have talked to the service manager at a reputable local shop and his answer was that either the system needed a recharge or that there could be a bad sensor. The latter repair would be about $100 - not bad at all considering the usual cost of AC equipment...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-29-2002, 11:14 AM
Canadian eh!

Guys.....

I had the same problem last summer. When stuck in traffic, the engine would start getting pretty hot and the A/C would only blow hot, disgusting, stinky air in my face.....

Someone suggested to "pressure wash" the condenser's fins with water and guess what???? It never did this again! The A/C works just fine since then. Dirt and bugs really reduce the efficiency of the condenser.

It was REALLY a cheap fix....

Maybe you guys should try this first before you start giving money away

Let me know !

Joe 90
Old 05-29-2002, 12:26 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe 90
Guys.....

I had the same problem last summer. When stuck in traffic, the engine would start getting pretty hot and the A/C would only blow hot, disgusting, stinky air in my face.....

Someone suggested to "pressure wash" the condenser's fins with water and guess what???? It never did this again! The A/C works just fine since then. Dirt and bugs really reduce the efficiency of the condenser.

Let me know !

Joe 90
Joe, that's a great idea. I have the radiator out of my SVX and, let me tell you, it's goddamned mess. It's a wonder how the thing cools the engine at all.

The only part that's NOT covered in crap, it occurs to me after reading your post, is the part covered up by the condenser.

I'll give this a whirl. Thanks.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-29-2002, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Guys.....

Let me know !

Joe 90
Thankyou very much Joe. Could you tell me how to do this? Or do I need to go to a mechanic. Thanks.
Dave
Old 05-30-2002, 10:49 AM
Canadian eh!

First, I made myself a "special sprayer" with a piece of 1/2 inch soft copper pipe.

- Take a piece of copper pipe about 2 ft in length and flatten it a bit in a vise or with an hammer (this is to allow it to fit between the rad and the condenser).

Leave one end un-flattened. This is to attach the garden hose.

- Completely flatten the other end, fold about 1/2 inch and flatten again. (this is to make sure this end is watertight.)

- Now, using a hack saw, cut a small slot on one of the flatten faces near the folded end. (this is to create a nozzle to spray the water sideways with high velocity).

- Connect the other and to the garden hose using a collar and voila! You now have a slim high pressure washer capable of fitting between the rad and the condensor.

- Remove the two top brackets on the rad and push-it back a little. Slide the prayer in there and turn the water on.

You'll be amazed to see what comes out of there....

Joe

Last edited by Joe 90; 05-30-2002 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:39 PM

Registered SVX
Jolly good show! I aready have my radiator off, and I'll likely have to pull off the front bumper cover to get the ATF cooler in, so I won't need to go through that trouble. The only thing I don't know about is how I'm going to clean the AC condenser. I don't have an air compressor and using the garden hose will delay any other work until the next morning or hours later the same day.

You know, because the garage will be flooded...

Thanks again, Joe. Excellent tips.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-30-2002, 05:15 PM

Quote:
First, I made myself a "special sprayer" with a piece of 1/2 inch soft copper pipe.

- Take a piece of copper pipe about 2 ft in length and flatten it a bit in a vise or with an hammer (this is to allow it to fit between the rad and the condenser).

Leave one end un-flattened. This is to attach the garden hose.

- Completely flatten the other end, fold about 1/2 inch and flatten again. (this is to make sure this end is watertight.)

- Now, using a hack saw, cut a small slot on one of the flatten faces near the folded end. (this is to create a nozzle to spray the water sideways with high velocity).

- Connect the other and to the garden hose using a collar and voila! You now have a slim high pressure washer capable of fitting between the rad and the condensor.

- Remove the two top brackets on the rad and push-it back a little. Slide the prayer in there and turn the water on.

You'll be amazed to see what comes out of there....

Joe
Thanks, joe but one last stupid question. Where's the condenser relative to the radiator? I'm car stupid, but I'll get the copper pipe this saturday and give this a whirl.
Thanks.
Dave.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:47 PM
Canadian eh!

Dave,

For a better view of how an air conditioner works, visit http://www.howstuffworks.com/ac.htm The same principle apply to automotive A/C.

But basically, for the A/C to work properly, it must be able to dissipate heat from the condensor. This is done by blowing air through the condensor. If the car gets hot, the fans will blow hot air through the condensor which in turns generate more heat..... When the condensor heats-up too much, the pressure rises and the “overpressure switch” shuts-down the A/C.

Thus, if the cooling capability of the system is impaired by bugs and debris in the rad and condensor, the efficiency of the A/C will be affected.

Hope this helps.

Joe 90

Last edited by Joe 90; 05-30-2002 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Dave,

For a better view of how an air conditioner works, visit http://www.howstuffworks.com/ac.htm The same principle apply to automotive A/C.

But basically, for the A/C to work properly, it must be able to dissipate heat from the condensor. This is done by blowing air through the condensor. If the car gets hot, the fans will blow hot air through the condensor which in turns generate more heat..... When the condensor heats-up too much, the pressure rises and the “overpressure switch” shuts-down the A/C.

Thus, if the cooling capability of the system is impaired by bugs and debris in the rad and condensor, the efficiency of the A/C will be affected.

Hope this helps.
Joe 90
That was a very interesting site. Thanks for posting it. But where exactly is the ac condensor located in the svx. I've been going insane trying to figure this out. I searched the forums and the web and couldn't find this. Yes, I'm really that stupid
Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-30-2002, 09:33 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The condensor is directly in front off the radiator, and it looks very similar to the radiator (lots of fins.)

More than likely there's a bunch of garbage in between the condensor and radiator. The easy way to clean is to remove the two bolts from the radiator brackets and lean the radiator towards the engine. Use a shop vac with a crevice tool, an air hose or a garden hose and clean the debris out.

Make sure the fans are working properly. I haven't watched mine but at least one fan has to come on when the a/c is on.
When the fan(s) runs heat from the engine can't hit the condensor. More than likely what's happening is you have little or no air flow across the condensor and as a result the head pressure is rising to the point where the safety switch kills the compressor feed.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
The condensor is directly in front off the radiator, and it looks very similar to the radiator (lots of fins.)

More than likely there's a bunch of garbage in between the condensor and radiator. The easy way to clean is to remove the two bolts from the radiator brackets and lean the radiator towards the engine. Use a shop vac with a crevice tool, an air hose or a garden hose and clean the debris out.

Make sure the fans are working properly. I haven't watched mine but at least one fan has to come on when the a/c is on.
When the fan(s) runs heat from the engine can't hit the condensor. More than likely what's happening is you have little or no air flow across the condensor and as a result the head pressure is rising to the point where the safety switch kills the compressor feed.
Thanks beav. I understand now. I think it sholdn't be a problem.
By the way, South Boulder Road
Dave