How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 07:45 PM

Exhaust: Loud, Quiet or Bhrrrrr?

What is your cheapest/best solution to your favorite exhaust sound out of the svx? What would you replace...how much...how would it sound? Sound clips welcome...
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 04-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
cheapest approach is to start with the main cat, going with a high-flow piece with slightly larger pipe (2.25) in/out of it. Changing things in front of the main cat just invites the dreaded "resonant buzz"
Replacing the stock muffler with a Stebro or Magnaflow piece has also been a good choice (okay, so you can also do some "interesting" things to the inside of a stock muffler )
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
I like the sound out of my exhaust... before the baffle in my muffler collapsed and it started rattling like a banshee (being fixed this week, by the way!)

My exhaust is custom. The pipes are up .25" from stock all the way from the headers to the muffler. There are two Mustang 3.8 cats where the stock cats usually sit (KuoH got cats from a 5.0 as I recall). There's a flex pipe just behind the join between the pipes, roughly where the third cat usually sits.

This gives me good flow, and a pretty good low-end grunt. Although it might not be to everyone's tastes, it does lower and louden the exhaust note a little on the highway... and the flex pipe does cause a certain amount of rattling under acceleration that manifests as a "hiss". Reminds me a little of the sound of a turbocharger... but no... no boost

This was relatively cheap. My stock cats were toast, as were my O2 sensors. Well, the left and center cats were toast... the right one was OK. Anyway, the whole custom job cost less than the center cat alone from a stock system. About a month later, that same setup successfully passed Missouri emissions test with better results than I had gotten out of stock a year previously.

Shortly after that is when I started getting the rattling muffler... it's definitely coming from the muffler and I plan to replace the whole thing. Of course, I got the salvage muffler and then stored the car for 18 months... but c'est la vie.

As I said, my system is not for everyone. KuoH got a similar system, as did Halistan (does he ever log in???)... actually, Halistan's the guy who got it done first when his 93 started having problems with the exhaust. I stayed with him for a weekend and we got my car done before he moved to Texas

I like the sound it gives... the extra power is nice (even if it's psychosomatic!) and really on the highway the engine noise / exhaust noise is no worse than my Volvo at the same speed that runs another 600-800rpm higher than my SVX.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:10 AM

Nice, what do these setups cost?
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 04-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Lover of Alcyones

Mines bone stock but comes back to two magnaflow mufflers at the end. Sounds AWESOME, especially with cold air intake. Guy said he paid 300 for the system, not bad at all, especially cause i didn't pay for it

Had:
91 xt auto awd(lt blue)
85 xt 4wd turbo 5sp(blue/white)
86 xt 2wd turbo 5sp(black)
85 xt 4wd turbo 5sp(silver/white)
89 xt AWD 5sp (white)
85 xt 4wd turbo 5 sp sold to Zukiru (silver)
86 xt turbo 2wd 5sp (silver/black)
Old 04-15-2007, 10:25 AM

Under $200

I like the sound and power of my exhaust. I took out everything after the main cat, and put in 2.5" with a y pipe to go to two glasspacks then out to the tips. It's real quiet when at idle, but once you get going it lets eveybody know that you have some power and sounds real nice.

'92 LS-L, exhaust, intake, audio, ecu 1V4?, hyper ground kit.
Next changes ... PAINT, fix engine problems, 4.44. (GONE)

'97 Impreza Outback Sport, magnaflow muffler, cold air intake, Alpine Type S, MP3/iPod deck, NGK wires, etc.(GONE)
Old 04-15-2007, 11:53 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
You know, everybody says their exhaust setup is uber awesomeness but every sound/video clip I hear sounds raspy and hackjobbed. I'm staying stock until I hear something worth buying, so somebody please show me that something.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
You know, everybody says their exhaust setup is uber awesomeness but every sound/video clip I hear sounds raspy and hackjobbed. I'm staying stock until I hear something worth buying, so somebody please show me that something.
I'm rather partial to the sound of SVX10's exhaust setup (though I had to tinker with his mp3 to get any volume out of it ). Rumble at idle, and rather nice under load. Maybe it's just me though...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVX10/36123.mp3

If you can't hear it, I have a version saved to my desktop that's louder.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:59 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Sounded like my civic, I was expecting a boxer blurble like an sti but I guess you'd need a turbo for that. Maybe it's just how the engine itself sounds, so I'll probably just leave my exhaust stock forever. In this case, for the thread, "Quiet"
Old 04-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
best sound yet that I had - open pipes - too loud to drive without getting pulled over or going deaf but it sounded so good. Very deep V8 burble and popping on deceleration and at idle, opening the gates of hell scream at high rpm.

no cats, no resonator and stock muffler = too much buzzing
no cats, no resonator, flowmaster muffler = better but still buzzed from 2k to 3k rpm
no cats, glasspack at resonator location, flowmaster = even better but still had buzzing around 2.5-3k rpm
no front cats, high flow main cat, glasspack, flowmaster = even better but I still have a little buzz at 3k. My current setup. Got the low end torque back with this setup too. Harvey was right - the main cat makes a difference.

Still searching for the perfect sound. I think glasspacks where the stock pre-cats are would completely kill the buzz but unfortunately they would probably die from the heat rather quickly.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tony117s Send a message via MSN to Tony117s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
Sounded like my civic, I was expecting a boxer blurble like an sti but I guess you'd need a turbo for that. Maybe it's just how the engine itself sounds, so I'll probably just leave my exhaust stock forever. In this case, for the thread, "Quiet"
You'll never have a boxer blurble on an SVX because we have equal length headers, where as imprezas have unequal.
'00 Green Forester S 78k
Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Dayton-Dave

Registered SVX
Wan's exhaust sounded good to me....

I think with a manual transmission... an opened up (read as louder) exhaust note is something I would want on the car. This sound track of his sounded great! However, on an auto trans car I prefer a quiet exhaust.

Dave
Old 04-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
Still searching for the perfect sound. I think glasspacks where the stock pre-cats are would completely kill the buzz but unfortunately they would probably die from the heat rather quickly.
That's why svxfiles came up with the exhaust system that he put on newsvx's car, my car, and his supercharged claret.

What they all have in common are larger head pipes (2" on Harry's and mine and 2'5" on svxfiles) and ceramic-filled/stainless steel resonators in place of the stock pre-cats, then flowing into one high-flow cat.

Better exhaust flow, no raspiness or buzzing. non-restricting and slightly louder and deeper than stock at idle and very quiet at cruising speeds

newsvx's 92 pearlie

my 96 polo

svxfiles supercharged claret

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
I will soon have a very similar set up still trying to figure out whether to do 2 resonators or 3...
Old 04-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t
I will soon have a very similar set up still trying to figure out whether to do 2 resonators or 3...
I did 3. I used 2 of the 2" inlet/outlet Aero resonators in place of the pre-cats. After flowing out of the resonators and through a Magnaflow high-flow cat, I installed athe third Areo resonator (2.5" inlet/outlet) in the same position as the stock resonator. Then 2.5" back to the stock muffler.

The Areo resonators do not use the baffle system and therefore do not buzz or rattle under acceleration. The stock muffler is a good design, so I kept it in place

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .