How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-16-2002, 08:08 PM
Turbo_SVX_Man

Tranny Flush

Any special things i should know about flushing the tranny on the svx? Should i go with oem filter and gasket? THanks
Old 04-17-2002, 03:55 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Turbo? You got pictures?
Are you talkiing about the internal screen filter or the external black filter thing?

Turbo? On your SVX? For real?
Old 04-17-2002, 06:55 PM
Turbo_SVX_Man

The kit for the turbo is being fabricated....lots of time and money...but with the tranny flush...should i replace both filters or what? i have no clue what there is besides the external one. I havnt got into it yet...thanks
Old 04-17-2002, 07:07 PM

The external filter is said to be FOREVER, does not need to be replaced. However you could buy the "filter kit" and replace the filter yourself or have some one do it. I would drop the pan and clean the magnet and change the fluid and then change the fluid again in about 5 K miles. How many miles you got on the tranny?
Old 04-18-2002, 12:35 AM
Turbo_SVX_Man

109k on the tranny...I think i should flush it for the hell of it
Old 04-18-2002, 04:33 AM

Has the tranny ever been rebuilt or any problems?
Old 04-18-2002, 08:23 AM
Turbo_SVX_Man

Nothing at all has ever been done to it. It does have a extra tranny cooler though
Old 04-19-2002, 04:54 AM

You have the "Unbelieveable Tranny". That might be a record.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:39 PM

Lightbulb tubor man & tranny flush

Hey Tubo SVX
Sounds like you've been one lucky SVx member.

Flushing is a good idea that it removes all fluid. Yet many members have flushed their trannies and had it roll over dead a few weeks later. I'm not going to get into wether it did or does not kill trannies...
I feel if you flush the tranny, bypass your 2nd filter and Cooler. Flush the cooler serperatly. I know it's a pain in the ass but what else you expect !!! After you flush, Clean out the internal screen.. It would mean dropping the pan and all. Sounds like a bit of back tracking... Well if you have an older 92 tranny, I'm more then willing to bet there is a fairshare of trash, dirt, & varnish in the tranny just waiting to be let loose. If you have the original radiator from 92.. By pass the radiator or replace it.

I can say all of this because hide sight is better then20/20..

Also check into the back ground of your SVX... Ask for a copy of the dealers records and If ya ask Suby Qa real nice he might could help with finding some MORE history of your SVX.. Find out it's history before going hogwild. remember the 92's had some flaws in the radiator that effected the Tranny. I"m just going to guess YOur tranny may have been replaced. But don't quote me.
I'm not a resident meachanic or anything. just what I"ve learned from being an owner. If your tranny has never been replaced. Then it should go down on Record. !

Best of luck.
SVX1999
Old 05-14-2002, 07:43 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I just changed the oil on my tranny last weekend. I learned a few things. First the history:

- Purchased car (92 LS-L) March 2001, dealership had the tranny replaced before they would even receive the car.
- I drove the car up to last weekend without needing to touch the tranny.
- I have put a total of 21,000km (13,000mi) on my car in that time.

The "filter/screen" inside the tranny SHOULD be replaced when changing tranny oil. My dad, who also happens to be my mechanic, attempted to clean the screen as best he could. The screen appeared to be clean. We still ended up installing a new screen/filter. After we were done we were curious and opened up the old filter. What we found was that there was still lots of metal filings in the screen despite being cleaned. Almost all of which could not be seen from either opening. I'm glad I put in the new filter.

Also
- don't forget to put the magnet back in BEFORE tightening the oil pan
- my magnet had a beautiful "flower" of filings on it which looked cool but I'm sure says something bad with my tranny.
- if you're changing the filter by the radiator then get the filter kit. The entire kit costs less than just the filter by itself.

p.s. Has anyone actually seen the screen/mesh inside the radiators in early SVX's?
Old 05-14-2002, 08:43 PM
PDhamSVXer

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
You have the "Unbelieveable Tranny". That might be a record.
I dont know about that, my 92 has 110k on it, no tranny cooler and has never been rebuilt. I still have no problems whatsoever. no "slipping" between any gears or anyhting. But i cross my fingers everyday becuase if it goes that might mean i will have to sell the SVX.. Anyway just wanted to share

Paul
Old 05-17-2002, 02:27 PM
cmoreloc13

Transmission

I am at 129,850 and counting. Original trans, no repairs and no problems other than normal aging. Flushed trans and filled with Mobil 1 ATF. Replaced external filter and added an external cooler. Result... crisper shifting. All of this was done at 110,000. Two fluid changes since. Fluid stays clean. Definitely do it.

Last edited by cmoreloc13; 05-17-2002 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-17-2002, 05:21 PM
Turbo_SVX_Man

I got the external filter and went to subaru today to get the little screen people talk about replacing inside the trans. They spent about a half hour looking and said it does not exist. They are F-ing pissing me off so i went to a local import supply and they had the pan gasket and screen...So I think tonight im gonna do it all. Thanks for everyones imput
Old 05-18-2002, 01:36 AM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
My 92 now has 117000 miles, original transmission with no repairs, no filter replacement, and no cooler. No shifting problems either.
Old 05-19-2002, 03:11 AM

Smile trans flush

Hey guys
Hmm I've heard talk that it is rather hard finding a replacement screen fromt he dealerships. Since it is not an item they replace when they service your transmission. Might as well tell you " It don't exist" ...
Now I have a pan gasket but I would like to get a few screens.
Glad to hear of so many Trannies that have lasted so long without any problems. I'm not a hard driver of my cars. So I gota ask the questions what's up with so many other SVX's and bad transimissions'?? Upon buying my car I had no idea the trans had been replaced... My trans only had 40k on it. 3 weeks after a trans flush it died.......................
About this time is when I found out this was Tranny number 3 that had DIED in the cars history.... the first trans lasted 70k... CUrrently there is 124K miles on the car.
THere are a number of factors. It did have the original Radiator.
I spoke to Don won of DRW Transmission in California. He said the Raidator based cooling line on the 92's had a Very Fine mesh wire. Impossible to clean. Very easy to clog.

I know my car was serviced and cared for very well. If I had to guess what killed the transmission. Something must have become clogged. Either the internal screen, or the radiator heat sink. Hell I cross my fingers even with the NEW transmission.
Other factors.... Well I think many SVX problems continue because of sloppy work. Every year for 3 years the original owner replaced a rear wheel bearing. Upon buying the car. I replaced one rear wheel bearing. ANd yes it has been replaced again in less then a Year. What's the problem. SHoty installs and Not paying attention to TSB's ... Aside fromthe fact the bearing is still faulty... Okay I see I"m long winded.
take care guys. I need some info on how to get at this internal screen.
Svx1999