Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-22-2005, 06:19 PM

AHHH, more crap

Ok, so lately my car has been jumping around 1500 to 2000 rpms, also the CEL came on due to the jumping one day. I took her home and checked the thrown codes, 32 and 37, which I came to learn from the internet and the dealership to be oxygen sensors. Simple right? $238 dollars later I have to new O2 sensors that I installed. STILL THE SAME CRAPPY PROBLEM!!! Frustration is running HIGH!! I also cleared the CEL but its throwing the same codes, 32 and 37. Can anybody help, any advice is good advice, my mom says I should "jump my car to a dealership and get a new one"... Screw that I love my SVX!! Remember, ANY ADVICE IS GOOD AT THIS POINT, thank you.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:37 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb21585
Ok, so lately my car has been jumping around 1500 to 2000 rpms, also the CEL came on due to the jumping one day. I took her home and checked the thrown codes, 32 and 37, which I came to learn from the internet and the dealership to be oxygen sensors. Simple right? $238 dollars later I have to new O2 sensors that I installed. STILL THE SAME CRAPPY PROBLEM!!! Frustration is running HIGH!! I also cleared the CEL but its throwing the same codes, 32 and 37. Can anybody help, any advice is good advice, my mom says I should "jump my car to a dealership and get a new one"... Screw that I love my SVX!! Remember, ANY ADVICE IS GOOD AT THIS POINT, thank you.

it's probally one of 2 things. either your timing belt skipped a tooth on both sides of the motor and is going bad or your wiring is experiencing some difficulties. i'm thinking timing belt.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:19 AM
red95svx

The check engine light does not only come on when a sensor has failed. It also comes on if a sensor detects a problem. Example: We've had SVX's come in with knock sensor codes. But the knock sensors were not bad. They were simply doing their job: informing the ECU that engine knock has been detected. The ECU then informs you by turning on the check engine light. The cause on each occasion ends up being low octane gas. After a few tanks of the good stuff the knock goes away, the knock sensors tell the ECU that all is well, and the light goes out.

Seing as how you have replaced the sensors and you still get the same codes, your problem was probably not the O2 sensors (did you buy the kind that you splice in? If you did a poor job splicing that would cause an 02 sensor code). They might have been simply telling you that what they were detecting was not normal. My guess (since you don't have any other codes) is that you have some sort of intake leak that is throwing off the air/fuel ratio and making the O2 sensors report a problem. Just a guess. I tend to not lean towards a timing problem because the cars I've seen with jumped belts ran like absolute garbage at any RPM and seriously lacked power.

Dave
Old 07-23-2005, 11:44 AM

the sensors I put in were OEM replacements that just snapped back into the connector ports and screwed into the exhaust pipes. if there was a leak from the intake to throw off the ratio of air/fuel, would the car jump at a certain rpm like mine does now and where should I look for this leak?
Old 07-23-2005, 01:11 PM
KCROGUEDOG

try hooking up again and clearing the code completly out of the ecu. not just by un hooking the battery. is this problem at idle? my idle jumps about 400 rpms every 2 minutes. and runs back down. i found this out adjusting my throttle.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:22 AM

the problem does not happen at idle but does happen when I rev the engine and keep it in that rpm band. I will definitely try clearing the codes again. I have a friend with a MX6 and when he changed his O2 sensors he said it took a couple days for everything to start working right, does the svx have to "re-learn" that I put in new sensors?