Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Ya. I recall everyone saying the Fiero was the hot ticket when it came out. Opel Kadett + Chevy Citation = yuck. It didn't take long before they all ate their words.

Sorry, I can't get worked up about anything from the General. They've let me down too many times. Just barely good enough underneath to sell a pretty face.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:15 PM
RobSVX

Not much competition after 2007

GM (Mr. Lutz) already announced the death of the 'Zeta' project.
All V8's with Rear Wheel Drive will have a last production run in 2007.

No mas after that...
Old 04-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Yay, kill off more cars to make room for more trucks and SUV's. Way to go GM.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow248
I really doubt they're going to cut anything. But it will be Buick before Pontiac, that's for sure.
Very true, but I'd hate to see Buick go. I really like their new LaCrosse...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Unstoppable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder
Hey that's great. I am sure people want to invest 32k in a plain car, then another 2k for a hood and body kit, plus paint and install fees...
I would.......I dont need to "look" fast to feel good about the car.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 04-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Certified Porschephile

Will the new improved rustang leak oil out of the crank seals like all 5.4L fords?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
either way, it still looks nicer than the 'Grand Prix GTO.'
Why? Because it doesn't have a Pontiac badge on it? It's the same damn car except for the grill and side skirts. ANd if you want, you can order those with your GTO now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnygimp
Look at the 04 GTO. Its about as plain and unassuming as a car can be, hence people calling it a Cavalier or a Grand Prix, and it coulda been the next generation of either by looks alone. The sales were ****ty, so now GM has made the hood and the bodykit availible so people will stop complaining about the plainness. It can still be had cheaper than the Corvette and probably the Camaro if it were still around. The last Z28s were getting quite expensive.
What do you consider "sporty"? To me GTO and Cavalier both are very sporty LOOKING vehicles. In fact they are a whole lot sportier looking than the EVO or STi, which I think most people on this site would say look sporty. Perhaps we just have a different definition of sporty.

The best part is that everyone, including the media, keeps saying how sales were so bad. The GTO actually outsold it's expected first run (reason being they weren't stupid and didn't set their sights too high). If the thing didn't sell good enough, they wouldn't be expanding the line. Not at this point with GM's financial situation.

The GTO is currently priced exactly where a Camaro SS or WS6 would be if it still existed. THe 2002 WS6 sold for $32,600 full loaded. The new GTO is just scratching at $35,000. Sounds about right to me.

When they bring back the Chevy muscle car...whether or not it will be called Camaro is not certain...but we think so...we do know now of course that it will not be on the Zeta platform...but instead on a modified Kappa platform....the GTO will serve as the high end "Grand Tourer" with a fully independent suspension and all the amenities, and the Camaro (or whatever it's called) will be the budget racer. Kinda like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder
Hey that's great. I am sure people want to invest 32k in a plain car, then another 2k for a hood and body kit, plus paint and install fees...
Yeah, when they can get a comfortable loaded car that can do 0-60 in 4.6secs (and look pretty good doing it) for $35k where else? Thus the reason that M3 owners are flocking to the 05 GTO. THEY are the ones who are saying it rides better, feels more solid, looks as good, and costs so much less to own and modify. This car will be a success sooner or later, hence the reason I believe that they may stick with this sort of styling at least for the GTO when the redesign FINALLY comes. The M3 is what, $50k? And it is getting embarassed in every respect by the new GTO. These are not my words...they are the words of former M3 owners. I didn't have a clue this was happening until just recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
Sorry, I can't get worked up about anything from the General. They've let me down too many times. Just barely good enough underneath to sell a pretty face.
That's funny, cause I feel the exact same way about Subaru. Different experiences I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSVX
GM (Mr. Lutz) already announced the death of the 'Zeta' project. All V8's with Rear Wheel Drive will have a last production run in 2007.
Partially true. He announced the death of the CURRENT PHASE of the Zeta platform. First, however, that doesn't mean it's dead (though it very well could be), and second, it DEFINETLY does not mean the death of RWD V8's for GM. Why the hell would GM give up on the architecture that they execute best? They now make GOOD FWD compacts, they have been making GOOD FWD V6s for a short time, but they have always made AWESOME RWD V8's. It's already been noted that before the Zeta plan was announced, the 2007 "Camaro" would be a modified Kappa platform. That was the original plan. The Zeta platform was simply a way to simplify a changeover to the RWD architecture. The Zeta would support RWD or AWD setups...so any car using it could be offered either way. Unfortunately now we will probably have to wait one more generation to see this. But I really think we will still see a new RWD V8 Platform, probably a redesigned Kappa, underpinning the 2007 or 2008 GTO's, Camaros (or whatever else they call it), Impalas and Montes. Heck they already dropped the LS4 V8 in the current generation Monte and Impala. They're halfway there.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_SVX
Will the new improved rustang leak oil out of the crank seals like all 5.4L fords?
??

I work on a quite a few 5.4s (a lot of Navigators in the shop - a Lincoln dealer) and have yet to see a single one leak from either end of the crank. Not saying it isn't possible, just never heard that complaint before.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Hater

Quote:
The best part is that everyone, including the media, keeps saying how sales were so bad. The GTO actually outsold it's expected first run (reason being they weren't stupid and didn't set their sights too high). If the thing didn't sell good enough, they wouldn't be expanding the line. Not at this point with GM's financial situation.
they had to prctically give the 2004(5's? - the 350hp ones) away. some guys on NASIOC were getting them new for around $23,000 after rebates and stuff. a good deal, but GM couldn't have been turning a decent profit on them. i rarely see them on the road. i think i've seen two so far, and the mulletheads around here love their Camaros and Firebirds.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-05-2005, 08:28 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnygimp
I would.......I don't need to "look" fast to feel good about the car.
Exactly. The 69-70 Boss 429 was no different than the base 6 cyl from the outside, except for the little "BOSS 429" sticker on the fenders.

The 87 Shelby GLHS was all Black with a small "GLHS" sticker on the lower rocker panel. It was the fastest car that Dodge produced in the 80's and was one of the most plain.

Some people would rather have a wolf in sheep's clothing and some would rather have a sheep in wolf's clothing.

All personal preference. There is no right or wrong, only personal preference.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 04-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Certified Porschephile

Our Crown Vic POS's have the DOHC 4.6L motors. The state got the 5.4L pursuit motors in thiers. I had talked with a Troop and he said the "new" cars leaked oil horribly compared with their older cars with the 4.6L's. The Navigator isn't set up with the higher compresion. The rustang shelby version will be of higher output then the truck version.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Certified Porschephile

Shadow, I like the GTO. I really like the 07 version in Motor Trend this month. Much more then the rustang, but that is obviously personal prefrence. One of the car mags I get picked the rustang over the GTO. The mail response they received was 123 for the GTO, 2 for the rustang.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
they had to prctically give the 2004(5's? - the 350hp ones) away. some guys on NASIOC were getting them new for around $23,000 after rebates and stuff. a good deal, but GM couldn't have been turning a decent profit on them. i rarely see them on the road. i think i've seen two so far, and the mulletheads around here love their Camaros and Firebirds.
That had nothing to do with sales numbers. The 2005 GTO has the LS2 instead of the LS1. Why pay $32k for an LS1 when you can pay $33k-$34k for an LS2 (plus better brakes and a slightly more aggressive appearance)? That's why they had to give them away.

You know, you CAN make a sentence without using the words Camaro AND mullet together.

Last edited by Shadow248; 04-05-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Hater

Quote:
You know, you CAN make a sentence without using the words Camaro AND mullet together.
it almost unpossible.

2. CamaroMullet: The CamaroMullet used to have full reign over the mullet brethren, but that was back in the 70's and 80's. This species has fallen from grace since, but can still be seen enjoying NASCAR events and shopping at Kragen, or up in the attic cooking up crank. Distinguishing features include: a molester mustache (peach fuzzy), tight-fitting acid wash jeans, and an ever-present key ring hanging from the belt loop.

Feel the mulletude emanating through your computer screen from this rare pic.

It is not recommended you confront the CamaroMullet, for they are very aggressive and cannot be hurt (this might be due to the frequent use of methamphetamines, angel dust, etc.).

Mulletude: 10

Aggressiveness: 10

Hobbies: primering cars, bar fights, picking scabs, losing teeth.

Sightings: Kragen, Grand Auto, working on a Camaro on their front lawn.

Favorite Band: AC DC

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-05-2005, 11:38 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

hahahahahahahahaha

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network