SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
al-sy'-uh-nee
Mannn... I hope you aren't pulling my leg, cause that is exactly how I will now pronounce it. If you are joshing me, you will make all the other members give me wedgies at the next meet.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-15-2005, 10:56 PM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
Mannn... I hope you aren't pulling my leg, cause that is exactly how I will now pronounce it. If you are joshing me, you will make all the other members give me wedgies at the next meet.
I will just play it safe and call my car an SVX..::hides Alcyone emblem purchased from MSW behind back... and I must admit im hesitant to give another grown man a wedgie but im sure its in me somewhere to deliver one
Old 03-16-2005, 04:26 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel 22
and I must admit im hesitant to give another grown man a wedgie but im sure its in me somewhere to deliver one
Hah hah hah!

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:49 AM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
Quote:
Originally Posted by magickfingers
A couple of questions just to prove my abysmal ignorance to anyone who wasn't sure.
1) I know that the Subaru logo is a stylized rendition of the constellation Pleiades, and that Alcyone is the brightest star in Pleiades, but is Alcyone also what the Japanese SVX was called?
2) What is the cool looking 'horns' logo really supposed to be? It looks like a very stylized longhorn steer to me, but i really like it.
Thanks for any info. Marc
1) Okay, here's the way I've always understood it, astological and mythological stuff aside. The Alcyone name was meant to be more than just the car's name, it was meant to be a new premium brand for Subaru in Japan. It consisted of 4 cars throughout it's use, the Alcyone VS (XT), Alcyone VR (XT Turbo), Alcyone VX (XT6), and Alcyone SVX (duh). If you look at the JDM cars, none of them say Subaru on the body, just Aylcone. Unfortunately, the concept never took off, and now we have Saabs as premium Subarus.

2)Couldn't tell you anything about this one. While it certainly is cool looking, I prefer having people know I drive a Subaru, and I'm damn proud of it. So, no horns for me.

Quote:
Let me just pull this thread off topic just for a second...

How do you pronounce Alcyone?

OK,... Backing back out again, hoping for an answer.
Like question one, this is just my understanding of it. Alcyone has no proper English pronunciation, so it's all in how you decipher it. I personally pronounce it Al-see-own. But I've heard it pronouced the same way Pockets does, as well as Al-see-owe-nay, and many others that I can't remember right now.

Honestly though, it's your car, pronounce it however you want. Anyone you say it to outside this forum is gonna think your drunk, so what difference does it make?

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 03-16-2005, 06:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Nick,

Sounds like "bull" to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarJohnny
Actually, you are correct in the longhorn steer assumption. The Pleides constellation is located on the shoulder of the bull which makes up the Zodiac constallation "Taurus ". It is a symbol of power. The Alcyone symbol is indeed a bull.

Johnny
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 03-16-2005, 06:49 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksied-X
1) Okay, here's the way I've always understood it, astological and mythological stuff aside. The Alcyone name was meant to be more than just the car's name, it was meant to be a new premium brand for Subaru in Japan. It consisted of 4 cars throughout it's use, the Alcyone VS (XT), Alcyone VR (XT Turbo), Alcyone VX (XT6), and Alcyone SVX (duh). If you look at the JDM cars, none of them say Subaru on the body, just Aylcone. Unfortunately, the concept never took off, and now we have Saabs as premium Subarus.

2)Couldn't tell you anything about this one. While it certainly is cool looking, I prefer having people know I drive a Subaru, and I'm damn proud of it. So, no horns for me.

Like question one, this is just my understanding of it. Alcyone has no proper English pronunciation, so it's all in how you decipher it. I personally pronounce it Al-see-own. But I've heard it pronouced the same way Pockets does, as well as Al-see-owe-nay, and many others that I can't remember right now.

Honestly though, it's your car, pronounce it however you want. Anyone you say it to outside this forum is gonna think your drunk, so what difference does it make?
There was a huge thread a while back on the pronounciation of "Alcyone". I believe that the final word on how to pronounce it was "al-SIGH-oh-nee". I could be mistaken but it really comes down to translation.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:58 AM

[QUOTE=Darksied-X]1) Okay, here's the way I've always understood it, astological and mythological stuff aside. The Alcyone name was meant to be more than just the car's name, it was meant to be a new premium brand for Subaru in Japan. It consisted of 4 cars throughout it's use, the Alcyone VS (XT), Alcyone VR (XT Turbo), Alcyone VX (XT6), and Alcyone SVX (duh). If you look at the JDM cars, none of them say Subaru on the body, just Aylcone. Unfortunately, the concept never took off, and now we have Saabs as premium Subarus.

QUOTE]

I say 10 extra points for the most logical answer.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Recluse

Quote:
I say 10 extra points for the most logical answer.
Hmmm...Thanks, but there is really nothing more logical about my answer than the others. They covered the astro/mythological side of it pretty dead on, I just merely commented on the business aspect of it. As is usually the case with Subaru, there is usually more than one simple answer to a question.

'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust

Last edited by Darksied-X; 03-16-2005 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Marc,

Welcome to the SVX family.
Many miles of happy motoring.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 03-16-2005, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...Thanks, but there is really nothing more logical about my answer than the others. They covered the astro/mythological side of it pretty dead on, I just merely commented on the business aspect of it. As is usually the case with Subaru, there is usually more than one simple answer to a question.
No doubt! I believe every word of it and it's interesting as all get out. I didn't know any of that. But as you said, all aside... Bizznit is Bizznit, and it makes sense to label their premium product as a separate entity in contrast to their mainstream products.

Ohh!! Here's how to clear it up.....

10 points to all involved for "what" they did, and 10 extra points for all involved on "why" they did.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:12 PM
no limitation as limitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorflyr

Magickfingers,
Thats just Kelli, just grin and nod polietly and she won't bite, we keep her around cause she's polite and helps keep some sanity in this place

Oh, and I can't really answer your questions either

thats a load of pooh!!!!

the only reason we keep kelli around is because shes a girl.

we dont want any subaru sausage parties.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
Quote:
OK, to clear up any confusion. Alcyone was NOT a premium brand name for Subaru in Japan. It was just the model name for their two door sports coupe. Premium brand names such as Lexus, Infiniti, Acura etc are not used in the JDM market although Lexus will do in the near future. JDM SVXs do have a Subaru logo on them, below the right rear light.

The Japanese pronunciation of Alcyone is Al-see-owe-nay and most Japanese refer to the SVX as just Alcyone without the SVX part.

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1980 Isuzu 117 Coupe Giugiaro Edition
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2006 Toyota Mark X Premium
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 03-16-2005, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlesnz
OK, to clear up any confusion. Alcyone was NOT a premium brand name for Subaru in Japan. It was just the model name for their two door sports coupe. Premium brand names such as Lexus, Infiniti, Acura etc are not used in the JDM market although Lexus will do in the near future. JDM SVXs do have a Subaru logo on them, below the right rear light.

The Japanese pronunciation of Alcyone is Al-see-owe-nay and most Japanese refer to the SVX as just Alcyone without the SVX part.
My brain hurts.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:20 AM
Recluse

Quote:
My brain hurts.
Well, considering where he's living right now, I'd take his definition of it over mine. Like I said, it was just my understanding, not fact.

'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
Old 03-17-2005, 02:19 PM

ok...i wasn't hitting on him...i was having a great day because i just had picked up my new "puppy" (6 month old rescued dog from Georgia)

his name is bosko, like the 3rd watch bosko...he is a cocker/lab/golden mix

black with a lab body and cocker hair

and the SWEETest personality!

and i only hit on communical disease free, blue eyed, nice tushed firefighters name Bill from NJ who respect the SVX and love ford!

so i think that totally gets rid of everyone on here....

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.