Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-02-2005, 10:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
need some parts - obviously

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=24231

Hopefully someone out there can help me out.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 02-02-2005, 12:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Something I learned years ago about the SVX is that at low speeds in slikery conditions, the ABS can lockup all 4 wheels before you come to a complete stop. We'd like to think that ABS works perfectly down to 0 mph, but unfortunately it doesn't. Since the ABS uses speed differentials between the wheels, when all 4 wheels are locked, it thinks that the car is stopped whether it actually is or not. When you sense this happening, immediately let go of the brakes and allow the tires to regain some traction, then steer away from the obstacle and/or apply light brakes if possible. Otherwise...well, you already know what happens otherwise.

KuoH
Old 02-05-2005, 01:47 PM

Suspension parts on the way - I hope everything goes smoothly with that.

As for the wheel - still somewhat looking. I know Dayle has one and I might just have to grab it from him.

Side note -> The place that has my car said my spare tire has a hole in it and isn't holding air. They stated that it can't be removed from the rim to be replaced and the entire spare+tire combo is pretty much trash. Is this true? I've never really heard of that.

I miss my SVX

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:39 PM

Drove her home today .........god this car is amazing.

I've got the steering wheel cranked a good 60 degrees to keep her straight and u know what? I glance down at the speedo and see 80mph, like "woah ...gotta slow down."

Even with serious suspension damage it still drives like a dream. It's quite amusing, yet disturbing. Had to drive 166 miles back home and the SVX brought me back here safely - even after the hell I put it through. Front tire treads are all out of whack though.

I'll be without it for a while as my brother tackles the laundry list of maintenance that needs to be done. Hopefully everything goes well but I'm about to sink a lot of money into it.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:28 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Best of luck, Mike! We are going to see you at Reading this year, right?

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bizarre Send a message via Yahoo to Bizarre Send a message via Skype™ to Bizarre
Hope you get the SvX back soon.

BTW, I have to disagree with Kuoh from a few posts back (well, really I want to add to his idea).
I recommend using light acceleration to pull yourself out of a 4 wheel slide.

The same slide condition happened to me on Rt92 in Delaware.
Was decelerating for a left turn in 4 inches of snow when the car decided it would continue straight into a cornfield.

ABS Brakes did no good so I did the old "front wheel drive" trick and gave it a little gas for a quick grab. Miracle of miracles the car regained grip, turned left, and I avoided the cornfield.

(Try at your own risk of course).

"In times of peace, a gentleman keeps his sword at his side." Sun Tzu c 300 b.c.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Not a miracle really, just a matter of regaining some traction. A bit of gas can help too depending on the circumstances. But whatever you do, despite the conditioning we have all been subjected to about ABS, let off the brakes when you sense that the car is sliding on all fours. Locked wheels are the least useful of all the possible scenarios.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Bizarre
ABS Brakes did no good so I did the old "front wheel drive" trick and gave it a little gas for a quick grab. Miracle of miracles the car regained grip, turned left, and I avoided the cornfield.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:00 PM

I'll probably be at Reading this year! I was amazed last year of all the SVXers that showed up! What fun.

You know .........my car was traveling in almost the right direction .......I bet if I did give it some gas I would've steered clear of the curb. Dam.

Not much I could do now - just hopefully I'm ready if I'm ever in the situation ever again. My parts order goes in tomorrow so hopefully I'll get her back by next week.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:59 PM

and the hits just keep on coming

Ugh, I hate this

So - my brother finally had time to try and take care of my laundry list of stuff to be done.

Finished:
-Driver's side axle instead from Raxles (strongly recommend them btw)

Not Finished:
-Suspension Damage
--Might have extra damage
-Exhaust Leak - needs replacing...not gaskets

The used parts that I got from Danoparts.com are wrong. He sent me all driver's side parts!!!!!! I'm so pissed. My bro took the right side apart totally and grabbed the new stuff only to find it's wrong. He had to press in the old (now broken obviously) bearing back in and put all the crappy parts back in.

He said he had a hard time getting the control arm back in and believes that the frame might be bent/shifted. He also said, it might just need a control arm and not a knuckle......but can't tell. He put it on the alignment rack and tried adjusting it as much as possible with absolutely no change.

So this sucks - I don't really know what to do...I'm broke and I have useless driver's side parts. Does anyone have a control arm I can "borrow" to see if it fixes the problem?

I'm not sure if I should get all the mechanical components only to find that the frame is bent ...does anyone know anything about that? If it gets straightened will it drive the same???? I'm very upset

I just want my SVX back

Old 04-18-2005, 05:30 PM

I got my car back.

The only thing we replaced was the lower control arm, balljoint and wheel bearing. Everything else looked alright, but the alignment rack tells a different story. Oddly enough everything looks good as far as toe, and camber - it's actually within spec with just the control arm.

But - the caster is off on the passenger side. The nominal range is 4.08-5.58, with a normal of 4.83 ...well the driver's side is 4.3, but the passenger side is 2.8 ....I can really tell a difference in that the SVX doesn't feel like it's got that same tear up the road around curves ...I was reading and caster has a big deal with this.

So - what should I do? The wheel is sitting back just a smidget from the caster value, but I'm not sure how I can pull it back. My bro said I'm beat and just drive it because the sub frame must be shifted. It's very upsetting because my SVX has now officially become my beater car. It's my only car now, but I don't see myself doing any upgrades to it anymore if the alignment is permanently off.

How about a caster camber kit, might that help? Ugh ...at least I got her back, drove 300 miles this weekend and felt great .....................but I can tell she doesn't hug as well as she used to

Last edited by rmjjensen; 04-18-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjjensen
I got my car back.

The only thing we replaced was the lower control arm, balljoint and wheel bearing. Everything else looked alright, but the alignment rack tells a different story. Oddly enough everything looks good as far as toe, and camber - it's actually within spec with just the control arm.

But - the camber is off on the passenger side. The nominal range is 4.08-5.58, with a normal of 4.83 ...well the driver's side is 4.3, but the passenger side is 2.8 ....I can really tell a difference in that the SVX doesn't feel like it's got that same tear up the road around curves ...I was reading and caster has a big deal with this.

So - what should I do? The wheel is sitting back just a smidget from the caster value, but I'm not sure how I can pull it back. My bro said I'm beat and just drive it because the sub frame must be shifted. It's very upsetting because my SVX has now officially become my beater car. It's my only car now, but I don't see myself doing any upgrades to it anymore if the alignment is permanently off.

How about a caster camber kit, might that help? Ugh ...at least I got her back, drove 300 miles this weekend and felt great .....................but I can tell she doesn't hug as well as she used to

Mike. you are saying it is the camber, but quoting caster figures.
2.8 degs means the wheel has moved backwards, either the control arm is bent, or the sub frame has moved back. It may come good with a new control arm, and loosening the sub frame bolts, to allow it to move forward to its original position. Check the sub frame bolts for damage.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:50 PM

yeah I had one slip up writing camber instead of caster in my post ...fixed ...but obviously yes I meant caster.

We put a new control arm in ...that's how it's driveable without severe steering issues. As for the subframe bolts nothing really looked out of the ordinary, but it doesn't hurt to give it another peak ...I'd say the wheel sits back maybe .5" from where it should. It's not too dramatic ...more annoying that I know something is wrong with it.

This coming weekend we'll put it on the lift and rack again to see if maybe there's some play somewhere.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:17 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

So mike how exactly does it drive now? Hows the handling and thigns like that?

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network