Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-15-2004, 05:59 PM

Replacing Brake Piston Seals

In the course of changing my rotors and pads this weekend (Frozen Rotors slotted rotors and Akebono ACT ceramic pads -- I'll let you all know how they work out ), I noticed that one of the rubber piston seals on the right front caliper was torn).

I've never had to replace one of these -- can someone walk me through the process?

Thanks for any and all help!

Joe Fillip
'95 L AWD ("The Wayback Machine")
Swarthmore, PA

"You don't learn from smart people, you learn from idiots. Watch what they do, then don't do it." Minnesota Fats
Old 08-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

This is vry clearly explained in the SVX service manual

The procedure is complicated and different front to rear and if done incorrectly can leave you worse off then before.

Thta said, I'd recommend sweet talking your dealer in to letting you view thier service manual and doing the job or just buying rebuilt calipers.

Todd
Old 08-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I powder coated and then rebuilt my calipers and it was not to bad, but It took me about 1-1/2 to do the first one.

The hardest part is removing and reinstalling the pistions.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:07 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Joe, as I recently did both front calipers, rotors and stainless lines I'll try to help. First, I tried the rebuild myself on the second caliper, before I had the manuals, and wasted a good deal of time, thinking I had it right til I loaded the pads and the piston seals popped out! Another rebuilt caliper coming up!!

Manual does give some worthwhile tips. Pistons are easily pushed out using compressed air, applied via inlet, being careful to "catch" them against a piece of wood to prevent projectile damage, and not use excessive pressure. If you use pliers it's almost inevitible that damage will result.

Clean the caliper thoroughly using brake fluid in the cylinders. Apply a coat of brake fluid to the piston seal and fit it into the groove in the cylinder wall. Apply a coat of BF to the entire inner surface of the cyl and outer surface of the piston. Apply a coat of specified grease (rubber grease or niglube RX-2) to the boot and fit in the groove on ends of cylinder and install piston boot onto caliper body. Now insert piston into boot and cylinder. Don't force piston into cylinder. Now position boot in grooves on cul and piston. Sounds easy!??? Best of luck. Think I might have been successful with the correct assembly order.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket