Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northwest Region

Old 07-08-2004, 05:27 PM
SEA Sleeper

Unhappy Transmission went from working fine to not at all...

It all started about 5 weeks ago when I had my tranny flushed and filled. The car shifted strong and smoothly untill yesterday morning it started to slip. Nothing too bad, but enough to cause concern. About 6 hours later I'm waiting for a tow on Lake City Way in N.Seattle.

THE BAD NEWS: I am very unhappy to report that my transmission will not engage into 3rd or 4th gear. I have been having trouble with the gears slipping in and out while driving on the freeway. The first sign started yesterday morning on my way to school, by 7 pm the tranny was not moving the car at all. I had it towed to my school in kirkland where it now rests on a lift in my classroom. I would be concidering installing a 5MT but I can only afford to rebuild my 4EAT. Any one have a spare they'd like to sell???

Here are the bottom line symptoms:

-The car will not engage into 3rd or 4th gear; while driving the transmission seems to disengage and go into "N".

-Checked line pressure by connecting gauge set to service port; readings indicated that pressure was very low. (acceptable range in "P" at idle: 64-82psi. Observed 47psi.) However, I also checked the pressure in "R", which uses the highest of all pressure ranges. (acceptable range in "R" at WOT: 206-230psi. Observed ~220 ) Idle psi was still low at idle though...(47psi in all gears at idle)

-NO TROUBLE CODES ARE BEING SENT FROM TCU:.......
-this leads me to believe that the problem lies in something non-electronic such as a seal on a "servo" or a band.

THE GOOD NEWS: The fluid itself is not fried and looks good. There are not a bunch of metal shavings in the fluid. I still have 1st and 2nd gear so the car is not completley crippled. I am able to drive at parking lot speeds to park and move the car on an emergency basis. I will not be driving the car for any reason but to move it. By tomorrow morning the pan will be removed and we will begin air pressure testing, visual inspections and preparations for transmission removal. My instructor is kind enough to let my class partner and I work on the transmission in the classroom w/ the school's tools. I am fortunate to have teamed up w/ a student that has worked in a transmission shop for the past half decade. I would be concidering installing a 5MT but I can only afford to rebuild my 4EAT.

I am trying to keep in good spirits and keep my chin up. I look forward to seeing all of you at the end of this month....I need a hug.

-Elliot

Last edited by SEA Sleeper; 07-08-2004 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:57 PM

*hug*

Now the bad news....there is plenty of argument back and forth on the site about whether a tranny flush is a good thing. Too many trannies have failed after a flush. Do a search.

Several of us around here just drain the pan and refill and do the other preventative measures we can (like filter and cooler).

Check mbtoloczko's site, he had a tranny for sale. Also, if you are thinking about a 5sp, contact Dave Clark Motorsports, he is the local expert on 5sp's for Subaru's.

I feel for you dude.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:00 PM

your are fortunate to have the skill, the help and the facility to be able to get into it and put it right. you da man!

Last edited by seasvx; 07-09-2004 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Ugh - sorry your tranny died. Good luck with the repairs, glad to hear you're working it out.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:50 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It's likely the clutch plates just wore out.