Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

You're kidding, right?

BTW, I went on the wrong side of that cone four times before I got it right. :-)

Okay, so they're tiny until you click on them...

So, they didn't hand out a print out of the course lay out? The local DC chapter hands copies out, and then you just have to mark them up after you walk the course - they usually make changes after the fact if they find that the course gets a little too fast in spots.
-Bill
p.s. Mr. Dyno showed up this morning. Talk about your crappy I/F I'm going to see if I can't bend up a bracket to bolt inside the car. I don't think they'll let me run with just the suction cups holding it to the windshield.

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-10-2004, 01:51 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide

So, they didn't hand out a print out of the course lay out? The local DC chapter hands copies out, and then you just have to mark them up after you walk the course - they usually make changes after the fact if they find that the course gets a little too fast in spots.
-Bill
p.s. Mr. Dyno showed up this morning. Talk about your crappy I/F I'm going to see if I can't bend up a bracket to bolt inside the car. I don't think they'll let me run with just the suction cups holding it to the windshield.
They did hand out a layout, but it didn't perfectly match the course. I did prewalk the course, but didn't seem to help much.

Those suction cups are very powerful. If the window is clean, you won't be able to get the suction cups off unless you pull on the tabs on them.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:

They did hand out a layout, but it didn't perfectly match the course. I did prewalk the course, but didn't seem to help much.
Then you needed to do it again and pay attention the next time.

We never get printouts of the course - it's different every weekend. I suggest walking the course three to four times. Make sure you pay attention to it every time. Walk it until you can remember every gate, how many cones are in each slalom, whether the slalom opens or closes or has offset cones, which side you enter each slalom from (and whether it's set or optional entry - and if it is optional, which would be better for your car / driving)...did I miss anything? As you're walking it, stop and look behind you. Think how you're going to come into a turn and how you should come into it.

Don't walk the course with other people unless you know those people are going to walk it for the same reasons. Our group does a mandatory walkthrough, but that's not enough. At that point I've walked it three to four times by myself. Besides that, if you walk it with a big group of people, you're not paying attention to the course and you can't see the course.

I simply can't stress how important walking the course is. If you aren't sure that you've got it, walk it again. If you are sure you've got it, walk it again and pay closer attention.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Superbeast

I want in. I just need to catch that group that sets up in the parkinglot by my work. I keep missing them. I have to go to the shop tommorrow, I hope their there.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 07-10-2004, 04:28 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Then you needed to do it again and pay attention the next time.
I walked it twice, but then I ran out of time. Walking it more often would help, but for me, the perspective while walking is different than the perspective while driving, so I really don't get it totally memorized until I drive the course. Maybe I'll get better with time.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:53 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

I walked it twice, but then I ran out of time. Walking it more often would help, but for me, the perspective while walking is different than the perspective while driving, so I really don't get it totally memorized until I drive the course. Maybe I'll get better with time.
You will. With time you'll get a better feel for how it's going to look at speed. Just leave yourself enough time to walk it more.

Some people find it helps to crouch down and look at it from the right height. You might try that. Every couple gates, just crouch down where you think your body will pass over the course when you're actually driving it. If you're going to be wide left in a particular gate, stand over to the left and crouch down to get a look at it. If you're going to be far right, go somewhere more towards the middle to take a look.

And when you're driving it, look ahead a couple gates. This is especially important when you do hairpins. If you focus too much on what's right in front of you, typically you'll miss your apex. But if you approach a hairpin looking where you want to be on the other side, you'll automatically do what you have to in order to get there.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-10-2004, 05:11 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Count me in

Gotta do it again - had a ton of fun at the subaru challenge autocross. It even rained all morning - perfect suby weather.

92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:

There are some people here that actually jog the course to get a different perspective. I definitely agree that it is better to walk it alone or with a very experienced autocrosser. I walked the course last month with one of the SCCA instructors and he was very helpful as to pointing out where the best line was - depending on what kind of car you were driving - throughout the course. It was almost too much info to handle, so I decided to just focus on 2-3 parts of the course.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 07-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
And then there were....

9!

OFFICIAL INTERNATIONAL SVX AUTOCROSS TEAM
NewSVX --- Senior Sage
SVXRide --- Humble Student
Chike --- Master of the 4:11
Mychailo --- Suspension Guru/Seeker of the Line
Ron M -- Master of Mirth/Seeker of Humor
Rufus -- Honorary Member (he's driving a 911 now!)
Earthworm -- North of the Border/Seeker of Suspension
Benebob -- MiniSVX (aka XTMan)
Immortal Suby --"Matt, Master of the wet pavement"

We get to 10 and I'm going to have to find a sponsor
-Bill

My Locker
Old 07-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Talking I'm all for that idea...

Best sponsor to get when you AutoX a lot is a tire manufacturer, 'cuz you sure go through a lot of rubber!

-Chike
Quote:
-Bill

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-11-2004, 12:54 AM
sans SVX

I did think about jogging the course, and then I also thought about riding one of my bicycles around the course at the next event. :-)) Not sure if they'll let me do that though.

I race mountain bikes and road bikes (though not recently), so I've taught myself to look ahead, but I have to say, on my first auto-x run, I had no focus at all. Too much adrenaline. :-) BTW, anyone here watching the Tour?

Visit my locker

Old 07-11-2004, 12:56 AM
sans SVX

Have to edit my description a bit...

OFFICIAL INTERNATIONAL SVX AUTOCROSS TEAM
NewSVX --- Senior Sage
SVXRide --- Humble Student
Chike --- Master of the 4:11
Mychailo --- Suspension Guru/Seeker of the correct side of the cone.
Ron M -- Master of Mirth/Seeker of Humor
Rufus -- Honorary Member (he's driving a 911 now!)
Earthworm -- North of the Border/Seeker of Suspension
Benebob -- MiniSVX (aka XTMan)
Immortal Suby --"Matt, Master of the wet pavement"

:-))

Visit my locker

Old 07-11-2004, 01:26 AM

Registered SVX
Re: And then there were....

Quote:
-Bill
Not that I wanted to point it out, but you might be missing somebody...

...not that I started the autorossing thread or anything.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-11-2004, 07:45 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Re: And then there were....

Quote:

Not that I wanted to point it out, but you might be missing somebody...

...not that I started the autorossing thread or anything.
We'll put you as # 1 on the international justy autocross team
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:

You will. With time you'll get a better feel for how it's going to look at speed. Just leave yourself enough time to walk it more.

Some people find it helps to crouch down and look at it from the right height. You might try that. Every couple gates, just crouch down where you think your body will pass over the course when you're actually driving it. If you're going to be wide left in a particular gate, stand over to the left and crouch down to get a look at it. If you're going to be far right, go somewhere more towards the middle to take a look.

And when you're driving it, look ahead a couple gates. This is especially important when you do hairpins. If you focus too much on what's right in front of you, typically you'll miss your apex. But if you approach a hairpin looking where you want to be on the other side, you'll automatically do what you have to in order to get there.
Mr. Pockets is very correct (AND he is on the official SVX autocross team too!!).

Knowing the course is ALL important. If one is off course, your time doesn't count - no matter how fast you were . Walking the course enough to get to know it is a must. But if there is not sufficient time to walk it more than once (stooping down to get a view of the turns at about the level you will be sitting in the car is also a good idea), be sure to help out (should be doing so ANYWAY!) by working a corner as a safety worker EARLY in the day and observe what others are doing in specific areas of the course - both the experienced drivers AND the inexperienced (learn from their mistakes).
And Mr. Pockets alluded to this as well: ALWAYS be thinking about the next turn / gate on the course. Don't even think about the gate you are going through at time, because it is then too late to make any corrections for THAT gate. Pay attention how you come out of the gate to set youself up for the next one. Above all, strive to be as SMOOTH as possible. And if your tires are squelling loudly, that means they are sliding - and THAT means loss of time.

And compete against yourself - not others. Every subsequent run should be better that the last! Do that, and you will be competitive with the others!

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: