Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-25-2004, 07:08 AM

A/C Questions

In my 97, the A/C is leaking. I had it dye tested and the only leak that could be found is on the LOW side of the compressor. Meaning, its just a bad oring? I have read that it is uncommon on the low side because of the low pressure. Anyone else have hidden A/C problems with a 97?
Also can i replace this o-ring myself to see if that fixes it? or will i cause more problems?
This is the first car i've had that i'm not just removing the a/c system and i dunno how to fix it lol

My first Subaru, 1997 LSi #004 - SOLD!
Currently driving: 2002 Honda Insight, > 60MPG!
Old 05-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I agree it sounds werid to have a leak on the low side. Maybe the o-ring got nicked the last time it was apart? I have never done any a/c work myself and I had it changed over R134 the last time it leaked.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:38 PM

Re: A/C Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by 97LSi004
In my 97, the A/C is leaking. I had it dye tested and the only leak that could be found is on the LOW side of the compressor. Meaning, its just a bad oring? I have read that it is uncommon on the low side because of the low pressure. Anyone else have hidden A/C problems with a 97?
Also can i replace this o-ring myself to see if that fixes it? or will i cause more problems?
This is the first car i've had that i'm not just removing the a/c system and i dunno how to fix it lol
I can't say if a simple o-ring change will fix it as you didn't say they told you the leak was at the interface of the hose to compressor. If that's where it is, then yes you could change it easily. The problem is that if it's been leaking out, then humidity, etc has been leaking in. When you open the system to the atmosphere you will need to change the drier, then pump the system down and see if it holds a vacuum (usual test is for a half-hour hold), then finally pump back in the 134.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:55 PM

Where is the drier? Could i buy one from say, subaruparts.com, or is it somewhat generic?

My first Subaru, 1997 LSi #004 - SOLD!
Currently driving: 2002 Honda Insight, > 60MPG!
Old 05-25-2004, 06:16 PM

can't say on your car since I've never even seen the outside of a 97, but if it's like my 92, then it's in the right front part of the engine compartment. You can get from Subaru or most any car parts place, I got one from Advance Auto Parts (not sure if that's a national chain or not) and they had it in stock.