How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-04-2001, 04:55 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Transmission Line Pressure Testing

I tried to measure the line pressure and transfer case pressure today. I got a street elbow with an 1/8" npt and re-taped it to 10mm (1.0 pitch) this fits the thread connection on the transmission. I got the plug out the transfer case and hooked up the hose. Absolutely on flow or pressure at the end of the hose but that is what I expected since the RWD isn’t working.

The plug for the line pressure is up near the front of the transmission. It is right above fitting for the cooler flow and it is recessed into the transmission. The plug is a bolt and the head isn’t visible from under the car. The only way I could get at it was to get two 6" and a breaker bar used for length with a 10 mm socket through the wheel well. So the extension is about 14" long! When I took the plug out, transmission fluid started to flow immediately. I put the plug back in. There was no way I could have gotten a hose and gauge hooked up to this without being covered in fluid. I didn’t want to drain the fluid, attach the hose and gauge, fill the transmission, check the pressure, drain the transmission, remove the gauge, fill the transmission. So I gave it up.

Thought someone else may be interested in this.

From my experience today, I wonder if a dealer or re-builder ever checks this out after an install.