Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2003, 12:16 AM
92Blacknessvx

Only 2 whls spinnin on AWD?!?!?

Hi, I own a 92 SVX with 145k on it. I bought it only around 2 months ago, and plan on keeping it for a long time. I recently noticed that the real wheels just dont spin, only the front 2 do. I dont know whats wrong. im getting a blinkin power light thats giving me a code 11, but dont know if its related. When I raised the car, I noticed that the rear diff is COVERED, i mean COMPLETELY covered with 1/4 inch of grease...??? I dunno whats wrong, if anyone has ANY suggestions, please let me know. And please....im not VERY good with cars, but i am good, but still dont understand alot of terms, so please make it a.... "fixing AWD for idiots"....thanks!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 04:52 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Welcome to the SVX network and I hpoe you get car sorted out. Search around for how to read the transmission trouble codes. It's a good place to start and find out why the power light blinks.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:22 AM
92Blacknessvx

I DID...TURNS OUT THAT I GOT A CODE 11....WHICH IS A DUTY SELENOID A???? I DONT KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS...CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN IT TO ME IN IDIOT TERMS PLEEEASSEEE!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

First of all, drop the caps lock

OK, that's better. No shouting is required.

Looking at some of your other posts, it seems that you've got a number of problems. To address this one, you probably looked here:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/1698.htm

Code 11, as you've noted is duty solenoid A. It is used to control the engagement of the rear wheels on the SVX. From your description and the code, you are only sending power to the front wheels. The solenoid is bad and will need to be replaced. This may or may not be the only problem you are having. Bare minimum is that this solenoid will need to be replaced. It may also require more extensive transmission service, possibly the other duty solenoids (though you would be getting a code for those) and possibly the transfer clutch mechanism in the transmission.

Good luck,
Todd
Old 11-04-2003, 12:51 PM
92Blacknessvx

LOL...sorry...i wasnt shouting....anyway...how much and where can I find a selenoid A? And who could install it? And what about the transfer clutch mechanism...what is that and what does it do?
Old 11-04-2003, 03:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
Re: First of all, drop the caps lock

I hate to say it but I think duty solenoid A is not for the rear wheels. It is for transmission fluid pressure. Thats the code people get when they disconnect the resistor by the battery for faster shifts.
And I doubt a faulty solenoid could cause the entire rear diff to be covered in grease. I hate to say it, but I think your car is about to need some serious repairs. I lost my rear wheels once. The rear diff went. Cost like $2000. And I've had the code 11 too, but thats when I was installing a shiftkit from Smallcar which turns solenoid A off under hard acceleration.

Oh, and the solenoid is not nessecarly bad. It could be the resistor or any wiring inbetween.

Last edited by Wiz; 11-04-2003 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:12 PM
92Blacknessvx

You paid $2000 just for the rear diff??? Damn thats a lot....I had a guy offer me a rear diff from an SVX that had on 60k miles on it for 50 bucks....should I jump on it???
Old 11-04-2003, 10:35 PM
92Blacknessvx

Oh, and i was thinking about buying that shift kit from small car also...how is it working out for you so far???
Old 11-04-2003, 11:21 PM

Quote:
....I had a guy offer me a rear diff from an SVX that had on 60k miles on it for 50 bucks....should I jump on it???
Good price, but do you need a second rear diff?
Have you checked oil level in your diff? have you figured out where the grease on the outside has come from (are you sure it is not rust protection)?
Does the diff make whining noise when the car moves?

The SVX rear diffs are generally bulletproof. Besides it is not likely one could break down and remain quiet.

Choke front wheels, jack up rear end of the car (you can use rear diff itself as a lifting point), put the car on jack stands. Try spinning driveshaft manually and see whether the driveshaft is still connected with the rear wheels.
Or at least jack up one rear wheel and try spinning it - driveshaft should also turn, you should feel a fair bit of resistance (slow turning slow should work, fast spinning should not).

This is it, you can completely diagnose the rear diff without any tools.

Just remember the car is heavy and can jump from the jack - don't get yourself killed.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:38 AM
92Blacknessvx

will do...i will try that...did you ask because you have a 2nd diff for sale??? anyway...i have a friend that owns a garage so dont worry bout that...
Old 11-05-2003, 04:57 AM

I can't help you with the rear diff.
Solenoid "A" is for the line pressure and should have no effect on the RWD.
If the RWD is not working because of the transmission then the problem is in the transfer housing. This is where the transfer clutches are located. There is a plug on the housing that can be removed to measure the transfer pressure. If the transfer pressure is low the transfer valve is most likely bad. If the pressure is good then the transfer clutches are shot or the rear diff is bad.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
Quote:
Originally posted by 92Blacknessvx
You paid $2000 just for the rear diff??? Damn thats a lot....I had a guy offer me a rear diff from an SVX that had on 60k miles on it for 50 bucks....should I jump on it???
That $2000 was with labor. Clutches, berings went. Needed alot of work. Labor cost like around $1000. The parts were new Subaru parts. $700 for them. Then I had new tires put on. That was part of the $2000 as well. And the Visor was fixed. $144. I also had a transmission job (new synthetic fluids and a test) done and oil change (synthetic). It was actually around $2100. I was just rounding it off.

The shift kit works great. Although it caused the powerlight to flash. I fixed that by adding another resistor. I've attached the design I made for adding it. Oh, and the shift kit does not cause all cars to have the blinking light. It already has a resistor on it but some cars are more picky and need less resistance.
Attached Images
File Type: png design revised.png (3.1 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Wiz; 11-05-2003 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:49 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
spinning wheels

this might have a very simple explanation.
my friend noticed that my back wheels didnt spin (on ice) when i got it late december last year.
i kept telling yeah its awd. the thing is the amount of power going to the rear is far below the front. i dont know where your lookin, if its in the air then you have a bad problem. otherwise dont worry about it.

the stock jack works just fine for me, and ive used it in unison with a real lift-jack. get some jackstands rated at around 2 tons a piece you can lift the car.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:55 AM
nextcubepro

Re: spinning wheels

Quote:
Originally posted by NikFu S.
this might have a very simple explanation.
my friend noticed that my back wheels didnt spin (on ice) when i got it late december last year.
i kept telling yeah its awd. the thing is the amount of power going to the rear is far below the front. i dont know where your lookin, if its in the air then you have a bad problem. otherwise dont worry about it.

the stock jack works just fine for me, and ive used it in unison with a real lift-jack. get some jackstands rated at around 2 tons a piece you can lift the car.
Your rear wheels should spin along with the fronts, especially on ice. If your rear diff is in good working order, both rear wheels should be spinning on both sides, and if the fronts are spinning, the rears should most certainly do the same.

The SVX tranny has a transfer clutch that sends more power to the front or rear depending on which wheels have most traction. The rear diff on the SVX is a limited slip unit, so it should keep both rear wheels moving at equal speeds.

You have a bad transfer clutch or solenoid, as if neither of the rear wheels are spinning, they aren't getting any power from the tranny. Are you sure that not just one rear wheel was spinning? That would mean you have a bad rear diff...it's not performing its viscous coupling.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:26 AM

Re: Re: spinning wheels

Quote:
Originally posted by nextcubepro
.........................The SVX tranny has a transfer clutch that sends more power to the front or rear depending on which wheels have most traction. ..........................
The SVX USA auto transmission can only split the f/r power at 50/50. This means that there will never be more power to the rear wheels unless you take out your front AXLES. This is also true for most USA Subaru's except the newer ah ah WRX 5spd (I'm not sure) and WRX Sti for sure. Maybe some of the newer auto models but I don't know cause I haven't kept up with the changes. Anyway...... It is common for most people to thing the rears wheels will get all the power if the front wheels slip but it just doesn't happen on most models.