How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2003, 07:34 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Porter
Also, just to throw a figure into the mix...

A *BRAND NEW* remanufactured SVX transmission costs about $3100 from Subaru of America. Installation including materials should cost about $450.

Don't let the bastards get you down!

Not in Evansville, Indiana, Porter. Had that been the case, I'd have had one when the first one went down. As many here know, I had repair priced at the Subaru Dealership in Evansville. They quoted me 4,600.00 and told me that INCLUDED the 1,200.00 core allowance. Now you know why I went the rebuild route. Plus, they said it was going to take 10 days to get the tranny in -- I was scheduled to leave for the Vermont and Snowshoe meets in a week. Even though I'd checked around the country and everyone else in the free world (Including Hawaii) were charging from 27 - 3,500.00, Evansville Indiana insisted the 4,600.00 was their bottom line. SOA was no help. I complained to them and they said, "Our dealers are independents. We have nothing to do with their pricing."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-13-2003, 08:04 PM
Porter

JESUS.

A brand new, *NOT* remanufactured tranny costs $3800. That's a factory production piece, theoretically as good as it gets.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
JESUS.

A brand new, *NOT* remanufactured tranny costs $3800. That's a factory production piece, theoretically as good as it gets.
Oh, and I didn't mention that this was in the year 2000. Looks like, however, subaruparts.com has risen to meet that price.

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=150-A
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-14-2003, 06:27 AM
Porter

Strange. We just got a reman one for a customer last week for $3200.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:32 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Strange. We just got a reman one for a customer last week for $3200.
Well, if things get too crazy, I'll "limp" to Hot-Lanta and let you do the work.

Luckily, my sister lives near Atlanta, so, I'll have somewhere cheap (free) to stay.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-14-2003, 05:56 PM
01kickerlaidsvx

wow and I thought

my tranny problems were a nightmare...damn...smoke_svx from ft.worth, texas had his tranny upgraded (rebuilt)and is lucky that the shop he chose was a true transmission master craftsmen.he shelled out just over $5,000 for his.I didn't have that kind of money but he got what he paid for cause his tranny is the only thing still untouched/ or undamaged in the thing..mine on the other hand has been " rebuilt" twice and I said the hell with it it's time for the conversion...I was hoping RacerX had a contract with smallcars.com or motorsportwarehouse so I wouldn't have to pay the full cost myself but not yet...so...hang in there and figure out what is the goal,then chooose your path to obtaining that goal then just don't stop till u get there but b realistic along the way or else.....
Old 10-14-2003, 11:25 PM

Registered SVX
Day 9. Still no word.

Maybe they ordered their parts from Subaruparts.com at the same time I ordered my P/S cooler. Estimated delivery date Tomorrow, about 7 days after I ordered it. I realize there was a weekend and a holiday in there, but, dang! I'd be ashamed if I had a name like Airborne Express and it took me that long to deliver anything.

Meanwhile, I'm beginning to lose faith in the automotive repair industry altogether. It really shouldn't take this long to pull a tranny, reseal it and reinstall it. "The Book" says 10 hours. I would consider that a "worse case scenario."
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-15-2003, 12:43 AM

Registered SVX
Just send it way, way, way, down south where there are real mechanics and no bloody techs.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-16-2003, 03:30 PM
mark10t

My sympathies, Randy.

I've been chasing PS/ATF 'demons' as well lately. I noticed a 'red fluid' leak several weeks ago around the area of the PS pump. Hoping it was as simple as an 'O'-ring fix, I figured I could risk the 95 cents and an hour of time to do the swap. Hoping for the best, but unfortunately, the leak is back. I suspect it is a very small pinhole leak in the high-pressure PS hose, so I got one in from subaruparts.com. At least they only charge about 70 bucks for the hose. I'm going to replace the hose in the next few days along with the right side knock sensor (also ordered from subaruparts.com- about $38.) (Any help on the exact location of the sensor?)

Later on- when I get to it- I've got to install the new struts I got from 'you-know-who'. (They've gone up- they're now $98. ea. for all 4 positions) Hopefully, my '94 will ride a little nicer then. I figured at 125,000+ mi's. it's due. Besides- one of my Nitto NT450's has been wearing premature on the inside. Looks like it's been out of balance or bouncing because of a weak strut.

Good Luck to both of us.

-Mark
Old 10-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Try taking off the hose, and retightening it. It worked for me. I think. It was either that or the really nice premium power steering NO LEAK 5 dollar a bottle stuff. Either way, it no longer leaks.

- Rob
Old 10-16-2003, 04:45 PM

Registered SVX
Day 10.

Got a call this morning. The car's ready. I'll pick it up in the morning.

Got the P/S cooler in yesterday. Has new hoses and clamps. Cool. Will (hopefully) install this weekend. If not, at least I've got another to drive to Louisville for a conference I'll be attending Mon and Tues.

I'll let y'all know what the "final damages" are.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-16-2003, 06:41 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Good to hear the news. Once it's driving, and everything works, the "damage" becomes irrelevant.

Best of luck,

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-16-2003, 09:09 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Good to hear the news. Once it's driving, and everything works, the "damage" becomes irrelevant.

Best of luck,

Joe
Agreed. Obviously, I'm going to have to drive her to work tomorrow and check the quality of the repair.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-17-2003, 09:19 AM

Registered SVX
Day 11,

Picked her up today. I'd forgotten how smooth and quiet a stock SVX is. I noticed a big difference in the "glide" properties of the stock compared with the stiff Konis (even set on the softer setting). The KC exhaust in the "evil twin" is much meaner when compared to the graveyard quiet stock set-up. The tranny in ET (A suby reman) shifts much harsher than the independent re-build I have in "patience." Perhaps it was the 90 wt. that helped that along. Maybe I'll put sime in ET.

So, I drive to work this morning (50 miles with the additional miles into Owensboro to the shop), pop the hood, check the front diff stick -- there's still grease in there, so, I guess the problem is solved. The bill looked like a zoo exhibit -- SEALS everwhere.

Basically that was apparently all that was wrong. A bad seal, or a seal that may have gotten pinched in the re-install -- I didn't get to talk to the tech to get his impressions.

Total for R&R with seal/fluid replacement: $716.67. Now, I'll pray nothing else goes wrong.

I do have some exhaust issues (minor) that I'll have looked at tomorrow, and am thinking about haveing the Muffler & Brake shop install the Drilled/Slotted rotors I've had for over a year + pads. The reason: I'm still hearing that "scrubbing" sound. The tranny tech said he didn't hear it from the front diff (which I had heard with my own ears), but heard a rear brake scrubbing.

Once all this is done, I need to have some clearcoat issues tackled. The panel under the LR window is shedding clearcoat as well as the spoiler. Once I have that taken care of, the exterior will be pristine.

Thanks to Harry Newman, I have a console to replace mine with. Seems the door to rear padded portion became mismatched along the way and it tore the vinyl on the rear padded portion. Once that's replaced, the interior will be near perfect.

Gosh, I forgot how exciting having a near flawless SVX could be.

Mark,
It's good to see you back in the fray. I was going to scan the position of the knock sensor for you last night, but I had "strategically" left my manuals in the car that was being repaired. If you still need that info, I'll scan it for you tonight.

Also, I apparently drove past you when I went from Minneapolis to Des Moines during the last week in August. Wish I'd've known.

At lunch, I'm taking "Patience" for a well-deserved bath.

Thanks, all, for listening to my drivel and living yet another chapter in my tranny turmoil.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-17-2003, 09:31 AM
Hater

glad to hear its coming along well. what will you do when everything is fixed? have a life?!?!?
i was a slave to my cars for a while. my wife suggested i 'move out of the 80's and buy something newer.' that's how i got my SVX.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)