Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-01-2003, 08:43 PM
tracedog67

Arrow replacing front axle

Fellers,

Front right hand cv boot is torn at the wheel. I can get a reman unit for about $90. Is this a hard DIY job, will I have to deal with the wheel bearing if I take out the old axle? Or is there an easier fix for the torn rubber CV boot? I've always heard it is cheaper and easier just to replace the whole axle.

thanks for help

Tdog
Old 10-01-2003, 09:28 PM
ChrisR

I have the same problem. I have already got the axles, but when me and a buddy tried to attempt to fix them, we didnt' have the right tools. So, to add, Does anyone know the correct tools that are needed to install the front axles?
Old 10-01-2003, 10:54 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
First off, use the seach button. This has been discussed several times already. Read those threads, see if they answer your questions, and then come back here and I will help you. I've replaced both my front axles, so I can help, but will not until you use the search feature.

- Rob
Old 10-01-2003, 11:22 PM
ChrisR

I've used it about 3 times. I came up with some pretty good info, however, I couldn't find anywhere how big the axle nut is? I have seen 36, 34.
I think I will just have to take it to a shop and pay to have them replaced because I don't think I have the correct tools.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:32 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

>shrug<

Just take your wheel off. Pull the dust boot off and look at the nut. I believe its a 35.. maybe a 36. I don't remember. Anyway, get that socket, and the rest can be done with regular tools (except you need a hammer and a punch to get the pin outta the axle).

- Rob
Old 10-02-2003, 06:32 AM
tracedog67

replacing front axle

Do you have to address the wheel bearig issue or is that not necessary? Has anyone use a speedy boot kit to fix a torn boot instead of the whole axle?

thanks

Tdog
Old 10-02-2003, 06:59 AM
calmone

i'll admit i am personally ignorant about doing this yourself, but i have discussed with the mechanic the possibility of just redoing the boot. he advised that as the amount of labor isn't significant and the cost of a rebuilt axel isn't that much why just do the boot when you can get a rebuilt axel for really very little more and eliminate a potential future problem made sense to me.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:00 AM
wolf33h

Axle nut

The axle nut is a 32mm or 1 1/4".
Old 10-02-2003, 09:21 AM
wolf33h

Axle nut

I should also add: use a 6-sided socket...Sears has it for about $5. When you reinstall, the axle nut should be torqued between 123-152 ft-lbs, the end of the axle should be about 7/16" from the hub lip and the nut (preferably new) should be staked. Good luck.
wolf33h
PS. I have just replaced my rr wheel bearing, so have those numbers still fresh in mind!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:11 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

BTW, if your new axles don't come with new nuts, just swap the nut from one side to another, that way you can ping down a different side of it.

And yeah, it is 32mm. I remember now.

- Rob

PS: The biggest pain is that you have to put the seals from the old axle onto the new ones. They're not really seals, but more like metal little dust covers, that protect the bearings. And NO, you do not remove the wheelbearing,t he wheel bearing stays in the hub. You have to disconnect the hub from the lower control arm by disconnecting the ball joint, then you can swing the hub upward.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by calmone
i'll admit i am personally ignorant about doing this yourself, but i have discussed with the mechanic the possibility of just redoing the boot. he advised that as the amount of labor isn't significant and the cost of a rebuilt axel isn't that much why just do the boot when you can get a rebuilt axel for really very little more and eliminate a potential future problem made sense to me.
I would agree with your mechanic because we're talking about a front axle. I replaced just the boot on a rear axle on my SVX almost three years ago and the axle is still fine. The fronts get bent around more and the joints seem to take more abuse.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-02-2003, 12:05 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I would agree with your mechanic because we're talking about a front axle. I replaced just the boot on a rear axle on my SVX almost three years ago and the axle is still fine. The fronts get bent around more and the joints seem to take more abuse.
I would have to disagree. My front axles both have over 230K miles on them. I have had the boots replaced at least 4 or 5 times.

The shop removes the axles, removes the old boots, washes the old grease and debris out, repacks new grease, installs new boots, and reinstalls axles. They say it takes only about an hour to do the both front axles.

Total Charge is usually around $70, $40 for labor and $30 for new grease, boots and clamps.

PS: I've never had the rears replaced. They seem to be holding up fine.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 10-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Hrm. I disagree with your disagreement. You spent $70 dollars, and have done so more than once to get your boots replaced.

I spend 150 on each axle, that had an 80 dollar core charge. I took them back my old axles, and ended up paying $70 for each axle, clean, new grease, new boots, new everything, WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY.

- Rob
Old 10-03-2003, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
Hrm. I disagree with your disagreement. You spent $70 dollars, and have done so more than once to get your boots replaced.

I spend 150 on each axle, that had an 80 dollar core charge. I took them back my old axles, and ended up paying $70 for each axle, clean, new grease, new boots, new everything, WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY.

- Rob
I'd rather have the originals than rebuilt units.

Just my personal preference.

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 10-03-2003, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

I'd rather have the originals than rebuilt units. Plus for my seventy dollars, I didn't have to lift a finger. My time is better spent working on my five speed project.

Just my personal preference.

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker