Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-28-2003, 06:47 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
First ticket

Got my first ticket tonight on the way to school. 42 in a 25. I didn't realize the limit was 25 where I got pulled over, I thought it was a 40. DMV online lists it as 4 points My court date is Oct 16 at 6pm if I choose to plead not guilty. On the front of the ticket it is listed as statute 39:4-98, which is the general speeding listing on the back. Online however the official statute for 15-19 over is 39:4-99, think that'll do me any good in court? Think I should fight it and try to loose the points atleast?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 09-28-2003, 07:15 PM
ww111

Plead your case to the DA first. Write a letter dripping with regret and pointing out that you don't have any points and you'd like to keep it that way. I've got a friend here that did that and it was "reduced" to a noisy muffler. No points but still a fine (revenue). I fought a "Driving on the Shoulder" ticked that way and won outright.

Collins
92 Pearlie
Old 09-28-2003, 08:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
NJ is very forgiving DEPENDING ON your situation.

Me personally - my license is TRASHED. I got caught for doing 86 in a 65MPH zone.........wound up getting it reduced to a 2-point ticket and a $100 fine. The judge was pretty nice.

Whatever you do DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT plead guilty. Plead not guilty and when you go to court you WILL be able to talk to the prosecutor. When you talk to him he will be able to help you out with a reduction. I'm sure you will not get it as bad as you think.

Good luck.......hopefully the judge is cool. What district?

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 09-28-2003, 10:06 PM
No longer blue member

It's from the borough of Pennington in Mercer County. I will try writing the letter, what exactly is the DA? My parents told me to just accept it and pay, but those points would kill my insurance. Actually I don't know if I'd even be able to afford the insurance.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 09-29-2003, 06:55 AM
ww111

the District Attorney, He'll be prosecuting you. In my short and hopefully one time experience... If you don't try BS, He'll be more than fair. Especially on a first time ticket.

Collins
Old 09-29-2003, 07:07 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Steve,

Sorry to hear that. I haven't had any tickets in a long time so I am not much help here. Other than watch the speed limit signs and maybe, if you haven't done this, go back and check on the signs.

John

PS At least the officer couldn't wonder about the mouse in your engine.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:13 AM
ww111

As for your parents. Yes you did wrong and should be punished. , but you're not really fighting the ticket as much as pleading for lieniency (sp?) IT IS WORTH IT, a couple of stamps and maybe a court date to avoud points that will be there for 3 years or so. in the long run it could save you loads of money.

Collins
Old 09-29-2003, 01:38 PM

Steve, go to court and you are likely to get off if the officer does not show up, or get a reduced fine/points. The DA usually tries to plea bargain down to a lesser violation. A few months ago I got pulled over for speeding but the charge was decreased to a no point violation. Good luck.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:00 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Uhhh... who cares. You still have 8 points left, right? I have 4 left right now...

- Rob
Old 09-29-2003, 02:06 PM
Got Dirt?

What the heck are points? Is that some state specific thing or do I not know because I've never had a ticket?
1992 SVX LS-L (#645 - 04/91) 164K miles - sold.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:19 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
Uhhh... who cares. You still have 8 points left, right? I have 4 left right now...

- Rob
Yeah what do you care it's not your driving record.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Superbeast

I still don't know about the points either but I think I was pretty close to getting the maximum amount, I got a warning letter in the mail. My trick is to alternate, I drive alot in R.I. and C.T. and fortunatlly they don't seem to share information, somehow I'v had tickets weeks apart and the other state didn't know about the one in the other. ( exept for the time I had to go to court in R.I. two days in a row, I told the judge I had a pretty good driving record and he let me off the first day, the next day I just walked up and smiled at him and he told me to go pay the ticket.

The only time i'v ever got to talk to the DA before court was in C.T., when I was clocked doing 45 in a 45 by cops sitting at the 35 sign. The bastards were just standing on the side of the road pointing at cars to pull over and giving them tickets for exeading a speed limit they haven't even entered yet. I got off on that one but I wonder how many suckers just payed it?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:01 PM

Re: First ticket

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
Got my first ticket tonight on the way to school. 42 in a 25. I didn't realize the limit was 25 where I got pulled over, I thought it was a 40. DMV online lists it as 4 points My court date is Oct 16 at 6pm if I choose to plead not guilty. On the front of the ticket it is listed as statute 39:4-98, which is the general speeding listing on the back. Online however the official statute for 15-19 over is 39:4-99, think that'll do me any good in court? Think I should fight it and try to loose the points atleast?
is 4-98 for a less or greater amount of speeding, or is it for some other moving infraction?

Based on advice given to me by a practicing attorney, I would suggest to anyone to never plead guilty to anything unless a judge or DA has offered you something in return. Plead no contest. Some states take the same amount of $$$, but put no points on the record. With the wrong statute listed it may help your cause.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:14 PM
No longer blue member

Well

On the back of the ticket 4-98 is the statute listed for all speeding infractions. Online however 4-98 is listed as 1-14 mph over and 4-99 is listed for 15-19 over.

P.S. What exactly does pleading "no contest" mean? I have never heard this term before.

01' MSM Lexus IS300

Last edited by SubaSteevo; 09-29-2003 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:58 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by rally
What the heck are points? Is that some state specific thing or do I not know because I've never had a ticket?
It's some STUPID system some states adapted. This way, instead of doing things that actually prevent accidents, for instance pulling over inattentive drivers, people yapping on cell phones, or people who don't use signals, they can instead focus on revenue generating speeders. You have TWELVE points if you don't have any tickets. An average ticket is going to be 3-4 points (negative points). However, here's the catch. You get your points back, sort of. You cannot lose 12 points in any 1 year period. EX: I get a 4 point ticket on jan 5th, a 4 point in Feb, and a 3 pt in March. All good if I don't get any until AFTER Jan 5th.... because as long as I make it until then, I don't have 12 points taken away in any 1 year period.

its incredibly retarded.

- Rob