How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-05-2003, 02:13 PM
sgabbard

5 Speed Conversion and Other Stuff

New owner here. I've just bought a '92 with a new tranny in it. I plan to put a cooler on it ASAP, and of course have the rear bearings replaced (as they are singing in harmony). My questions (be gentle):

1) 5 Speed Conversion: Does the kit that's offered by some vendors (using a WRX tranny as I recall) resolve notorious SVX problems, or is constant care still required?

2) It's not that I dont' trust other mechanics, I just don't trust most mechanics. As far as repair manuals for the SVX, what is there to chose from for the home mechanic? Are Subaru shop manuals highly desired and made of gold? How's the CD?

3) BMW gear head here. 1st thing done to a Bemmer is put Redline MTL in the tranny. Is Redline ATF accepted as the best fluid for these, along with a cooler to prevent bad and expensive things from happening? Does shaking a chicken foot over the shifter help? Is there a God or diva I should pray to?

4) I've noticed drilled and slotted rotors for sale. Does this resolve warping issues, or just put it off a little longer?

5) Any upcoming gatherings?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:26 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
1) As long as you don't abuse the 5MT, it will hold up fine.

2) Don't know. I've used Chiltons for all my SVX work. Its ok, but I would guess there is more detail in the shop manual.

3) Redline ATF should help by virtue of its ability to withstand higher temps before breaking down.

4) Depending on your usage, slotted/drilled can crack. Many people have used them without any problems, but there is a least one guy who track races his SVX that has cracked slotted/drilled rotors. IMHO, the way to stop the warping is to install better pads. My brakes have worked beautifully since upgrading to aftermarket pads.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: 5 Speed Conversion and Other Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by sgabbard
5) Any upcoming gatherings?
I'm hoping you've seen the "Upcoming meets" section of this site.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:17 AM
Boring Member

Re: 5 Speed Conversion and Other Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by sgabbard

2) It's not that I dont' trust other mechanics, I just don't trust most mechanics. As far as repair manuals for the SVX, what is there to chose from for the home mechanic? Are Subaru shop manuals highly desired and made of gold? How's the CD?
I got a complete set of manuals for my 94 (92 books plus 94 revisions) from www.subaruparts.com for around $200. The 92 set is $172.67. Well worth the money if you plan on keeping it and doing any work on it yourself. I have heard that the CD manual isn't that great. I also got an alldata (www.alldata.com)subscription back before I got the real manuals, and it didn't seem too bad for the price.

I also have slotted/drilled rotors with ceramic pads, and I'm quite pleased with them after about a month of use.