How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2003, 10:24 AM

Steering wheel switch assembly

Hi, my "air bag" light comes on when I make a complete turn of the steering wheel. (like all the way in either direction) The dealer told me is was the senor which is located in side the switch assembly (the assemble is the whole works, wiper switch, lights etc) he said it's like a tape measure going in and out as you turn the wheel. I didn't like the price for a new one, over $700.00 cdn plus labour. So, I checked here and found someone with one for sale from his parting out of a SVX. ($150.00usd) He's got the money from me but he's having a problem removing it from the car. Is there some trick to getting it out? Does someone have instructions for removing it? Thanks in advance, regards dave
Old 05-23-2003, 02:10 PM

Well I guess I'll answer my own question. Went to the deal yesterday and talked to the mechanic. This is more involved than I thought.

First remove the airbag, then the steering wheel. Be sure that before you start that the wheels are centred pointing straight ahead. Now, before you go any further you MUST "lock" the switch assembly. He showed my a little plastic piece that comes on new assemblys that slides over two plastic tabs and it locks the assembly, he said you could use tape to stop it from moving. If you don't do this when removing the assembly it will be useless as without knowing the centre position you would break the ribbon cable inside when you turned the steering wheel if it was not centred. Once you've done this, you can safely remove the part. The last thing you do on the install is remove the lock and your done, regards dave