SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2003, 07:02 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Angry Legacy won't start

My wife's Legacy is experiencing some problems. The first symptom occurred some time last week, when the CE light came on. Sometimes it stays on for an entire drive, sometimes it just comes on briefly. Since the car has been running fine, with no other symptoms, I didn't consider it an emergency.

Yesterday morning, as my wife got i nthe car to leave, it sounded sort of rough when she started it. She put the car in reverse, let off the brake to back up, and it stalled.

Then last night she called me from the grocery store. She had just run in for a few minutes to pick up a couple of things and the car wouldn't start. It turned over and over and over, but didn't fire. Eventualy, she said she gave it some gas and it started, but roughly.

So last night when I got home I took the car for a drive. It started right up for me, and I took it out for a couple miles. When I got home, I shut the car off, waited about ten seconds, and tried to start it. Sure enough, it wouldn't. I didn't press the issue with the car - it was very late and I didn't want to wake the neighbors.

This morning, the car sounded rough again when she started it. It didn't stall when she backed up, but it did hesitate some then and when she put it in drive to leave. I could see that the car hesitated and lurched before it finally got moving.

Any ideas? I picked up an OBD-II scanner this morning before work, but if this is familiar to anybody, let me know. Thanks.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-20-2003, 08:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to gotsubarus
If it is the 95... it might be the crank sensor. Call the subaru place with you vin# and see if they have a recall on it. I have had several with recalls.

Next time it wont start and you have someone with you pull one of the sparkplug wires out about half an inch... have them crank it and see if you are getting fire. If not then get a crank sensor.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:40 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I'm with gotsubarus, I had to replace the crank sensor in my wife's 96 OBS it was only $18 from Liberty Subaru.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-20-2003, 11:45 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by huck369
I'm with gotsubarus, I had to replace the crank sensor in my wife's 96 OBS it was only $18 from Liberty Subaru.
And did your car have similar symptoms? And are the sensors identical to the SVX's? Like, could I take the SVX's sensors out and put them in the Legacy for the time being?

I don't mind the SVX being out of commission for a little while - it's got that weird vibration when I put it in reverse anyway.

Does the Legacy use two crank position sensors like the SVX? If so, should I just order both? What's Liberty Subaru's number and who should I talk to there?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 05-20-2003 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:33 PM

I recall only one sensor on my 95 Legacy.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:41 PM

Registered SVX
I called the local parts store (the same place I bought the OBD-II scanner this morning) and guess what? They can get crank position sensors for my Legacy! Weird!

Even more weird than that, they want $80 for them. Ow. I guess I'll call Liberty.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
only one crank sensor, but there is also a cam position sensor, which I believe is the same part...
The SVX crank posiition sensor is a little different...and cost $150

Liberty's number is 201-261-0900, I don't tal to anyone special, just tell them you're an internet customer to get the discount.

I also checked local parts places, and got the same results, they can get it, but much higher than the Dealer.

Our OBS had pretty much the same symptoms, but I could get out and wigle the connector for the Crank sensor (right under the alternator) and it'd start right up.

Once it was doing it pretty regular I bought a new sensor and it hasn't done it since.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-21-2003, 01:38 PM

Registered SVX
Stupidstupidstupid...

Well, I tried out my scanner last night. It told me that the ECU had recorded three codes. They were all surprising to me, so I figured I'd erase them and see what it came back with after a drive.

That was dumb.

I forgot that the malfunction has to occur at least a few times for it to be recorded by the ECU as a fault. I didn't think to write down the codes. Wait, it gets better.

I couldn't just take a few 5-mile trips, stopping at home and shutting the car off in between because, if you remember, the car won't start after I park it.

<sigh>

I did get one code almost right away - 'P0115 - Engine coolant temperature circuit.' My suspicion is that this fault is a pretty consistent problem and the reason for the CE light's consistency (always on). I took Amber to school this morning and drove her car in to work. When I got to the parking garage, I checked the codes. I wrote down the code number, but not the description, because I have this handy little book with all the codes and their descriptions.

Well, guess what? P0125 isn't in the book. Bastards. What's the point of having a separate book with the machine that lists only some of the codes? I mean, the screen on the reader tells you the number and the description - why bother shipping it with a partial list of codes in three languages?

So, I have no idea what that code was. I could swear it said something about fuel and coolant temperature.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-21-2003, 09:21 PM

Registered SVX
Well, I was right - the code came back. And then it went away again. Weird.

Anyway, I didn't write it down. Again. Well, come on - I didn't really expect it to go away. I thought it retained the codes in memory until you cleared them.

So the fault read something like this:

Closed fuel circuit insufficient coolant temperature.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? I have no idea what it means.

Thanks.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-22-2003, 06:08 AM

Could your coolant temperature sensor be faulty and causing the EFI to provide the wrong fuel/air mixture for the temperature of the engine?

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:31 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mattski
Could your coolant temperature sensor be faulty and causing the EFI to provide the wrong fuel/air mixture for the temperature of the engine?

Matt
That sounds pretty good. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-22-2003, 07:02 AM

Did you call Subaru and run your VIN to see if there is a recall on your crank sensor?

If you need you can PM me your VIN and i will check it for you.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:21 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by gotsubarus
Did you call Subaru and run your VIN to see if there is a recall on your crank sensor?

If you need you can PM me your VIN and i will check it for you.
Actually, I didn't. I'll PM you the VIN right now.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-23-2003, 07:13 AM

Ran the VIN

Ok ran the VIN......

It say that everything has been done youve had alternator changed , the Cam and Crank Sensor replaced , and the Tow hooks cut off.

I still am leaning towards the Crank Sensor
Old 05-24-2003, 07:44 AM
red95svx

The most common CE light trigger on the Legacy is the coolant temp sensor. We replace at least 2 or 3 everday at our shop. The sensor will cost you about $22.00 (#22630AA041). This sensor is largely responsible for most Legacy hard start conditions.

If it is a cam/crank sensor, you're in luck. Because of the recall both sensors are dirt cheap (about $20.00 a piece). So even if your car wasn't part of the recall it won't cost you much to buy the updated sensors (and Huck was right...the SVX sensors are different, and 10 times the price).

It really doesn't sound like the cam/crank sensors though. From what I've seen, when they go the car won't start at all.

Dave

ps- The cam and crank sensors are different. One is larger than the other (to prevent the sensors being installed wrong maybe?)

Last edited by red95svx; 05-24-2003 at 07:54 AM.