Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Just dip a toe!

Registered SVX
Re: Subaru has an SVX at the Philly Auto show.

I guy from our local Subaru forum also went to the auto show and took some pics. I wish he would have posted more of the SVX and XT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruNation
Hey Guys,

I Went to the Philly auto show recently, It was pretty sweet except they were out of lanyards...

Wanted to share so enjoy!

This one's for Pat

There's no turbo..

Old 02-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Pointless Conversion junky

There aren't even plans to add a turbo...

The BRZ was meant to compete with Rx8's and other 2-door RWD performance cars....which all do 50+HP more than the BRZ at least

I have an xt6 that will be more powerful and probably much more fun to drive by the time I finish it this summer....Although, my build is going to come in at about 7k$ including the car....How much is the BRZ again?

I was really excited when I heard about this project about a year ago or so.....but from everything I've read/understood about the car, I'm just feeling let down...
Old 02-24-2012, 04:22 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke-a-doobaru View Post
There aren't even plans to add a turbo...

The BRZ was meant to compete with Rx8's and other 2-door RWD performance cars....which all do 50+HP more than the BRZ at least

I have an xt6 that will be more powerful and probably much more fun to drive by the time I finish it this summer....Although, my build is going to come in at about 7k$ including the car....How much is the BRZ again?

I was really excited when I heard about this project about a year ago or so.....but from everything I've read/understood about the car, I'm just feeling let down...
I can't understand why everyone is so down on the BRZ. People really seem to not understand the type of car it is. It is really less like a RX-8 or 350/370z and more like a Miata or Porsche Boxster/Cayman.

It is a total purists car... no turbo (read smooth consistent power delivery)... small (read like a Miata - not like a RX-8). It has an astonishingly low engine placement... It's a low, small, and light car. It's not always about power... What's not to like?

And, I'm sorry, a 23 year old AWD drive car (based on a FWD layout) is not going to compare to this car.

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 02-24-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
I can't understand why everyone is so down on the BRZ. People really seem to not understand the type of car it is. It is really less like a RX-8 or 350/370z and more like a Miata or Porsche Boxster/Cayanne.

It is a total purists car... no turbo (read smooth consistent power delivery)... small (read like a Miata - not like a RX-8). It has an astonishingly low engine placement... It's a low, small, and light car. It's not always about power... What's not to like?

And, I'm sorry, a 23 year old AWD drive car (based on a FWD layout) is not going to compare to this car.
Well said.
2001 Audi S8
Old 02-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

EDIT: I don't want to disease another thread with BRZ talk. Out!

Last edited by LetItSnow; 02-24-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:02 AM

Registered SVX

Nice car .I like 2 door cars , I like the standard tran , I dislike the rear wheel drive ( to me it is not a Subaru) Not always about POWER. In my neighborhood rear wheel drive is a summer only car ( although this year no snow ) I cant afford another summer only vehicle ( 3 motorcycles are occupieing a lot of real estate ) taxes, insurance, etc. only can drive one at a time< LOL>.
Still nice car.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Handling. Handling. Handling. Handling.

The interstate is the last place you will enjoy a BRZ. The car is intended for bends and bumps and drivers who like to push the envelope driving quickly, safely and firmly through such conditions. It's more a rally car than a quarter miler.

Think of it as a Lotus Elan with a smooth power rise (like blatt says), RWD and more firm weight.

Anyway, I haven't driven it, who am I to judge
I'm ready to f...
Old 02-25-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I can't understand why everyone is so down on the BRZ. People really seem to not understand the type of car it is. It is really less like a RX-8 or 350/370z and more like a Miata or Porsche Boxster/Cayman.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like the car itself. It seems like it's quite capable, and I would imagine that it will be really fun to drive. It also looks REALLY sleek. It just isn't the car it could have been. That's my only issue with it. It also surprised me that Subaru isn't marketing an AWD variant....Subaru also has certain STI transmissions that allow you to choose torque distribution...

As I said, it just isn't the car it could/should have been.

But as stated above, enough BRZ talk

1988 xt6 - EZ30DR swap in progress.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:03 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Subaru also has certain STI transmissions that allow you to choose torque distribution...
That is not how that works (at least not the way you wrote it). DCCD just lets you change the lock-up characteristics, not the front-to-rear torque bias. Common misconception.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-25-2012, 03:08 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for straightening that out .the dealer told me you could adjust it . Like to almost RWD to FWD and everything in between . 90/10 ,50/50 ,60/40 , 10/90 . You say you can control lock up , how so? Example....
Old 02-25-2012, 03:29 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
That is not how that works (at least not the way you wrote it). DCCD just lets you change the lock-up characteristics, not the front-to-rear torque bias. Common misconception.
Correct... I owned a 2006 STi for 5 years. The controller worked either in auto or manual from full lock (like a 4x4 truck) to near open. Really applicable if you are on snow, gravel, tarmac or anything in between.

In the auto setting it really allowed the STi to hunker down in the corners and track through turns by adjusting the lock characteristics on the fly through the turns.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:34 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
It just isn't the car it could have been. That's my only issue with it. It also surprised me that Subaru isn't marketing an AWD variant....Subaru also has certain STI transmissions that allow you to choose torque distribution...

As I said, it just isn't the car it could/should have been.
Not sure of we should start a new thread. BUT... Last BRZ comment...

If you have a close look at the layout of the BRZ there is no way to have an AWD version of the car. The engine sits right where the front diff would be on a traditional Subaru. It sits right between and slightly aft of the front wheels. So no go unless there is some major reworking done.

Also see the note on STi DCCD controller.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
Thanks for straightening that out .the dealer told me you could adjust it . Like to almost RWD to FWD and everything in between . 90/10 ,50/50 ,60/40 , 10/90 . You say you can control lock up , how so? Example....
As icingdeath88 said, I wrote it wrong....but from what I've understood, it amounts to a fairly similar result.(Definitely correct me if I'm wrong, I'm by no means an expert)

The DCCD system is essentially a type of limited slip differential. LSDs (Very basically) act to bring driveshafts to the same speed (and in some ways distribute torque) by "equaling"(using a locking mechanism) the torque/speed difference between the front and rear wheels.

From what I've understood, the DCCD acts to change the "lock up" settings to different parameters, which can change the car's layout.
Have I gotten this right??

Also, very sorry for de-railing the thread....did not mean to do so.

1988 xt6 - EZ30DR swap in progress.

Last edited by smoke-a-doobaru; 02-25-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
No as the clutch is applied, it does change the torque bias front to rear. The operation of the AWD, is the same as the VTD. The Automatic clutch action is taken over by a Driver Controlled Pot, in the DCCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
Yes the torque distribution can change from 0/100 to 100/0. With the clutch off, the front or rear wheels can spin, depending on the grip, at the time.

Quote:
Correct... I owned a 2006 STi for 5 years. The controller worked either in auto or manual from full lock (like a 4x4 truck) to near open. Really applicable if you are on snow, gravel, tarmac or anything in between.

In the auto setting it really allowed the STi to hunker down in the corners and track through turns by adjusting the lock characteristics on the fly through the turns.
Yes it does that, but not for that reason. The clutch is not altered during turning. The torque changes between the front and rear, due to the difference in wheel speed front to rear. As the front wheels have to turn faster, so they must have the lowest gearing, hence more torque is moved to the front.

Quote:
=smoke-a-doobaru;697900]As icingdeath88 said, I wrote it wrong....but from what I've understood, it amounts to a fairly similar result.(Definitely correct me if I'm wrong, I'm by no means an expert)

The DCCD system is essentially a type of limited slip differential. LSDs (Very basically) act to bring driveshafts to the same speed (and in some ways distribute torque) by "equaling"(using a locking mechanism) the torque/speed difference between the front and rear wheels.

Have I gotten this right??
Almost, the differential has different size pinions and sun wheels front and rear, to cause a difference torque to be sent to each end. The Liminted Slip Clutch spans the two outputs. As the clutch is partially applied it will add torque from the high end and apply it to the low end. If it is fully applied, it will bring the torque to the same, at both ends.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.