Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-25-2002, 07:35 AM
hotshoe50

2002RS auto into my SVX

Hello fellow SVX ers

I am going to swap the very low mileage auto from an Impreza RS into my svx including the rear diff, driveshaft (if the svx one wont work) and torque converter/flex plate.

Two questions I might need help with:

1) will the svx electronic switch attach to the imprezaRs plug?
and is it necessary?

2) can someone recommend a specific trans cooler or installation article because it seems the right time to install one: should this help preserve the box?

3) I understand Subaru introduced a new upgraded torque converter at the end of the model run: are these available for a reasonable price: anybody had any experience with retrofitting this unit?

Thanks for all the help so far
Richard
Old 10-25-2002, 08:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Richard,

I can help you a little with two of your questions. Well, specifically one. :P

I recommend a transmission cooler from B&M. I installed one rated for 19,000 gross vehicle weight, and it was still pretty small. It has multiple fluid paths in case it gets clogged and cold fluid will pass through it easily. Like others before me, I installed mine in front of the air conditioning condenser. I disconnected the stock cooler completely. Putting the B&M cooler in front of the condenser takes a little doing as you have to remove the grille, all four light pods and the front bumper cover, but I think it's the best place for it.

Now, I had some transmission troubles shortly after installing the cooler. It really wasn't the cooler's fault - the tranny had 132k on it. I took it to the dealer and they disconnected the cooler I installed. According to them, the AC condenser gets really hot and would only heat up the ATF. I think that's hogwash - the stock cooler is attached to the radiator, which I expect gets much hotter. But, still, I thought you should hear their story, as well.

As for the torque converter, I have never heard of a different one being offered for the last year of SVX production (1997). As far as I know, the torque converter isn't a problem in the SVX anyway. The transmission itself has the minor issues that give it the bad name.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-25-2002, 05:28 PM
I_Alcyone_I

Please tell me what the price on this is going to be. That seems like it might be a very good option to replacing the SVX Tranny, if the price is low enough.