How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-18-2002, 06:29 PM

Beav - Hub Tamer question

Beav,

Base auto hobby shop has the Hub Tamer tool set, but of course none of the guys have ever done a Subaru rear wheel bearing.

I know this is asking a lot, but could you step through the process? I will have a couple of pretty good mechanics helping so maybe just the highlights of what has to come off and how the tool gets used if it's not obvious - they have used the tool for FWD bearings.

If you don't come down to visit your folks soon I won't be able to afford the number of drinks I owe you.
Old 10-19-2002, 10:23 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
It's pretty much a basic 'as illustrated' task. Remove the tire and wheel, the axle nut, caliper and rotor. I don't recall how the knuckle is attached to the lower arm but take that loose in order to remove the axle from the hub. Once the axle is out of the hub just follow the directions in the hub tamer box. You'll probably need to persuade the dust shield a bit to get the press bracket into place, but that's a common situation for many cars.

The only snag I ran into on Randy's was the ABS sensor was corroded in the knuckle. It has to be removed or at least moved out a fraction to allow clearance for the tool. PB Blaster, some patience, some more patience, a little twisting back and forth and yet some more patience finally gave me the clearance I needed. You'll want to take your time with the sensor, it's around $100. Once you have that clearance you should be done in around thirty minutes. Remember to wipe out the packing grease and use a good hi-temp wheel bearing grease to re-pack the bearing. Once you see the ridiculously small size of the rollers you'll understand the reason for their high failure rate. Make sure that the grease and bearing is absolutely clean, with those dinky rollers a speck or two of dirt will go a long way towards the bearing's destruction. And don't let anyone tell you that a hammer and chisel (or air hammer) is the speedy way to press the bearing back in - one misplaced whack can ruin the survival rate. I think that's probably the largest cause of repeat failures.

I need to get down there, but life's detours are still screwing with my free time. I had to abandon (read: lose money) on my reservations for airline and dude ranch in Colorado made last year just before my plumbing was re-worked. They gave me a year to use it and I still couldn't find the time. I'm going to the cardio doc Tuesday for a little chat. They've found another blockage just past one of the by-passes and it needs to be addressed soon. Since I've more than met my out-of-pocket expenses for the year I need to do whatever it's going to take before the end of the year. Hopefully there will be a significant amount of recuperation involved and I'll be able to come down for some winter fishing. I should be able to be there before snook is out of season, but I'll miss the specks by a couple months. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a squealer or two and maybe a nice big lake lizard...

Last edited by Beav; 10-19-2002 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:26 AM

thanks, and I hope all goes well for you at the doc's place.

Somebody at work has a little sign saying something like "getting old isn't for wimps", to bad it's true.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:27 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
a little farther OT

I knew it was too good to be true, an 1860sf home on 2 acres with a six car heated garage for $127k. Even adjacent to the city's (small town) fishing lake. A friend of mine's restaurant is about eight blocks away. My g/f is a county planner there and works nearby.... (can you say "County plans for new boat dock at Beav's house"? )

Unfortunately it was surrounded by some of the most dilapidated housing in the state. Where is Mrs. O'Leary's cow when you need it?! Here Bossy, come on girl, kick your heels up....