Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2002, 12:17 PM
gcookaustin

Coolant leak?

Where does my coolant go? I flushed out the system and refilled the radiator to the top, and filled the reservior to the F mark. A couple of days ago I checked and it was halfway between the F and the L, and now it's at the L (when the engine is cold). I haven't noticed anything on the ground.
Also, in other news, I armor-all'd the car yesterday (the dash, console, and front seats) and man it looks brand new in there!
Old 10-14-2002, 01:04 PM

Coolant: It may just be that the system is self purging air that was introduced during the flush. Since you don't mention the gauge indicating overheating, I would just add a 50/50 mix to the tank and continue to watch it.

Warning!! Strong personal opinion to follow...

Armor-all: Armor-all may make it look good, but that's it. I wouldn't use Armor all for anything other than the inside of the fender well. Living in FLA, I've seen many dashes crack that owners thought they had protected by using armor-all.

IMHO:
Vinyl care: Best is 303 Aerospace Protectant (kinda expensive @ 5X Armor-all prices). Second is the Lexol product (about 2X Armor-all). Lexol can be found at Pep Boys (I think that's a national chain?). 303 is usually found at marine stores or small aircraft supply locations. I spray 303 on a foam wax applicator (mostly to control overspray), wipe it on the dash & console, let it soak in, then wipe off excess.
Leather care: Best is Leatherique (again high $$, but then it gets recommendation from companies like Bentley). Second is Lexol again, or maybe Griotts, or Meguiar's.

If you don't want to take my opinion at face value (and I wouldn't blame you), find a professional detail shop and ask them.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:45 PM

Meguiars Natural Shine (Vinyl and Rubber Protectant) seems to work well also.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 10-14-2002 at 11:47 PM.