Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Right in the Middle

Old 02-14-2010, 02:57 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Soooo, Thinking about moving to Denver / Boulder, CO... What to expect?

Howdy guys! Long time no see (my bad I know )...

Anyway, it looks like I'll FINALLY be done with school here at NC State University in Raleigh, NC in December 2010... I'm kicking around the idea of moving out of NC and infact, out of this side of the country... Everything I have ever seen about Colorado has just been so attractive to me! The weather, the terrain, the ski resorts, etc...

Here's a bit about me, if you have any advice for me (suggestions or whatever) please post up!

__________________________________________________ _________

I am 27years old, ex-US Marine, current US Army National Guard, and graduating from NC State University with a BS in Environmental Technology (Science), Organic Chemistry & Toxicology. So I'll be looking for a job with either a government run environmental research facility, Environmental Health & Safety position, Water quality, Air quality, basically ANYTHING dealing with the environment. Any suggestions on where to look for jobs?? I figure now is a good time to start looking (can't hurt atleast)...

I LOVE my hobbies (Track Days, Autocrossing, Mountain Bike Racing, etc)... Is there anything particularly interesting about the Denver area which I might like?

Housing... I've heard that houses in the Denver / Boulder area are rather expensive. Can anyone confirm this? If so, where would you recommend looking for housing?

Are there regular Subaru meets up there? I imagine because of the location and weather that Subaru's are rather popular up there, but that isn't always a sure sign of what the local community is like...

__________________________________________________ ___________

Thanks very much for the info in advance guys!! Hopefully I'll get out there sometime in the Summer to visit!!

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Soooo, Thinking about moving to Denver / Boulder, CO... What to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarine View Post
Howdy guys! Long time no see (my bad I know )...

Anyway, it looks like I'll FINALLY be done with school here at NC State University in Raleigh, NC in December 2010... I'm kicking around the idea of moving out of NC and infact, out of this side of the country... Everything I have ever seen about Colorado has just been so attractive to me! The weather, the terrain, the ski resorts, etc...

Here's a bit about me, if you have any advice for me (suggestions or whatever) please post up!

__________________________________________________ _________

I am 27years old, ex-US Marine, current US Army National Guard, and graduating from NC State University with a BS in Environmental Technology (Science), Organic Chemistry & Toxicology. So I'll be looking for a job with either a government run environmental research facility, Environmental Health & Safety position, Water quality, Air quality, basically ANYTHING dealing with the environment. Any suggestions on where to look for jobs?? I figure now is a good time to start looking (can't hurt atleast)...

I LOVE my hobbies (Track Days, Autocrossing, Mountain Bike Racing, etc)... Is there anything particularly interesting about the Denver area which I might like?

Housing... I've heard that houses in the Denver / Boulder area are rather expensive. Can anyone confirm this? If so, where would you recommend looking for housing?

Are there regular Subaru meets up there? I imagine because of the location and weather that Subaru's are rather popular up there, but that isn't always a sure sign of what the local community is like...

__________________________________________________ ___________

Thanks very much for the info in advance guys!! Hopefully I'll get out there sometime in the Summer to visit!!

~ Chris
You mean you don't love NC .... Honestly from what i know about CO it has tons of subarus and plenty of WRX STi meets. Check Nasioc they have a pretty active section.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 02-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

I grew up in the mountains above Boulder, and moved to California when I was 18. I miss it a lot.

You'd fit right in there for many reasons. First and foremost; Subarus are everywhere! Seriously, you can't swing a cat without hitting another Sooby.

As for the environmental stuff, well Boulder has a bit of a reputation which is well earned. You're probably aware of NCAR and NOAA, both based out of Boulder, as well as independent research/conservation groups such as the Access Fund (Golden) all local to the area. CU Boulder also has research stations scattered all across the front range, which I believe employ full time workers in addition to students, and many smaller groups and companies operate out of that area.

Culturally, Boulder is both good and bad for the same reasons. The environmental focus means lots of open space land, trails, etc. Recreation is big there. You mentioned Mtn biking, well you could spend your whole life riding there and never see every mile of trails. Rock climbing is some of the best in the world, and kayaking on a world class level is very popular there. Where's the bad? Well, they do call it the People's Republic of Boulder. Everybody wants to get in your business, and tell you how to live. I can tolerate Hollywood liberals, but Boulder is on a whole other level. I lived outside a town called Nederland (about 45min above Boulder), and the mountain folks keep to themselves and expect others to do the same. Housing is much cheaper the higher up you go, and I feel the people up there are more my type. The perfect way (in my mind) to do that area is to live in a little cabin in the woods, and commute to Boulder down one of the jaw-dropping canyons from the high country.

You're lucky to have picked a profession that has a big demand in Boulder. I'd move back if I could, but seeing as I work in film, I'd end up having to change my carrier or teach at the University. Good luck with your move, and if you end up there let us know how it goes.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Chris,

Having worked with Lockheed Martin (Denver) and CU (Boulder) for over 15 years, my vote would be for Boulder over Denver. Given your degrees, Boulder is also the better fit (add the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) at CU to the organizations noted above). The Pearl street area in Boulder has a similar feel to Georgetown in D.C., if that helps

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: