Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 12-07-2009, 12:13 PM

Angry Bad SVX Day

Hi - a couple of days ago I was driving gently along and suddenly 'BANG' the heated rear window exploded. It had been switched on for about five minutes or so. Fortunately not far away, so I was able to get home OK.

Anyway, I first called Autoglass (Truro) who tried very hard to locate a replacement, without success. Their website advertises "Any glass, any vehicle - Autoglass® can repair or replace any type of glass on any make, model or age of vehicle."

Apart from SVX's obviously.

Also tried Auto Windscreens - same story.

Next, I contacted Des, the parts man at my nearest Subaru dealership (Ashburton, Devon) who was most helpful. Basically, there are none in stock in the UK, or Europe, or Japan. However, it is not listed as 'discontinued' so there is some hope that Japan might produce one (£625). He has offered to order one for me.

Before I do that, has anyone got any bright ideas?

Cutting one out of a scrapper looks almost impossible.

In the absence of locating another rear window, my lovely low mileage 96 will have to be scrapped. Quelle horreur!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:22 PM

Re: Bad SVX Day

I would think there would be some way to get glass out of a scrap yard car, to put into yours...

A piece of glass seems like a bad reason for a car to go to the scrap yard, especially a low mileage one.

shame that it is so hard to find this part... one would think glass would be stocked, for collision repairs.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:31 PM

Thanks BoxerFanatic. Do you know whether they are stocked 'on the shelf' in the US?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:56 PM

No, I don't, unfortunately, but perhaps some of the guys around here who do have inside access to the parts system, perhaps they could find out...

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Subaruparts.com lists them as available in blue for US$460.60 and bronze for US$501.03. The rubber seal is an additional US$23.00. This should be a good price comparison if you wish to contact one of the other Subaru dealers recommended on this forum.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 12-07-2009, 04:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

You may want to PM Mike621. He is an SVX owner and an auto glass technician. I know that he has removed this window from his car and reinstalled it with no problems. Perhaps he could offer tips.

Mike
2001 Audi S8
Old 12-08-2009, 08:58 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3 View Post
Subaruparts.com lists them as available in blue for US$460.60 and bronze for US$501.03. The rubber seal is an additional US$23.00. This should be a good price comparison if you wish to contact one of the other Subaru dealers recommended on this forum.
Gene
The seal is a foam damn for the urethane and is unnecessary. The molding comes pre-bonded to the glass from the factory. It is unavailable separately, much like the front glass.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:01 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by M30SVX View Post
Hi - a couple of days ago I was driving gently along and suddenly 'BANG' the heated rear window exploded. It had been switched on for about five minutes or so. Fortunately not far away, so I was able to get home OK.

Anyway, I first called Autoglass (Truro) who tried very hard to locate a replacement, without success. Their website advertises "Any glass, any vehicle - Autoglass® can repair or replace any type of glass on any make, model or age of vehicle."

Apart from SVX's obviously.

Also tried Auto Windscreens - same story.

Next, I contacted Des, the parts man at my nearest Subaru dealership (Ashburton, Devon) who was most helpful. Basically, there are none in stock in the UK, or Europe, or Japan. However, it is not listed as 'discontinued' so there is some hope that Japan might produce one (£625). He has offered to order one for me.

Before I do that, has anyone got any bright ideas?

Cutting one out of a scrapper looks almost impossible.

In the absence of locating another rear window, my lovely low mileage 96 will have to be scrapped. Quelle horreur!
Used glass can be removed from salvage vehicles by an experienced technician with the right tools at his disposal. I used a tool that equates essentially to a sawzall with a spackle knife on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
You may want to PM Mike621. He is an SVX owner and an auto glass technician manager. I know that he has removed this window from his car and reinstalled it with no problems. Perhaps he could offer tips.

Mike
I did remove and reinstall glass on several SVXs with success. With the proper tools it can be done. Too bad you aren't stateside, as we have a few rear windows in stock. Shipping would be astronomical, and the chances of it being damaged during shipping are high.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:49 AM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX

Before you scrap the car for a broken back windshield, it might be worth looking into selling the car to someone in the States who can repair the window for very little cost. The car sounds too good for the scrap yard.
Just a thought
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 12-10-2009, 12:17 PM

Smile Re: Bad SVX Day

Thanks Guys - things have moved on pretty fast in the last couple of days!

I phoned my good mate Howard, who runs a breaker's yard in Yorkshire, and he quickly offered to take out the rear window of the scrapper SVX he's got there, using a 'cheese wire'. An hour later he phoned to say that it was out, intact and ready for collection. £60 !!

I hadn't realised that breaker's yards are quite so expert at taking out bonded screens as they usually remove all the glass before the remaining car is crushed.

So I jumped in the wife's car and picked it up (800 mile round trip). We didn't want to trust a courier.

Autoglass in Truro offered to fit it for £78 and 24 hours later it's all in and looking great again. Yippee!

Autoglass fitted a new flush rubber seal as the pre-bonded rubber moulding had been damaged when it was cut out. They did such a good job - it looks like new.

I have even been brave enough to switch the heating element on!

I probably panicked a bit to start with, especially when I found out that a new rear window glass is unobtainable, except perhaps in the US, although Subaruparts.com haven't so far replied to my pleading email to ship one to the UK.

So my bad SVX day finally got better.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:15 PM

congrats, and good to hear the car is back up and going.

------------

Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX

That's excellent. It pays to be persistent and find a solution to what appears to be a problem... Good work....
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 12-19-2009, 11:06 AM

Send a message via MSN to isti3223

hi
sorry i had not read this before,i have a rear glass in my garden sed for a few years now,ready to fit.anyway good you sorted out,istvan
Old 12-21-2009, 05:38 AM

Thanks Istvan - if I manage to do it again, I'll know who to ask!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: