Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 07-21-2009, 04:22 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: JDM style Front bumper cover/spoiler (resurrected)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
Just not feelin' the center intake's height.

Personally, I would much rather see a composite hood with a good heat extractor slat, or 2.5RS-style hood vents, or something. It doesn't really need a scoop, but if it were to have one, a Legacy-type, (which new Forester XT also wears) or Saab 9^2x integrated scoop would be better than a periscope-like scoop, like many of the Foresters and Imprezas wore.

It seems like a bit of heat extraction would help as much as larger open frontal area. It is hard to ram more cool air into the engine bay, when the air has nowhere to escape from the engine bay, and just raises underhood temperatures, and heat-soaks everything.
Boxer, I completely agree with your second paragraph here. High under bonnet temperatures over time cause degradation on the wiring and rubber tubing of the EG 33, leading to problems with older SVXes. [They are all old now ]

Regards your first paragraph, it's important that we separate style, that which we think looks better, from function, that which does its job better, when we select a hood scoop.

Both the "periscope" [I like it ] scoop on the Forester, and the more sleek scoop on the current Legacy are designed to do the same job, provide high pressure cooling air forcing through a top mount intercooler. Naturally the higher the air pressure through the matrix, the more efficient is the cooling of the charge.

If you look at a side view of the last model Forester you can see the reason for the periscope. The bonnet of the Forester is nearly horizontal and the nose of the car is blunt. At higher speed incident airflow is being diverted upwards towards top of the screen, and the higher scoop is required to catch more of this air.

In the case of the Legacy GT, the hood slope line is much more similar to the line of the SVX. Fast high pressure air is flowing across the hood, and it is far easier to catch this air and force the kind of pressures the cooler needs without mounting a higher scoop.

All of which is a long winded way of saying the Legacy style scoop would work perfectly well to cool the SVX engine bay. Maybe one like this ARC model?:

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 07-21-2009 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:11 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

While I like the hood scoop option w already have, I kind of think our hoods are all about minimalism. The less you do to them, the better they look. I guess I'd have to just see it with my own eyes to see if it looked good, but in my minds eye three agreesive RS scoops would just look out of place.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:51 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

I'm with joe on the size of the scoop.
I think the smaller scoop is for one, all the svx needs, and also for two, the perfect size to fit the flow of the svx without detracting from it's flowing lines All the while giving it the newer subaru look.