Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-18-2009, 06:24 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Now it overheats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Driving on the freeway, even with the AC on, the temperature is fine. Coming off the freeway and stoping at a stop light, the temperature goes up. The longer it takes for the light to change, the more the gage goes up. Driving 3oish, the temperature will come back down to normal. anytime the car stops, the temperature goes up and continues to climb.

I got home and stopped to unlock the security gate and the temperature went up while I did that.

I pulled the car in and as I sat there with the motor running, i increased the rpm quiet a bit. The temperature started going back down and continued to normal.

The motor was running all the time as the temperature fluctuated. Idling the temperature starts going up. Increasing the RPM the temperature comes back down.

It acts as though the water pump impeller is not turning fast enough to circulate the coolant.

Is it possible for the impeller to slip?? The water pump probably has 15,000 miles on it. Real Subaru... If the pump is sizing up, there should be a sound and there should have been a clue of a bad pump with a coolant leak, I would think

Timing belt has a few thousand miles on it and all the pullys were replaced at the same time.

While all this is happening, both fans radiator fans are running.

Any clue??

Keith
Is there any activity in your coolant reservoir or mixing of fluids? You may have a pocket of air like Tom said, though not necessarily caused by exhaust gasses. I'd drain and refill the coolant being extra careful not to trap any air. If that doesn't work pull the thermostat. During these tests check the function of the cooling fans. If the fans are working properly and the above two didn't change anything only then would I start to worry. I've had air pockets in two vehicles that I was sure was a HG. If you didn't overheat the engine chances are you might be ok.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 07-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Now it overheats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Is there any activity in your coolant reservoir or mixing of fluids? You may have a pocket of air like Tom said, though not necessarily caused by exhaust gasses. I'd drain and refill the coolant being extra careful not to trap any air. If that doesn't work pull the thermostat. During these tests check the function of the cooling fans. If the fans are working properly and the above two didn't change anything only then would I start to worry. I've had air pockets in two vehicles that I was sure was a HG. If you didn't overheat the engine chances are you might be ok.
The SVX cooling system is a top center fill w/ a run down radiator. You are not likely to get air pockets unless your cooling system is leaking under suction and pulling air in.

Tom