IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: My car got hit 2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
If you don't report this to the "friends" insurance company you will live to regret it. either way the friendship is going to be strained so might as well get it strained by insisting on just doing it right.

Ask anyone who has been there.

My 2 cents worth.

I will shut up now...

Keith
I talked to him about it a little last night. I asked him about reporting it and he doesn't want a wreckless driving ticket on top of what he'd have to pay for a deductible.
He does have someone who does body work that will do it for a good price and has 20+years of experience. Also it is his dad who is my main mechanic for things I can't do or when I need to use a lift so I will have him take a good look at all suspension parts to double check everything is solid.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:20 AM

Registered SVX

Question about ordering body parts...
If you purchase say the whole fender, do the clips and bolts needed for that part come with or do they need to be ordered separately?
Old 04-05-2009, 08:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Question about ordering body parts...
If you purchase say the whole fender, do the clips and bolts needed for that part come with or do they need to be ordered separately?
No. When you buy a fender, all you get is the fender.
2001 Audi S8
Old 04-05-2009, 08:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I talked to him about it a little last night. I asked him about reporting it and he doesn't want a wreckless driving ticket on top of what he'd have to pay for a deductible.
He does have someone who does body work that will do it for a good price and has 20+years of experience. Also it is his dad who is my main mechanic for things I can't do or when I need to use a lift so I will have him take a good look at all suspension parts to double check everything is solid.
I suppose we don't know the whole story here, but I think you should be less concerned about what he wants, and more concerned about protecting your interests. If this is not formally reported, he can REALLY end up screwing you in the future.

Don't you think, friend or not, that he SHOULD get a reckless driving ticket? Isn't that what he was doing when he damaged your property?
2001 Audi S8
Old 04-05-2009, 09:34 AM

Don't know about your state but a ticket doesn't necessarily come with an insurance claim.

Keith
Old 04-05-2009, 10:02 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
I suppose we don't know the whole story here, but I think you should be less concerned about what he wants, and more concerned about protecting your interests. If this is not formally reported, he can REALLY end up screwing you in the future.

Don't you think, friend or not, that he SHOULD get a reckless driving ticket? Isn't that what he was doing when he damaged your property?
Yes Mike, he probably does deserve a ticket to be honest.
and
Thanks for the info on the body part

It is him, my other best friend and myself that have all been best friends for over 7 years now and all of us have done something that the other has cut us some breaks. I will be talking to him a little more over the next week to further decide whether it will be best to just do what is right and report it or go the other route. Currently I am leaning towards reporting it based off of what everyone else is saying and becuase I do prefer it be done right.

I also did some looking and it is possible to file an accident report in Wisconsin without the immediate involvement of local authorities so this further leans me towards wanting to report it.

Thank you for everyone's input as well as concerns. I hope I am able to sort this out and still have my best friend but we'll see what happens.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:57 AM

Hope it works out for the best of all involved

Keith
Old 04-07-2009, 11:53 AM

Registered SVX

JUST AN UPDATE!!!

Well, my friend talked to his insurance company today and they told him that he does NOT need to fill out an accident report for it unless he wants a ticket He also does not have to pay a deductible for the damage to my SVX. He only would have to cover the deductible if he gets his car done but since his only has a couple black marks on the fender from my mirror and a few scuffs on the plastic side molding, he will not claim it.

So I have never dealt with insurance claims before and it seems as though people have to fight tooth and nail to get things right. So what is the best way of going about things? As I said, we know someone with a body shop that will basically do whatever I want as far as getting parts new rather than just repairing the damaged parts and I would get OEM fender obviously. I also prefer to get an OEM door as I can just barely see a bubble (of rust) coming up under the plastic(have to look Real close though), OEM mud guard, rubber fender liner, both plastic side moldings on door and under, OEM heated mirror. The bumpers I will get new but that would probably push the cost too high and make them want to total it.

Is it possible to submit an estimate for something-say including OEM bumpers but if they total it, resubmitting without the bumper work done to see if they will repair it for the lower cost?

Also, are all of the parts I mentioned above still available to purchase? They have prices on Subaruparts.com but that doesn't always mean anything.

Also for the few of you who have negotiated lower prices with local dealerships for parts, How did you go about doing it as It would save a lot on shipping costs for the parts?

I will probably have more questions in the near future but I am just glad that This car will be getting put back together one way or another
Old 04-07-2009, 12:09 PM

new fender... yes... insist on it and check before the repair starts to make sure they actually have a new gotten a new fender. It will have black primer on it. If they call you saying great news, we found a fender for you! ask if it is a "new" one. If they ask "Is a used one ok??" Say nooooooooo. Lots of crooks out there. I did that with my shop and wouldn't leave my car with the shop till they got the new fender in and I actually went into the shop and "laid hands on it" to make sure.
new door... not a chance... but looks to me like your existing door can be repaired perfectly!
They also will provide you with a rental car while the repairs are being done. In case they neglect to arrange that, tell them that you want it!

You can also pick a shop that is certified to repair it to your satisfaction and that will be guaranteed!

Looks like the "SVX form team" has gotten you on the right path!

Good luck!

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 04-07-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:15 PM

Unless your bumper cover is actually torn, that is not a consideration. All you should want is for the car to be done correctly at no cost to you. Fair is fair!

Keith
Old 05-05-2009, 04:46 PM

Registered SVX

Well, quick update. Looks like it will probably be totalled. My friend finally got around to starting the claim so I went and had the car looked at for a couple estimates. The one I have in hand is for about $3500 and another shop I went to didn't have their actual evaluator there and so I had info taken down as well as pics and they will be getting back to me tomorrow.

The good news is that if it is in fact totalled, I will be able to take the money and pay off the loan on the car and then I will be looking for silver parts to replace this and have it look "okay" until I eventually get it fully de-dinged and repainted a couple years down the road.

The insurance adjustor will be coming by the end of the week so that is when I will figure out what they will say the car is worth and then I'll have to fight to get as much as possible...
Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 PM

Wow... Glad to see I'm not the only person out there who thinks that black center caps look waaaaaaaaaaay better than the nasty faded greenish yellow that they tend to get. I figured I'd get some flak for doing that to mine, but now I see I'm not the only one who got that idea
Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeJaye View Post
Wow... Glad to see I'm not the only person out there who thinks that black center caps look waaaaaaaaaaay better than the nasty faded greenish yellow that they tend to get. I figured I'd get some flak for doing that to mine, but now I see I'm not the only one who got that idea
haha, actually they were like that when I bought the car and they are actually not black but just a dark grey.
Insurance adjuster comes in about 5 hours... I need sleep...
Old 05-06-2009, 02:32 PM

Registered SVX

Well, everything is going to be getting fixed, The whole driver's side will be getting fresh paint and then blended into the hood. New, OEM fender but they are using a used mirror that will also get fresh paint. This also means that the slight rust starting on the driver's side door and driver's quarterpanel will also be taken care of.