How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-15-2007, 04:50 PM

Registered SVX
Rear wiper timing off

My rear wiper timing is off. When I use it and turn it off while it's wiping the wiper arm will stop where ever it is in its range of motion and won't automatically return to its resting position. Is this a timing problem with the motor?
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 10-15-2007, 06:03 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxash View Post
My rear wiper timing is off. When I use it and turn it off while it's wiping the wiper arm will stop where ever it is in its range of motion and won't automatically return to its resting position. Is this a timing problem with the motor?
The motor incorporates a change over limit switch, which normally keeps the motor running after the main supply is turned off, until the park position is reached. At this point the switch interrupts the supply and the motor stops. In order to facilitate this, the supply wiring includes four conductors.

The switch within the motor assembly could be faulty. Alternatively there could be a short between the conductors in the supply loom, but this would appear unlikely.

The system also incorporates a change over relay in the circuitry and this constitutes a second likely culprit. This relay is located beneath the rear parcel shelf. I am not sure as to whether access is via the trunk or from inside the car. Someone else may be able to confirm.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I am not sure as to whether access is via the trunk or from inside the car. Someone else may be able to confirm.
Access the entire rear wiper assembly, including the relay, from inside the trunk.

dcb
Old 10-16-2007, 07:06 AM

Registered SVX
I forgot to mention that before this happened the fuse was blown. I replaced it and that is when all of this started. If a switch is faulty is there anyway to know which one it is and a way to test it?
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 10-16-2007, 07:50 AM

My 92 started doing the exact same thing just a couple of months ago. I originally suspected the combination switch, specifically the one that activates the rear wiper, but I haven't dug much deeper. I just stopped using the rear wiper unless I relaly need it. I'll mess with it some in the next month or so and let you know what I find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxash View Post