SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2002, 12:28 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
We got into an empty parking lot and stop the car. Turned the steering to right completly and slam the gas. The car is now spinning in a circle. As soon as I was about the loose the car, VDC controls kick in and the power cuts out on the car for a second or so. Amazing. I also did a 90 deg turn and a U turn at speeds over 40mph. Amazing car. I love the SVX... If only the VDC sedan comes in 5 speed....

See guys, FHI did not do 5 speed with H6 10 years ago. They still don't. What does it mean? As far as I know the only people that make 5 speed on H6 with this kind of power is the porche. I just might have to go find me a porche tranny for the SVX...

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-13-2002, 08:56 AM
billisa

terrible marketing in an uninformed market

Cars in Australia are about double in price compared to here in the states. What I noticed there is people tend to take care of what they have and know what they're buying. How many Americans have a great car, but can't even tell you whether they have a 4 or 6 under the hood? The SVX was/is a phenomenal car dropped by Subaru into an unappreciative, undiscerning market. In music, one can find better and more recordings (of American artists) in foreign markets that pay more for CD's, but demand more as well. Perhaps this explains the "better" transmission option in overseas market SVX's.

We Americans are so much into name-plate and image... Hence Hondas that are sold as "Hondas" in Oz are Acuras in the US... Amazingly, many Americans don't know Acuras and Infinitys are
Hondas and Nissans! A friend paid $40,000 for his new Acura and was insulted I intimated (flat out said) it was a Honda.

Personally, I think Subaru was terrible at marketing their products. The "inexpensive, and built to stay that way," motto undermined the $28,000 SVX, as did a complete lack of advertizing. Actually, Legacy sales were not good at all until the shift to the Outback/Paul Hogan approach. My hunch is a re-release of the SVX, or similar super-car, would do much better now than in'92.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:06 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: terrible marketing in an uninformed market

Quote:
Originally posted by billisa

We Americans are so much into name-plate and image... Hence Hondas that are sold as "Hondas" in Oz are Acuras in the US... Amazingly, many Americans don't know Acuras and Infinitys are
Hondas and Nissans! A friend paid $40,000 for his new Acura and was insulted I intimated (flat out said) it was a Honda.
I fully agree with you. They are hondas. Same thing with Lexus and Toyota. I am not saying hondas and toyotas and nissans are bad. They are nice cars. They are just not my type. I do like the look of people when I say "hey, you own a honda integra?" Then I had to explain that they are made by honda and that the engine actally says honda.

Well, in my new search for car, I want an AWD sedan. So the choices I have are the rare 3 series BMW (but I want the 5 series), Audi A4 (too small), or the Subarus. I looked into the Legacy limited 5 speed but you can't really make it fly.It already has the compression ration of 12:1 on it's 2.5L engine. Although I want a sitck shift, I guess I will have to settle for the VDC.

It's amazing why people don't really care for Subarus and once you drive one, you will never leave one.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-13-2002, 06:42 PM

50/50

The XT6 came with 50/50 package.
04 VW Beetle GLS
Old 07-14-2002, 08:03 AM
red95svx

The XT6 was 4WD, not AWD.

David
Old 07-14-2002, 08:13 AM

xt6

MY xt6 was both awd and 4wd.
04 VW Beetle GLS
Old 07-15-2002, 06:47 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Torque Split, 90/10,60/40,50/50,36/64?

The amount of torque split varies with the type of gearbox.
The US model is a basic front wheel drive model with a multi plate clutch welded to the output's shafts transfer gear.

When the TCU detects front wheel slippage, From the two speed sensors, Pressure is applied to the clutch to transfer torque to the rear wheels.
Under cruise conditions in drive, the clutch applies 10% of the torque to the rear wheels. If slippage occurs more pressure is applied to prevent front wheel spin, up to a maximum of 50%,where the clutch is fully locked up. All the rear wheel drive is transferred through the clutch.

The other gear box, uses a epicyclic gear set, that because of the different gear ratios, of the sun and planet gears, driving the front wheels, to the set driving the rear wheels. This results in 36% of the torque to the front wheels, 64% to the rear wheels. This split can vary to 100% front 0% rear or 0% front 100% rear.

The multi plate clutch is used to control the torque split. Fully applied it's 50/50. The clutch doesn't carry the full torque to the rear wheels.

The difference between the two, is the US one is front wheel drive with rear assist. The Rest of the World one is rear wheel drive with front assist. This changes the way the car handles. The
US understeers, the other, slight oversteer.

Why is it so? I still think it was the dyno problem more that any other. I don't think it was a cost thing, as the Legacy was the same, different in the US to the rest of the world.

The VDC uses the same AWD system as the RHD models. Just uses more sensors to detect yawl or lateral movement, to straighten the car out of a slide, it also varies the torque split through a curve depending on speed and throttle opening.

I think I prefer to drive my car, instead of letting a computer decide my fate. If I want to put the car sideways to hit a bank, I don't want the computer to straighten the car out to hit it front on. I think it depends on how much of a driver you are.

Anyhow thats the way I see it.

Harvey.

ps Glad I live in Oz.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
AWD

Lwin, an A4 is too small but a 3 series isn't? I think those 3 series look horrible for a BMW... not that I like the new A4's. How about a an S4... still get AWD with a 5 speed, but it looks pretty sweet (IMHO), and has a pretty good aftermarket (not that it isn't fast stock). Sure the insurance premiums would suck and they have a hefty price tag... but so do most cars anywhere near their class, right?

-Aaron

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 07-16-2002, 05:26 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Torque Split, 90/10,60/40,50/50,36/64?

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au
The difference between the two, is the US one is front wheel drive with rear assist. The Rest of the World one is rear wheel drive with front assist. This changes the way the car handles. The
US understeers, the other, slight oversteer.

Why is it so? I still think it was the dyno problem more that any other. I don't think it was a cost thing, as the Legacy was the same, different in the US to the rest of the world.

The VDC uses the same AWD system as the RHD models. Just uses more sensors to detect yawl or lateral movement, to straighten the car out of a slide, it also varies the torque split through a curve depending on speed and throttle opening.

I think I prefer to drive my car, instead of letting a computer decide my fate. If I want to put the car sideways to hit a bank, I don't want the computer to straighten the car out to hit it front on. I think it depends on how much of a driver you are.

Anyhow thats the way I see it.

Harvey.

ps Glad I live in Oz.
Hi Harvey

Interesting point you are making. Explains a good deal. Have read a number of posts about US members being unhappy with the car's snow performance. Usually rationalised as a tyre problem. Could be caused by the transfer clutch also.

I am a fan of computer control, unless you are driving on the limit. So I don't accept your argument for road or everyday cars. The computer control will curb stupidity and amateur heroics. In so doing it takes away that 10% of extra handling that good drivers need, and can handle safely. For the vast majority of fools, it will save their lives, and the lives of others on the roads with them.

I have seen the same argument against Honda's linked brakes for bikes like the Blackbird and the Pan. It is the argument for ultimate control left in the hands of experts, versus speed with safety dumbed down for gifted amateurs.

Like the heroine in The Piano, I choose life.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl