Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 10-18-2006, 08:54 AM

Exclamation Owner's manual inconsistencies.

It's been a cold miserable day, so I spent lunchtime sitting in the pub reading the UK model's owner's manual - am I sad or what?

Any road up, I found two glaring inconsistencies which I thought I should record in the hope that anybody noticing any others may wish to highlight them.

1. Page 3-11 mentions the centre diff warning light. This is vital to note as the 4wd fuse locks the centre diff. But, lo and behold, page 10-15 tells you to do exactly the wrong thing (by inserting the fuse) if testing the car in gear with front jacked up or on rollers. It seems to me that there is nothing that you can do to test the car whilst in this condition.

2. A minor point, but one that I cannot confirm or deny, as I do not have the standard fit radio. Page 5-5 refers to the radio manually tuning in 10kHz increments on A.M. and 200kHz increments on F.M., surely this must be wrong??

Are there any other traps for the unwary?
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of Science, whatever the matter may be.
Sir William Thomson
Old 10-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
That information sounds correct for us in North America.

200KHz = .2 MHz
Old 10-18-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm

200KHz = .2 MHz
But not right for the UK. 9kHz channel steps on medium wave, and 1khz on longwave, 50kHz (or better still 25kHz) on FM.
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of Science, whatever the matter may be.
Sir William Thomson
Old 10-23-2006, 05:29 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPeteReally
It's been a cold miserable day, so I spent lunchtime sitting in the pub reading the UK model's owner's manual - am I sad or what?

Any road up, I found two glaring inconsistencies which I thought I should record in the hope that anybody noticing any others may wish to highlight them.

1. Page 3-11 mentions the centre diff warning light. This is vital to note as the 4wd fuse locks the centre diff. But, lo and behold, page 10-15 tells you to do exactly the wrong thing (by inserting the fuse) if testing the car in gear with front jacked up or on rollers. It seems to me that there is nothing that you can do to test the car whilst in this condition.

2. A minor point, but one that I cannot confirm or deny, as I do not have the standard fit radio. Page 5-5 refers to the radio manually tuning in 10kHz increments on A.M. and 200kHz increments on F.M., surely this must be wrong??

Are there any other traps for the unwary?
Seems funny allright Pete.

3-11 in mine is the same as yours. Likewise 5.5 refers to the same increments.

But 10-15 in mine is a different page, does not refer to what you mention here.

Now mine is from a UK car, and mentions correctly that putting in the fuse locks the differential. Strangely though, the radio tune increments do seem to be the USA ones as you noticed. I had a USA radio in my twin-turbo Legacy. It was useful for the estate, because you could "feed" 10 CDs into the double din unit in the dash, you did not need a boot changer that would be in the way. However, because the radio would only tune in .2 steps, as opposed to the .1 steps that ours use, it was physically impossible to get all stations. Likewise, it had a different range than is usual for us. It worked really well as a CD though, and fit the dash nicely.

I'm sure this radio thing is a mistake. The manuals are compiled in modular fashion for all markets. [The antenna up-down button is shown in a diagram from a LHD car, yet this button was never on US cars] They just did not notice that USA radios have a different tuner.

The mistake with the fuse is way harder to forgive. Are you sure the book is originally from the UK? In my experience, USA books are A5 shape, purple-grey cover, whicle UK books are long and narrow [like a cut-off A4] and white cover.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 10-23-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:34 AM

Quote:
The mistake with the fuse is way harder to forgive. Are you sure the book is originally from the UK? In my experience, USA books are A5 shape, purple-grey cover, whicle UK books are long and narrow [like a cut-off A4] and white cover.
Mine's a white UK manual, the part number on the rear cover is A3070GE and the publication date is October 1996.
Sir William Thomson
Old 10-26-2006, 07:20 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPeteReally
But not right for the UK. 9kHz channel steps on medium wave, and 1khz on longwave, 50kHz (or better still 25kHz) on FM.
We have an original UK SVX radio in our Legacy. I just checked it: The steps are 9kHz on AM and 50kHz on FM. As you said, the manual is wrong.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 03-03-2007, 03:12 AM

Send a message via MSN to 2NI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm

200KHz = .2 MHz

I do have a US spec radio in my car and it's exactly that. Moves up or down 0.2Mhz on odd figures only! Almost useless here...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: