How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-04-2002, 05:37 PM
Boone

4EAT Info

Hey, There's a lot of good tranny info at this site.

http://www.endwrench.com/current.html
Old 04-05-2002, 01:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Sounds logical to me, but the one that broke on me was the gear attached directly to the rear drive shaft. The welds actually broke loose so the gear was sort of just free floating without being attached to anything.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
The last sets of clutches on this main shaft is the transfer clutches for the rear wheels. Right in front of the transfer clutch is the reduction gear. This reduction gear drives a gear on another shaft that goes from the back of the tranny to the front differential.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:12 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I tried to look at that site but there is not good overall sectional of the tranny.

I remember when you got your tranny fixed. The RWD was not working and they said that gear was the reason. It makes no sense to me. The shaft goes straight through the gear to the transfer clutches for the RWD. If the gear was spinning on the shaft the rear wheels could still have gotten power. If the gear was spinning on the shaft it would have damaged the shaft also. If the shaft can't turn that gear then the FWD will not work. The power for the front wheels goes through these two gears.

It just does not make sense to me and I guess I am missing another part of the puzzle that would put it all together..
Old 04-05-2002, 06:05 AM
SuperRuu

tranny

Well i talked to subie today and the said they could
fix the SVX for 2700. Cool!!! so it's gettin fixed today.
Old 04-05-2002, 06:47 AM
svxeno

Re: tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperRuu
Sup,

I just went thru this. You'll feel a whole-lot-betta with a new (rebuilt) tranny in there. Had it been replaced before? I knew it was the largest ticket item that was inevitable so when it was done I could relax and enjoy the car. I assume your getting 2 yr 24,000 mi warranty. Worry free tranny days WOOHOO!

Randy (Still hated to spend $2700) ii
Old 04-05-2002, 06:50 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperRuu
That is a good deal because you get a rebuilt front differential, Torque converter and planetaries included in that price. (along with the solenoids, control valve and transfer valve) Right? I mean Subaru calls the tranny the WHOLE thing that comes out. If you went to any other rebuilder all that stuff is extra and it can cost a lot more.

I had my exhaust out awhile ago and it may be wise to have them replace all the spring bolts and gaskets. The gaskets by the spring bolts can get disturbed and break down later, depending on the age and how the pipes are handled during removal.

AND don't let them give you and crap about needing a new CAT or heat shields. The heat shields can be cut and bent to obtain access to the spring bolts and then bent back. There is no way the heat shield bolts will come out the cat. They will be rusted firmly in place.

You may also need a tranny mount.
Old 04-06-2002, 05:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Clutch basket broke off.

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
Sounds logical to me, but the one that broke on me was the gear attached directly to the rear drive shaft. The welds actually broke loose so the gear was sort of just free floating without being attached to anything.

KuoH

Gid'ay KuoH, I remember when you had this problem on Yahoo.

The transfer gears, transfer the drive from the end of the transmission mainshaft, to the front output shaft, to drive the front wheels. As in the front wheel drive model. When AWD is fitted the rear drive clutch basket, is welded to the transfer gear on the end of the transmisson mainshaft to drive the back wheels.
I reckon yours broke the weld that holds clutch basket to the mainshaft gear. Hence front wheel drive but no rear wheel action.

BTW. they are not reduction gears, as they have the same number of teeth on each.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-06-2002, 08:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Yeah Harvey, I called it a gear, but it did look kind of like a basket. Maybe after I see one of those tranny diagrams I'll be able to make more sense.

KuoH